Hurts the face when doing pushups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by United We Fall, Jun 8, 2007.

1. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I can't help but think of the old joke:

You: Hey, does your face hurt?
    Them: No, why?
    You: Because it's killing us. :D

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm thinking the sinusitis/rhinitis, poor breathig technique and lack of upper body strength are caudsing your problems.

3. United We Fall

United We Fall New Member

Best answer yet. But could you go into detail why sinusitis/rhinitis, poor breathing technique and lack of upper body strength are causing causing this?

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

sinusitis/rhinitis can cause your whole face to ache,I get it and believe me,it does. When you tilt your head or put your face down it can hurt even more. Coupled with poor upper body strength you could be in for a very uncomfortable time when doing press ups.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

*sigh*... you are so lucky I have allergies and a personal trainer.

Poor breathing: Holding your breath (which I bet you're not even aware of) is bad. Let me repeat, BAD. You need to breathe out as you push up, take a breath as you go down. Move slowly and with your breath. Poor breathing, as noted by other posters, can cause nose bleeds, lightheadedness, and other not-so-fun feelings while exercising.

Lack of upper body strength: this ought to be obvious. If you have to, do push-ups from the kneeling position until you gain some strength. You need to develop strength in your upper body and your core to do push ups properly, so if you have to modify them, so be it. Your instructor should be able to show you how. You're working extra hard, and when combined with poor breathing techniques... you get the picture.

Sinusitis/rhinitis: do you have allergies or get a lot of sinus infections? "Sinus cavities" usually refers to the paranasal sinuses, which are air cavities in the cranial bones, especially those near the nose and connecting to it... People with allergies or chronic sinus inflamation will get nasty headaches, facial pain, and other odd sensations, especially when exercising. Trust me, I know, I have wicked allergies. Coimbine that with the above two issues, and you have lots of pain and not-so-good feelings.

I'd go see a doctor to get a better handle on this. I can tell you how to breathe and what you can do to build stronger muscles, but I can't really diagnos you with a medical problem.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Not sure if this is mentioned before, but have you checked your breathing when doing the push up?

Holding it in will be detrimental.... breathe in on the way up, and out on the way down.... EVERY time!

Edit: I see GC and I breathe differently when doing push ups... interesting!

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I breathe out on the way up, I try to breathe out with the concentric portion of most exercises anyway.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

You breathe in on the muscle contraction? Hmmm... interesting.

9. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Are you doing standard push-ups or dands (Hindu PUs). Maybe Divebombers?

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

yeah, its weird, I just tried the other way, and it near killed me! I tired a LOT faster than normal, I find it best with push ups if I breathe in on the way up, and out on the way down.

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

That's pretty odd, most people do it the other way round. It's also physiologically a little easier, so I can't understand why you couldn't last as long :confused:

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I do it the same way as Sarge. Find it much easier. I get out of breath if I do it the other way.

13. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

You could try doing push-ups while standing, having your body leaning towards a wall. (If you want to get your pecs in shape, do this facing a corner, to get more range of motion.)

This takes off a lot of weight, and you can stand farther back to increase it. I would mix this idea with knee (modified) push-ups to build strength and endurance.

Your face hurts? Hmmm...I know my head used to hurt a bout a year ago when I did them and I did not know why...if this is just recently it might go away..but don't take chances. I agree with a few others here, you might not be breathing correctly, or holding your breath.

Good luck, I hope your problem is resolved soon.

14. United We Fall

United We Fall New Member

I think Hindu Pushups are a bit easier to do then most pushups I have done? Why so?

15. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

I believe that it has to do with the ROM that you move through when doing dands. Most if not all of the pectoral is being adressed, the deltoid, the trapezius, lats are being addressed moreso than a standard pushup.
    The stress is spread-loaded abit more.

I could be wrong, of course...

I think that this may be why they are such a great overall exercise, given the fact that they involve so much of the upper body's musculature.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  16. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

do you hold your breath when you do them? That "hurting like fish crap," feeling is probably your blood vessels about to burst in your face. Breathe, relax, and crank em out in a fluid motion. How many are you able to get in pushups? "You succeed by failing." Push yourself man. You'll get there.

17. RD-KSW

RD-KSW Valued Member

How to you do Hindu Pushups??? :confused:
    I am intrigued...=D