I am interested

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Anjelica, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Im intrigued by JKD. As for my MA background, I have a black belt in tang soo do and a blue belt in BJJ. Would I have to start as a beginner in JKD or intermediate? How different is it from the arts ive studied?

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not a direct answer, I know, but something I am wondering: Would it be a problem to start as a beginner?

3. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

No not really. I was just wondering.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You'll start as a beginner, and progress as fast as your talent takes you.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Short answer yes

Slightly longer one yes but you might find progress a little quicker - then again you may find it harder to "unlearn" some of the other things you already do

6. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

If they want me to unlearn Tang soo do that could be a problem.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's not a case of forgetting TSD, more a sense of learning newer habits - some of which may be different in mechanical execution. JKD punches would be one example - TSD punches are not delivered in the same way

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’ve done JKD and my guess is that you’d start as a beginner, but progress quicker because of your experience.

Plus you’d probably want to start as a beginner, in order to find out the foundation of JKD.

Also, there’s “JKD concepts” and “Jun Fan JKD”. Concepts uses the principles of JKD, and should accommodate your TSD and BJJ quite well. Whereas Jun Fan is the style last used by Bruce Lee and relatively unchanged since then. I’ve probably got some nuances wrong, but others can correct me.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There'll be some new stuff, but the more you learn the more you'll understand the similarities, and the differences, and why they are that way. If you can find decent training nearby then go for it, but IMO don't lose your TSD. As a black belt you're just starting to learn TSD, it's nowhere near the end of your journey, so don't lose sight of your base :)

10. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I have no problem learning new technique. As for mechanical execution i have learned some painful lessons. I have pulled muscles and stretched tendons doing high front kicks and jumping side kicks. May not be serious injury but it hurt to the point i could barely walk. I have seen someone pop their knee out doing a hook kick. If you start full power that can happen. Not a pretty sight.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What draws you to JKD?

You'll certainly not find high front jumping kicks, or indeed jumping side kicks, so I'm interested in what you see in the art.

12. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Well im always interested in learning something new. Plus I like that JKD is a blend of styles.

13. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I've earned the title of Kyosu. I have a ways to go before I can test for Sa Beom. Even then does the journey ever really end?

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Never, if we're doing it right :)

David Harrison likes this.