Hung Gar Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Dave1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Notice the level of intensity matches the contact. Ie both low. You want that to be the same so if it was higher intensity then the contact would be too.

Clashing shins even in a flow spar or drill can be really unpleasant so can be worthwhile wearing shins. Gloves mean you can actually hit each other even at low levels of contact giving a greater 'truth' to the trajectory of the strike.

The video is showing a live drilling and flow sparring rather than an actual hard spar.

San shou/sand da is awesome. It's essentially good for the same reasons all kickboxing styles are that compete full contact.

Enjoy your training.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. Dave1

Dave1 Valued Member

Iron Fist, just before I go and out of interest - who are you talking about?

3. Knee Rider

Fair point about experience levels and expectations etc. My post was more to ellicit a rational for the unarmed Hung Gar footwork and tactics being supposedly suited to knife defence while demonstrating none of that apparant applicability in live sparring. I'm aware that that was a claim you never made but it has featured heavily in the thread.

4. Knee Rider

It's the guy a few pages back who was an alternate in ufc 3 and fought twice in a Russian MMA show in the 90s.

5. Knee Rider

Here you go.

6. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Is that true about UFC3? I do know he was in UFC 7 and the Russian MMA and was about to join the Pancrase circuit, but chose to get married and open a school in Connecticut. I had missed Tom's comment about horse and 'bow and arrow' stance (gi ng ma), but that's accurate. Fancy names aside, it is basic kickboxing footwork, which is why it looks like that in competition. Nobody in a full contact tournament involving Hung gar is sitting in ultra low stances, the kinds of things you see in the movies, but you will see that in the earliest training (because the earliest training is meant to first eliminate the weaknesses/discomfort of low stances, and then once those pillars are set, teaching the mobility of the footwork, most of which is done at a normal height or level). A lot of this is tied to Hung gar's definition of "ging", the explosive waist and body power fundamental to boxing of all kinds.

To compare to something others might be familiar with (let's use boxing again since it's so similar and but which I will admit I have only a few months lessons in), the only real difference I've noticed between the footwork of a Hung gar right cross and a boxing right cross is the rear heel is kept planted in Hung gar as opposed to boxing, but that is so that is because in Hung gar strikes are followed by bridging, clinching, throwing, kicks and so forth. Some power is kept in reserve for the follow up, as opposed to just throwing punches (i.e. the "Southern Fist"). But if you watch enough Hung gar San Shou, you'll see fighters doing both. If they want to just knock someone's lights out, they'll punch more like a boxer, lifting the heel. If they want to punch and throw, it'll be a bit more traditional Hung gar. It is a clinch fighting art as well as a "long fist" art, as far as I was taught.

Please, bear in mind, these are my opinions with only a couple years training, but I think I'm being accurate.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_b5lP6Blo"]Filipino Arts & Hung Gar Kung Fu in MMA - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  7. Knee Rider

Nah I just got the number wrong like a moron ;)

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know, it's a stellar example of good sparring at low intensity ;)

9. Knee Rider

I was also taught to plant the rear foot in Hung.

10. Pretty In Pink

Also, I'd still like to come along to a class if you'll have me ^^

11. Dave1

Dave1 Valued Member

You should definitely come mate! You're obviously respected on these forums so perhaps you could come on a Wednesday class and do some sparring and see what you think and give an honest opinion? You have to bear in mind that there is a range of talent and abilities there so do advise them of your prior experience and they'll match you up with someone with as many years experience as you (typically, it takes 6-8 yrs to reach black belt level at this school).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  12. Pretty In Pink

Sounds like an excellent idea :D

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Dave 1, Chadderz is NOT a Nutter, neither does he have anything to prove.

I am sure that if he contacted the sifu/instructor and had a chat about his background, he would be welcome to join in with sparring at any club.

But as a rule I would recommend against inviting people from the internet to come and join in sparring. They may appear normal but people can get weird once the gloves are on. This can cause big problems for the sifu and the club.

Once again I stress - no worries about Chadderz in this regard.

But as a rule always talk to your sifu before inviting anyone to the club and it would be normal for the sifu to have a chat to them before they were allowed to attend.

14. Pretty In Pink

That's true. I'll come along to the Monday class first, then the Wednesday class :)

EDIT: And of course I will contact the Sifu in my own time beforehand ^^

15. Lumiv

Lumiv New Member

Since this is about hung gar kung fu, i will ask my question here. I'm currently looking for a hung gar kung fu school in Melbourne Australia. I live on the North side of Melbourne, any recommendation would be much appreciated :D thank you!

16. Pretty In Pink

You could have made a new thread and introduced yourself! :) welcome to MAP.

This thread reminds me that I need to go along to this club now that I've fought.

17. Lumiv

Lumiv New Member

Haha, Sorry I'm not so familiar with the rules.. just a little frustrated not being able to find a hung gar school near where I live. :D

Just checked, i did make a thread at introduction saying hi to everyone :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  18. Pretty In Pink

Nothing to apologise for, it takes some getting use to. There's a tab st the top named "forums". Scroll down that page and head to introductions. Ctrl+F if you're struggling.

19. Lumiv

Lumiv New Member

Seems like i did say hi a while back at the introduction section hehehe.

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I am on the wrong side of the planet from a small lineage that has not got to your neck of the woods yet.

A quick look on the internet turned up this class.

http://www.hunggarschool.com/index.html

It sort of says the right things (ish),(I personally don't go for the "Master" thing ), nothing jumps out as bad from any of the pictures, the lineage appears plausible. Looks like this one is worth visiting and checking out.

Note: lineage should not be thought of as sign of quality but rather an indicator that you are going to be taught the art in question rather than a made up counterfeit.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015