I can walk outside a mile, but not on our treadmill

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tooksomechin_na, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tooksomechin_na

tooksomechin_na Valued Member

I've used several pedometers to track my outdoor walking route and they all say it's a little over a mile, but for some reason it is a lot harder to do on our treadmill, I can't finish it. Any ideas why? If it takes me 30 minutes to do my walk outside, that means my pace never drops below 2 mph. Also, my route has inclines unlike the treadmill, but it is still easier than the treadmill with no incline.

2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Could be a mental thing? I can't run on treadmills for longer than a few minutes just out of boredom. Are you setting your speed too fast on the treadmill?

3. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Somone else had this problem and asked about it. I always thought the raction/walking/running method made it a diffrent type of running to normal. Also you can get inclines on treadmills but depends on models. Unless there is some psych behind going on a treadmill which makes you worse.

4. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

No, that means that your average speed was 2mph. You could have gone 3mph at some points and 1 mph at others (for instance).

What wears out first for you? Cardio/conditioning? Leg muscles? (Which ones?)
    Do you notice that certain muscles fatigue much faster on the treadmill? Your form is likely a little different on the treadmill...

hewho and narcsarge like this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Treadmills is the devils ground. As soon as you step on it, you're stuck and it feels like purgatory. You want to leave, but you can't. You have to finish the journey, time goes to a standstill and you're staring at a blooming wall! or rubbish music TV.
    I tend to put my phone on the thing and watch a series that I don't need to concentrate on....or refer to my post in the "replacement meal shakes thread" in regards to mentality.

I hate it.

narcsarge likes this.
  6. tooksomechin_na

You're right, but I think I have tracked it and I go something like 2.3 or so, takes like 28 minutes. I'll try the treadmill again, I think I'll do 2 miles outside this fall for a couple months, perhaps. Just want to be able to do the treadmill in the 2 temperature extreme months of winter and summer, where I have heat and AC inside. I sweat like a waterfall in summer, and although I could put on more clothes to better insulate in the winter, inside is better, though I may go for a few winter walks as well, just for the scenery (and exercise, of course)

7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Reminds me of a gym i looked in that had thw news on the one TV and only somone using one of the upper body amchines would get a good view of it. It was a pool and gym. so not really a gym. At least you cna lsiten to the terrible music on a treadmill. :p

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Necessary evil. Training is both pleasant and unpleasant. Soon as you step off after a long hard trundle, it feels great.
    Martial arts and sparring are my cardio, but when I need the extra for when I need to cut weight...the treadmill is the first thing I go to.

axelb and narcsarge like this.
  9. tooksomechin_na

No, I set the speed for no faster than 2mph which is the same I do outside.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Did you try setting it lower, in regards to the mentioned difference between the average speed and the actually running speed?

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I find the same with running, its partly a mental process, you aren't going anywhere on a treadmill.

physically it is different; the treadmill propels you, you aren't in immediate control of the speed, as a result you can be braking often which causes more strain on lower legs, therefore slightly more taxing- this is why most advise to put a small incline.

you'll get a better workout off treadmill, but this isn't always an option for some.