I don't drink water. Does this affect my workouts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flutterfists, Apr 13, 2006.

1. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

I have 4 hours of martial arts a week, 2 hours back to back every Tuesday and Thursday.

Once or twice each class, we're offered a quick trip to the drinking fountain, which I sometimes do - but I never swallow more than a sip or two, knowing I'll get a stomach ache if I drink too much and start working out again.

Not sure if anyone cares to know that, but I figured I'd put it out in the open.

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I am going to guess but the reason for your stomach ache is that your are not used to drinking the water in the first place. If you get used to it you should not have an issue. In fact, just the opposite will happen. Once your H2O intake increases, if you 'forget' to drink, your body will let you know. Oh, btw, about the post where I appear to have a stated that I "can profess to be an expert..." That should read CAN'T profess to be an expert.... Man typing is important. I don't want anyone to think I have an ego or anything. :cool: :Angel:

3. Sarita

Sarita Valued Member

I hate water too flutterfists, but I scrape through 1L a day when not training, and an extra 1-1.5L on days I train. It does make a difference in terms of not being so tired, although I hate to admit it. I try to force down a couple of mugs of green tea a day too (varying success rates - detest that too)

Have you tried drinking room-temperature water? It could be the coldness that's giving you stomach ache. I don't like drinking it chilled - as someone who's got a permanently low body temperature (it only goes up when training then plummets back down to sub zero shortly afterwards) I always equate drinking chilled water with being freezing cold.

Just a thought.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I never drink chilled water either, room temp or cellar temp at lowest for me.

5. flutterfists

I've never tried drinking room-temperature water before. . . the thougth never occured to me, actually. I'll give it a shot.

What is it about being cold that can cause stomach aches?

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

:D. Im the fitness church. Belive me or die fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woo:

7. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

I dont really know about how water affects workouts, but water is good. Drink it.

Lemonade: Drink at parties, on special occasions, etc.

Water: Drink when you are thirsty, or hungry, or bored.

8. Sarita

Sarita Valued Member

Erm, don't know - all I know is it's done that to me in the past, especially if I drink it quickly. Probably something to do with being sensitive and ladylike :)

9. flutterfists

Sensitive? Maybe. Ladylike? Probably not. I'm such a tom-boy. :p

Anyway, I've been drinking more water as of late, and I seem to be tollerating it better. A good sign folks, a good sign.

10. narcsarge

So let us know how you feel in a week or so. It will be interesting to listen to how you felt then, compared with now. Sort of a lab experiment where you volunteered to be the rat! :cool: :Angel:

11. Xav

Xav Valued Member

Lemonade: drink never

12. flutterfists

Why? :confused: It's got lots of water in it, I think.

13. NaughtyKnight

Just because something has water in, doesnt make it good for you.

14. flutterfists

I know. I think it has lots of sugar, if that's what Xav is implying. But I wouldn't think it's as bad as pop or anything.

15. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Well in my opinion is that drinking water will eliminate some of the toxins that are within your body, and will replenish stiff, aching muscles, it'll also deliver nutrients more easily to all parts of your body, it'll reduce the risk from overheating, by making you sweat from your pores. It will also affect your fitness or Martial Art performance, from the minerals that are in the water.

Gatorade however will do the same, but cannot be always replaced by water.

Umm if you don't wanna drink water. Tea maybe the better option, you would have no risks to drink tea, except for teas that have caffine.

Watermelon, pineapple, apples have a lot of water, but have a significant amount of fructose sugars which you don't want to have lots of it, you would be not feeling to well.

Or rather than just plain water you can also buy flavored water. Etc, etc, and etc.

16. flutterfists

I'm actually thinkin' maybe I should wait another week and then start over. I just came down with a cold, and it's definitely getting in the way of my "feeling better." :(

Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing. Unless it's the carbonated kind I've had. . . I drank a glass of that stuff once and it left me feeling more bloated than I ever have in my life.

17. NaughtyKnight

If you have a cold, then drinking water is even more important. Its not exactly hard to drink water, you arent doing anything drastic like quiting smoking.

18. flutterfists

I know. But it's not easy for me. You've gotta realize, up until a week or two ago, I practically never touched the stuff. Like ever. As stated ealier, I actually have a negative physical reaction to drinking it.

But your first sentences is definintely true. I could use the water.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  19. narcsarge

What he said! :cool: :Angel: When you are sick, you body runs a temperature. Thus, using water which causes you water stores to run low. If they are low already, the result is you will overheat. You need water to assist in regulating the body temp. I have seen this when my wife caught the flu (happened more then once). All she did was sleep and did not drink anything but a little soda. Took her to the Emergency room to have I V fluids administered. 4 liters one time! Stay Hydrated my friend! :cool: :Angel:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  20. NaughtyKnight

Here is something that will scare you.

3-4% dehydration = 10-20% reduction in muscle contraction (strength, flexiblity, endurance).