I came here to grow as a warrior

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yo Feng Lung, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Yo Feng Lung

Yo Feng Lung Valued Member

my screen name means cultivating Phoenix Dragon, Feng Lung is the martial art I study, under my sifu Dr. Modesto Castellano.

Feng Lung as a Martial art:

the Fusion between High external energy and High Internal energy to create, an up rooting/ or caving 'point' within the opponent's given force, which helps the user end the fight without hurting them in the process.

Feng Lung as a healing art:
    uses the correct breathing poster with sinking, Rising, pushing, and pulling with the breathing of the muscular system and the bones within the body.

healing effects include but are not limited to:
    `destroyed joints
    `greatly damaged organs and muscles
    `bones

Feng Lung as life style
    I am still having trouble with that one. lol

I do have one question for anyone who would care to answer

how has your martial art helped you with everyday life
    -such as how you respond to things and events.
    -how you view yourself.
    -help with your movement.
    -how you think about concepts and ideas and apply them into action.
    -how has it shape your personality?
    -and most importantly how has your martial art helped you treat and care for others?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

-Martial arts have made me slow to respond to events because of all the konks on the noggin.

-I used to be real pretty, but not no more, my ears are starting to look like doggy treats. Every night the terrier creeps closer.

-They've made me so sore that I can only limp and curse at the terrier constantly at my ears.

-They haven't really shaped my personality or how I treat others. Except when I'm choking people. Martial arts have totally helped me choke people more better.

Could you go into more detail about your art's healing properties?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:evil::D :jester: :bow1:

4. Yo Feng Lung

Yo Feng Lung Valued Member

healing properties of Feng Lung

well from my understanding so far which is limited , Feng Lung healing properties are this.

poster:
    we sink our whole body structure, into the ground, with a natural standing. then create tension with all of our muscles and relax our bones and then breathe which helps us breathe with our whole body.

what happens inside the body:
    This cleans our blood and which in turn detoxify our body, also this helps our body be able to heal damaged organs, repair and heal broken bones much faster. also on a psych level it helps with clearing the mind and controlling the amount of watts with our brain chemistry, by this I mean feeling the pulses in your brain, its like how people with seizures can feel one coming on.

ps. I will put more on here later the more I learn about the art I am learning but for now I hope this info helps :)

5. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyz0pMrCIG0"]Introduction to Feng Lung Kung-Fu Quoon - YouTube[/ame]

You realize that ear piercings disrupt the Chi flow through your body, right?

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I want to learn how to relax my bones. My bones are stiff and rigid which I feel is a major drawback to preventing arm bars and other joint locks.

7. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Sigh. *grabs popcorn*

So it allows you to end a fight without hurting the assailant? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Also, do you really believe you can 'end a fight' using chi blasts or by blocking your opponent's force?

Does your sifu doctor demonstrate this, or is it too dangerous to be done in the dojo?

I'm intrigued. :rolleyes:

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is this typical of your style?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdoanNrMUg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdoanNrMUg[/ame]

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Out of curiosity, how old is your sifu? He looks pretty young, but the title "doctor" suggests years and years of higher ed, be it as a medical doctor or a PhD in something.

What's he a doctor of, I'm wondering?

Only fair that I try and answer your question as well. I got involved in martial arts about 26 years ago, when I was in my early teens. So, honestly, I don't think I could fully enumerate the ways in which it's affected how I view myself. Our self-concept is so malleable when we're that young. I can't really guess how I'd be different without it.

Actually, that's not true. I'd have been a lot less self-confident. Not that I was a paragon of self-possession back then. But without martial arts, I was a pretty standard nerd. D&D in the basement, etc. Which I'm not complaining about, to be clear. But martial arts helped me balance it out. Not so much because I thought I could "take" anyone in a fight. I was always pretty clear, in my heart of hearts, that I wasn't very tough. It was more to do with going through a structured set of goals and being recognized, in concrete ways, for doing so. Whether it was the belt or the respect of people from high school who wouldn't have given me the time of day otherwise. Martial arts were sort of a social equalizer. I trained with jocks, burnouts, nerds, cheerleaders, etc. The social hierarchy was different within those walls. And I was closer to the top of it. That helped a lot at that age.

