hunting tools as fitness training

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KaliKuntaw, Jul 29, 2013.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I don't need to. I learned what I know from qualified instructors. Did you learn to drive by playing video games too?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

That looks like it could take someone's eye out. I'd like to think the LARPing done in the UK is a bit more H&S conscious:ninja2:

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

This isnt for LARPing. This is to train for the next Spartan Race.
    There is a part in the run when you must hit a scare crow with a spear and it must stick in the target.

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am not going to lie....I want one

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

It has some good weight to it.
    It also has a heavy blade so it flies relatively straight blade first.
    I like it
    so much i may take it the next time i go boar hunting.

8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Initially i was looking to buy a cheap javelin.
    Apparently no such thing exists...lol

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not that I know anything real about this product, but I do feel like there's also a philosophical difference at play here. In some martial arts, particularly Japanese, there's a deep reverence for weaponry. I'm not talking about respect for the damage they cause. That ought to be universal in weapons training. But reverence for the actual weapon.

Filipino martial arts and others differ, in my view. There's more of a sense that they're tools. In fact, weapons often pull double duty as literal tools. The machete you learn to fight with is the same one you'd traditionally have farmed with, etc. Not that there aren't items that are purely weaponry. I doubt that anyone would cultivate crops with a kris, for instance. But there's more of a utilitarian relationship with the weapon. So I can see the appeal of this spear. It's a tool. You toss it around for a while. It breaks. It doesn't. You learn your lesson. And you move on. There's not this deep sense of attachment to the item.

Also, I've watched KaliKuntaw on video enough, and have enough of a background in FMA (20+ years) to say that, however he's learning it, he's doing a lot of things correctly.

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I suppose my argument is if you are trying to persuade me or anyone else that throwing spears etc is more valid or effective functional training than say a med ball or shot put or javelin then I'm not buying it. Surely field athletes get fitter and stronger by doing general strength and conditioning, sprints, track runs, weights, etc? The zombie apocalypse is not going to happen:evil:

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Im just a student that loves training.
    I was an Artillery soldier for 11 years so maybe that is why i like the death from above weapons so much! :)

12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

No my thing is not to persuade anyone to do anything.
    Im just showing how i do things in my way of fitness and martial way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. Hannibal

*shakes head* when will people wake up?

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The Zombie Apocalypse is already begun!
    Muahahaha

The zombie craze has certainly made some fun looking machetes and other tools. Weve picked up some very good tools and weapons over the last couple of years.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hannibal and Princess Haru as characters at the beginning of essentially any zombie movie:

Princess Haru: Gormless neighbor standing dumbfounded in the front garden before promptly being brought down

Hannibal: Impatient survivalist wondering what took so long

Mind you, I'm the guy who knows all the tropes, but still turns my back on the freshly "killed" comrade, only realizing my mistake as he's rising up behind me.

16. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I dont worry about people that bust my chops anymore.
    I do what i want to do.
    If that means next week im chopping down brush in my yard with angles 1-4 or shooting, or simulated knife sparring, mook jong play...i do it.
    Sometimes that means i have to research things.
    I have some great MA friends and i also have a good library of study material.
    It doesn't make me a master of anything, but i enjoy what i do and ignore those who like to poke insults at me. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    Haters...not so much.
    They go on my ignore list and i dont worry about them.

JKD, FMA, pugilism, hunting, whatever...they all go together and enhance each other.
    At least that is how i see it.

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

:) Good stuff right there!...lol

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's indestructible, it's got a sharp pointy bit at the end, it's strong enough to pry with.

Presuming the weight and balance are ok, what more do you want from a spear?

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

20. Hannibal

Seriously? Have you been reading my notebooks becasue i am drafting this as I type!!!!!

Calgary will be the best prepared city in the world!!!!!