I am 47 years old --- SHOULD I DO THIS ?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by nasd90, Jan 26, 2019.

?

Is 47 years old too old to begin BJJ training?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  1. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

The one I have was the largest I saw from Venom and it says 11-adult

It won’t even fit a woman’s mouth.

Will try to find one today at Academy Sports before I go to my first class in a few hours.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you can't find one don't worry, most gyms won't throw you in the deep end, just train with the level of contact you'd wish to receive.

axelb likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Thats a very good price then!! Many dentists charge around 100,

4. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

I did ask my dentist's people and they failed to get me the information when I was last down there. I'm going to call him today and find out but I'll make do in the interim.

I am going with Dead_pool's advice and just going to start out in the kiddie pool the first couple sessions.
    And Van_Zandt, I am in the best shape of my life, but am going to proceed with caution.... I did just watch this YouTube video with Rener Gracie, I gotta say he's got that excitement/crazy eyed passion that I tend to gravitate towards... anyway, it was entitled "Jiu Jitsu Over 40" and it talked about how every 20lbs is a belt size, and every 10 years is a belt size. I'm sure there is some truth to this in any applicable jiu jitsu practitioner. What do you guys think about this?

Here's the video...

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Yea the entire concept is reasonably true, but obviously it's not always 100% true, depending on personal fitness etc.

For instance, if you could compare me from one year ago vs me today, the me today would get smashed, caus I now train once a week, and barely get enough sleep!

Renner is great, But obviously.... His degree was in marketing.... So his wild eye shtick is just that... Marketing..... Caus he's selling something.... That something is good, but he's still selling it!

Old bloke likes this.
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

100 %, I'm 47 and doing it. You can too. Being in shape is definitely a plus, but saying that it shouldn't be an issue at a good academy / gym. Sticking to a beginners class will also help you get bedded in.

7. Dead_pool

It's wierd the amount of people who think they don't need beginners classes!

It's the same with people wanting to roll straight away and then getting upset when tiny purple belts sub them!

Mitch and cloudz like this.
  8. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Too funny about Rener... yeah, maybe he's the face of Gracie now. All good I guess, brings more people into the sport.

And you guys are right about taking the Beginner's class. The instructor and the other guys mentioned it at the beginning of the class and I didn't want to do it because it was at 5:30 pm and I was trying to get either the 5:30am or 11:30am, but in the beginning stages, I n0w understand why I need to do it.

Had a great time today in my FIRST class. Did a lot of drills... falling on my back, shrimping across the mat, doing an arm bar on a dummie, did some other move with another human where you grabbed their arm and the back of their neck on the Gi and pull them towards your armpit. Learned how to jump to a fight stance and they told me from now on this is the only way I get up off the floor. Loving that... lol. Had one on one with the owner, which the guys there after class said I was fortunate, I agreed. I am learning that learning this sport requires a great deal of discipline, humility and respect. I think if I keep an open mind and stick to those principles, I will do really well for myself, in my own mind. Now, I may not be belt grabbing, but that's ok. I'm loving the momentum I have, even though slight, to be part of something great, and something positive in my life. (Been a landlord for 10 years full time and it's not an easy job, socially it was the worst thing I ever did... from just one class today, I met a lot of nice folks. more to come.) Just brainstorming here after my first class so please keep that in mind if I'm wrong... Thank you.

So yeah, I bought the Gi (white was all they had today... black one on the next go around. They had a blue one in the cash register show case front desk (whatever you call it) not in my size, I asked him about it and he said I could get one if I wanted but nobody had blue, so I'm good for now.

Mitch, cloudz and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Sounds like you had a good first day!!

Renner runs his own thing, the gracie family is huge, so they all have their own gyns/federations etc, and theirs lots of non gracie guys who are just as good too!

10. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

HELL YES, my 47 yr old body screams after an old man nap just now. My body feels good except my butt & upper hamstrings are sore from the falling back. BUT NO BACK PAIN SO WHO CARES. I've realized I can deal with all pain besides the back pain I was plagued with for a dozen years until I switched from a TempurPedic mattress that was killing me to a Bear Hybrid... was like night & day.

Anyway, yeah... I'm all in. I'm even having the talk with my wife tonight about how she is just going to have to deal with me taking the 5:30pm - 6:30pm beginners classes M-Th... It's now or never!

11. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Keep this in mind, and you will succeed, and just a quick word of warning, sores and strains can creep up on people of our age over a couple of days.

12. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Well, I'm on my 4th class tonight. I honestly want to learn enough to get out of the very large beginner class. I learned a bit but then they just threw us into sparring and it was difficult to keep up. I'm going to see if I can hire one of the black belts for some private lessons. I just want to learn enough to get out of the beginner class... they paired me up with a kid on one session, and I had a hard time hurting him, so I just let him win. The master instructor is great, but there is nobody there to teach me the basics. I mean, I don't know all the closed / half / guard / etc... this part of it is frustrating. The physical aspect of it isn't that hard so far... I lift everyday, squats, deadlifts, you name it. Everything but my bench is strong because of this shoulder pain I can't seem to shake. I'm vegan too so that helps.

There are videos out there but I think I need one on one... any input appreciated here. Thanks fella's.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

Why would you want to not learn, The basics in the basics class?

Also rolling isn't for hurting people, it's for practising the basics you've just learnt.

If you don't know what something means, either ask at the time, or Google it later.

Beginner's classes are for beginners which is what you are, if you go to a regular class without learning how to roll safe, the sharks will eat you alive.

Frodocious likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

This is definitely your ego talking.

If it was easy everyone would be good at it, it's not easy, so just suck it up and keep going.

Mitch and Old bloke like this.
  15. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Ok, first... They paired me up with a child. I know nothing. I had a hard time NOT hurting him. What I'm saying is that I didn't know what to do or how to win.

There is no structure to the class. They assume you know the basics. The class is too large for a single instructor.

The beginner class and the other class I took, was mostly white belts. I just wish I had someone to just teach me the basics, that isn't happening. Learning some moves, but I don't know a lot.

Yes, I have an ego, but I think you misunderstood. All good.

16. Dead_pool

There's a lot to learn in bjj. The basics class is the right place for you, but it'll take six months to Learn The Fundamentals not six classes.

I found this really helpful when I started, and it's free!

BJJ Roadmap Book - Grapplearts

17. Dead_pool

Winning in rolling is just practicing your techniques safely.

A Super basic SOP for BJJ:

If your on top get past (under, around or through) the legs to their side, then get mount, then back mount, then try for a submission.

If your on bottom, keep your legs in the way, try to sweep them, get to the side, get mount, back mount then try for a submission.

If they get past your legs try to put them back in the way,

For anything else, tap early, tap often, and treat people how you would like to be treated.

18. Dead_pool

Passed their legs, not past... Sorry!

19. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Stephan Kesting provides great material to help beginners make sense of the info overload that is JJ

20. shotokanAikiJujistu

shotokanAikiJujistu New Member

Id say its never too late look at the old men of the gracie family
    dont let anything hold you back just tell yourself just gotta make it threw the door i started back up at 39 and was a kickboxer and judo/wrestler as a kid and it was kinda mentally tough to get back in a school but thank god i did diabetes was killing me so was driniking and many other terrieble habbits first few classes was a bit of a challenge puked the first day lol but that was a warrior spu just toughed it out and i really love it i also joined aikido and now shotokan karate

Mitch likes this.