Hung Gar.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Disciple, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Is there anyone here that is a practioner of Hung Gar. I am greatly interested in this style of gung fu. If Anyone here can offer their insight into this art as a practioner, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to learn as much as you have to offer about it.

Also, the views of any Tiger, Crane, or Shaolin Long Fist practioners are welcome. (I do not mean to exlcude Wing Chun out of lack of respect, or in dislike of it, it is just there are so many threads about it, I didn't want this to turn into another. I have much respect for the art and its practioners.)

2. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Sorry but I don't know much about Hung Gar. Try google. For White Crane ask Imperial_guardz. Tiger Kung Fu is an aggressive style. The Tiger Kung Fu uses your hand in the shape of a claw. Unlike the Dragon Claw it's meant to tear and rip instead of Crush.

3. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Hung Gar's easily recognizable as an art from a Shaolin temple with the animal componenets. Low stances, and brutal blocking techniques are it's trademarks.
    Hung Gar is practiced with large iron rings worn on the arms to add weight and condition (they bang against your hands and arms as you practice, sometimes leaving serious bruises, Dit Da Jow anyone?) Hung Gar boxers were known to render an opponent unable to use an arm or leg after a single block; they don't block as such, more like they attack the limb.

Our school starts with Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (the signature set of the four pillars). We use this as a foundation to build strength in the students. Before moving into other arts or other sets. It's easier to teach to new students then the Longfist sets which require some athletic ability, set 6 (Di Tang) and 10 (flying kicks) are particularly demanding. Not to say that Hung Gar isn't demanding.

Try this, the southern horse stance that the forms work around is achieved like this: Stand with feet together, rotate on the heels and turn your toes out to form a "V", rotate on the balls of the feet and turn your heels out, now straighten your feet (toes straight ahead) your feet should be a little wider then shoulder width apart, roll your tail bone under (this will flaten out your lower back, no arch) slowly sink down as if sitting in a chair, don't let your knees go beyond your toes (i.e. if you look down you should be able to see your toes). Proper position is 90 degree angle at the thigh, some one should be able to set a staff across your legs and have it stay in place as if it was sitting on a table. Hold that for a minute, thats lesson one. When we get to ten you'll have a good start. ;) If your looking to build serious strength and endurance try Hung Gar.

5. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

In mok gar, another southern shaolin relative of hung gar, we use horse stance, but not as low as 90 degree. ive heard that doing horse stance that low can be bad for the knees, anyone know anything bout that?

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

I do Hung Gar - what do you want to know? I'm not that advanced but will try to help if i can.

Paul

7. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Hello Disciple,

I study Teoul Moon Kung Fu. It's a composite system formed by Grandmaster Chon, Song Shin. The current Grandmaster is Yim, Hon Suk of Songtan. The system has many parts and takes from many of the traditional systems of Chinese kung fu. The Hung Gar portion descends from Grandmaster Chung Guk Chi of Tiawan. Our system also has a heavy influence of Mantis and 5 Animal Shaolin (sorry for the long intro, wanted you to have an understanding of where I was coming from).

What are your questions on Hung Gar? Is there a school near you that you’re looking at attending? I note you study Tang Soo Do, are you looking to expand your knowledge or just curious about another style? Although the system of Hung Gar is a very solid traditional style with much lineage, I imagine like any other system, it depends on the school you go to. Most traditional Hung Gar forms are based on the Tiger and Crane. The tiger provides power while the crane makes up agility, following the classic yin-yang formula most kung fu systems strive for. Too hard and you’ll break, too weak and you’ll fall. I’ll attempt to answer any questions you might have.

Incidentally, where do you live in PA? I'm from Tioga (North of Williamsport, near Wellsboro) but I've not been home in a long time.

-Sting

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It's actually o.k. with a few caveats; in any stance having your knee beyond your toes puts undue stress on the joint, so if you look down and can't see your toes it's time to bring the knee back. Your toes and your knee need to point in the same direction (no odd twisting). Take it slow at first and if you can't get all the way down while holding proper alignment then go only as far as you can while maintaining your alignment.

Attached Files:

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, in Choy Li Fut the horse stance is 90 degrees as well. Scarlet Mist had a very close friend who studied Hung Gar Kung Fu under Master Tak Wah Eng. Scarlet learned a beginning form from him, but forgot the moves. This friend told Scarlet much, but you should check out www.takwah.com

10. Disciple

Disciple New Member

af sting. Yes I do practice Tang Soo Do, and I am actually interested in learning about Hung Gar as far as its forms, and what region it is most predominant in. I am not interested in leaving Tang Soo Do, I am just wishing to expand my martial knowlege.

What types of techniques are in Hung Gar? Do you think it possibly to break them into percentages, or just numbers and names?

11. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hung Gar contains techniques from the 5 animals (dragon, tiger, crane, panther, snake) - although predominantly tiger and crane (there is a whole form called Tiger and Crane).

Tiger moves typically involve forming a tiger claw shape with the hand and can be used either as a strike or grab or combination of both. Crane moves typically involve the grouped fingers of the hand into a "beak" shape where the tips are used to strike a sensitive area (eyes, temple etc). The tiger emphasises solid stances and forceful power whereas the crane uses higher stances and yielding,redirecting movements and whipping power.

Hung Gar is built around the 5 animals, 5 elements and 12 bridges concepts and is taught through 4 pillar forms:-

Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen - Taming the Tiger in an I shaped pattern
    Fu Hok Serng Ying Kuen - Tiger and Crane Combination
    Sup Ying Kuen - 5 animals, 5 elements form
    Tid Sin Kuen - Iron Thread Form

5 elements basically is a theory of how movements can generate or destroy other movements based on the natural properties of metal, wood, fire, earth and water.

12 bridges is a more difficult concept to grasp but is based upon the expression of energy through your attitude, stance and limbs.

Apologies for the very simple replies, there is so much to say on this style that would take ages is difficult to explain (particularly by me!).

However, if there is anything specific that you want to ask I will do my best to answer although I am very much a beginner.

Paul

12. xuande

xuande New Member

I'm also a practicioner of Hung Gar so if you have questions please ask away. For a quick comment, outside of what has already being mentioned know that Hung Gar does not have the extensive weapons list that the Northern styles have.

13. lo fat

lo fat Banned Banned

hung up on fu!

im new.
    i love hung ga.lovely site this is.horse stance makes me wanna die sometimes.get my drift?
    why do we do it?lemme know if ya find out!

al bundy knows kung fu!!!

14. lo fat

lo fat Banned Banned

ahem cough

p.s. i mean why do we train hard.not why do we do horse stance.just incase....ahooohoo

15. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

Really??

At my kwoon we have A LOT of weapons.....
    Like around 30...
    So if you say true, northern must have hell of a bunch of weapons....

I'd say hung gar really is a bit of everything,
    with no real emphasis.... except for the stances that is :D
    It gets really hard on the basic if you choose Ha Sai Fu lineage.
    And many kwoons now added eagle claw, drunken boxing, monkey
    and pheonix to the many forms.

For the techniques as I said, you'll see everything in most schools

striking like 75% I'd say
    Throws +/- 10%
    Chin na +/- 10%
    Ground Fight 5%-

And with Wong Fei Hung in the lineage, you cant go wrong :D

...still here?
    Quit reading, pratice now! ;)

16. Cranesbeak

Cranesbeak Banned Banned

Maubo in Tiger style

I have still yet to take the Hun Gar tiger style specifically. I know the first form of "lin bu tran" and like 4-5 different drills that incorporate into the first form of like 53 multiple movements that can be broken down even further than that!

For me the Maubo was starting at 1 minute and then going 3 and then going 5 and then going 6 and then going 7 up until 10 minutes. Personally, in my opinion, training the maubo is harder than fighting with it. Thats because I use the stance during training the way the instructor says to (with more space in between feet) which is harder than the way I apply it at shoulder width.

The angle of the feet and knees during training must be a correct 90º... though the angle of the knee during fighting application is supposed to be comfortable. I have heard, a friend of mine told me, he had to do it on a chair physically first,.. and then he had to do it on the ground simulating he was sitting in the chair.

Lao mau in prey mantis style is harder in my opinion :)

17. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

http://hungkuen.net

Look at Training and Form a top of page.

And horse stance should "not be at 90º"
    because its easy to go lower whitout noticing
    and going lower than that damages the knee.

So Its safer to go just a little higher
    just in case ;)

18. Cranesbeak

Cranesbeak Banned Banned

Right, I realize that, if you notice the monks in the photo... they do maubo on plum flower posts with a wooden spike of insence underneath their stance to keep them from sinking too far downward. It is not bad for the knees unless you do not focus the chi correctly with your breathing.

You cant just go in a stance and hold it. There is alot more involved in it than just performing the bodie's motor functions necessary. The form of a stance or as some would say the "structure" of it... is maintained through a series of different aspects.

Thus the difference between training, developing applicable skill, and then fighting in real combat. There are even more levels than that (i believe:)

19. Tank Gurl

Tank Gurl A Thorny Rose

Hung Stylists Rule!

20. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I have heard Hung Kuen conditions the body like hell. From my knowledge, you Hung fighters do horse longer than us CLF guys, but you but more emphasize on the forms early on?

We start right off learning combinations and how to fight people, but I have heard that Hung Kuen focuses more on the conditioning aspect more at first, then once the body can withstand the rigor Hung Kuen requires only then are the more combat-oriented aspects taught.

Any help on this?

Thanks.