My movement? I was an unathletic kid. It's not that I'm physically hopeless. It was just that competitive athletics didn't interest me. They were mostly just an avenue for humiliation, because I never cared enough about a particular sport to be any good at it. So my brief forays into any given sport generally just resulted in me looking uncoordinated and lame. Again, martial arts offered the counterbalance to that. I could do physical things that the star quarterback simply couldn't. I had good balance. I was agile. I was reasonably flexible. Etc.

How have martial arts affected how I view and react to things? That's tough. Martial arts were my gateway drug to various philosophies, which probably played a larger role in shaping how I view things. But the two were related for me. I studied Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism, etc. in college as a result. Those things have certainly shaped my view of the world, though I don't wholey subscribe to any of them and tend to reject "-isms" in general.

As for how I treat others, I think the things we experience general lend a shape to whatever innate tendencies we have. I'm a caretaker, through and through. Hell, even my name means "caretaker." (Originally, "pig farmer," but I try and skim over that bit.)

Martial arts probably provided some ideological framework, but I'd have had some sort of caretaker complex regardless. The one thing I will say is that my personality type wrought havoc on my sparring early on. I could handle the idea of getting hurt much better than the idea of hurting anyone else.

I got over it eventually.

Does that sorta answer your question?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Guys, let me be very clear about this: We are NOT going to lay into the new guy. Whatever you might think, you were ALL in the same place at some point in your lives. And you were allowed to get where you are now without the virtual peanut gallery spiking you at every opportunity.

Ask questions. But watch the attitude. Dig?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I caught myself early on and changed the post accordingly - sometimes I forgot exactly how much I have moved on from where I started all those years ago

Hell, I even owned 5 Ashida Kim books!

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

:ban:

:)

To the OP - Welcome to MAP! :)

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

Welcome to MAP.

I've been training a little over 42 years - it's not possible to say how much it's changed or influenced me simply as I have nothing to compare it to. At a guess I am fitter, stronger, more healthy, more active, more relaxed than I otherwise would be - but who knows - maybe I would have taken up painting or mountain climbing or whatever and got the same effect???

My philosophy - such as it is - is to enjoy what you are doing - if you are doing that then you are probably doing something right (and YES obviously if you enjoy biting the heads off of small children, then that's NOT what I mean...).

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Ap, you have not only corrected us miscreants for our uncouth behavior but you and Hannibal have taken this thread so far off topic it may be unsalvageable.

For that I must give you a hearty Well Done!

You have my admiration.

Edit:

Way to ruin my ironic post Simon...Thanks.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nerd thread moved to here

16. 47MartialMan

I still have one and I am still in denial

17. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

I respond the same I think, although mentally i feel a bit more "bad ass" - although this feeling has quickly diminished on the rare occasion that i've been involved in any type of altercation outside of class.

-how you view yourself.

The same.

In that through injury caused by MA/Lifting i've learned a lot about my body and how to keep it in working order (pelvic alignment etc....body mechanics) so i've improved greatly in that respect.

Don't think so

It hasn't

-and most importantly how has your martial art helped you treat and care for others?

It hasn't. I have always tried to be nice to other people. More so as I get older and wiser. Nothing to do with MA.

So really.....everything is the same. I do however feel very content at the moment with my place of training and progression which makes me happy.

Really as far as these things go Im a pretty simple case, seeing is believing for me.

I have never understood all these other benefits of MA. I learn to punch people in the chops but do it in a friendly, nurturing, no ego community and to me that's a pretty good place to be!

18. 47MartialMan

Welcome....

I came here to grow as a warrior
    But I rather see you grow as a martial artist more so than a "warrior"

It calmed my anxiety and aggression

-how you view yourself.
    Less likely to get into fights

I can say that I move well considering others my age whom have not studied nor had a good exercise routine

Concepts and ideas are foundations limited to responses per applied stimuli

Partly. My family and culture influenced me more

Well having the right instructor has set me on other paths, per; cpr-first aid, sports medicine, studying and being active with domestic violence courses, and community outreach programs

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcomesauce.

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Thanks for the reply. :]

I'm very skeptical of claims like thes. The notion that standing in a certain way will clean our blood is very easy to test, and yet I do not know of any supporting evidence. The claims that it will detoxify the body (which toxins does it remove? is their presence evident before treatment?), produce accelerated healing, and change the watts in our brain are all demonstrable - do you know if these tests have been performed in any methodical way? I would encourage you to be skeptical of claims like these, and to believe in them only so far as they have been evidence in a controlled setting with a systematic method.

Thanks, welcome to MAPadelphia.