Hung gar kuen, videos, forms, technique,documentry

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Tom bayley, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Tomorrow then

Not sure. That subforum hasn't been used in a while. But the argument can be made that it's at least as strong a resource with commentary. Probably more so. So we'll move forward on that basis.

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

No worries - rules are rules, comments added. :)

The opposite augment can also be made. That a resource with commentary forces the dialogue along narrow didactic lines placing artificial constraints on thinking, limiting discussion and limiting sharing understanding where an un-commentated resource removes constraints on thinking and encourages discussion and the sharing of understanding by promoting Socratic thought.

Sometimes opinion and commentary get in the way. Sometimes it is better to simply see something and think about it for oneself.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Do you have any clips of useful applications you can share?

4. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

I am VERY VERY rusty but I will see what I can maybe sort out at some point.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not this again Tom. That isn't done in a Tai chi style. :rolleyes:It isn't following the principles of Tai Chi, it is following the principles of it's own style.

It isn't "flowing" like Tai Chi at all. Not even remotely. The stances aren't Tai Chi like, the way the arms move in correlation to the body are not following Tai Chi principles. That is just in watching a few seconds before the coffee has kicked in. Given more time, I could point out more reasons it isn't what you claim.

You really need to stop saying what a Tai Chi style is until you understand Tai Chi better.

Lau Gar isn't Tai Chi and that isn't being done in a Tai Chi style at all.

6. aaradia

There is a place to deposit tons of video's without commentary. It is called youtube. This is a discussion forum.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Also why use a romanisation that no one recognises? Doesn't exactly make for smooth communication.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Please indicate where I have done this.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Aaradia - again you insist on misinterpreting what I am saying. But thank you for giving an excellent example of how a didactic style can result in miscommunication. My point is simply that playing forms different ways highlights different aspects of the form.

Playing lau gar in a tie chie style is not doing tie chi but i never said that it was. You said that i said that it was. :)

In you opinion How much of Tai chi is holy and exclusive to tie chi and does not appear in any other art? 100% ? 40% ? how much ?

10. aaradia

You said it flowed like Tai Chi - it doesn't. You couldn't point out any other reasons it was like Tai Chi specifically. I pointed out several ways it differed.

If you are going to claim something is being done Tai Chi like, you need to do a better job explaining how it is so.

No one claimed Tai Chi is holy- straw man. Styles have things in common. But they also have their own principles, or we wouldn't have different styles.

It is up to you to point out the principles that are the same.

The one you did - the flow - is incorrect. One only needs to look at any decent Tai Chi video to see this is true.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Apparently that is not sufficient on this forum - all videos must be posted with a comment :)

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

on a less flippant note. Some people may see a glass half empty some may see it half full. If you cannot see the similarities, that's ok. Others might. All I did was suggest that people give it a go and see what they discover for themselves.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Tie chie

14. aaradia

Commentary would be provided. It would say something like "compare this video to the Lau Gar one to see how the flow is not similar. Notice how the arms moving with the body are not similar. Notice how the stances are not similar, Notice how.............."

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

MAP is a discussion forum, things are to be discussed. It was explained to your a few times on this thread alone.
    If you have the time to post videos, then you have time to type about your views and experiences. Otherwise its nothing but a wall of random videos, many who would not know exactly where you would want to go with this thread.

I was supportive of giving you time to add comments to your videos, as I think it can be beneficial to those who are not in the know of Hung Gar and can make for good comparisons.

Opinions make for good discussions, which makes for a good thread, which then benefits the community through education.

Please do not make me regret my decision.

Now let's carry on about the rich history that Hung Gar has.

16. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

The Lau Gar set (which AFAIK is actually based on the Mok Gar style, but named after a chap called Lau) has about as much in common with Tai Chi as any other Hung Gar.

If you want to see some Hung Gar Tai Chi fusion, look no further than one of the top masters of Hung Gar today, Chiu Wai:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkrJOrJD-0"]Grandmaster Chiu Wai - Yik Sau Kuen - YouTube[/ame]

17. Ben Gash CLF

Here's a more obscure Hung Gar form I learned a long time ago. Not a big fan of the performance but the techniques are fairly clear.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppLBj_xA1q0"]蛇猫鹤混形拳 - 完整版 Snake/Cat/Crane Mixed-Style Fist (Full Version) - YouTube[/ame]

18. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Here is the same set as performed by Frank Bolte sifu in Hannover. He admits he didn't so much learn this set from anyone but rather reconstructed it from the book by its choreographer, Leung Wing Hang (classmate and student of Lam Jo, whose lineage Frank sifu is from):
    http://youtu.be/HXHPmJNuTD0

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks

I don't see how hearing one person's perspective prevents others from forming their own. Seems to me that line of reasoning is predicated on a lack of faith in everyone else. We're all capable of evaluating a video and evaluating a commentary on their own merits. And of either furthering that line of reasoning or diverting from it based on our own ideas.

Which anyone is free to do by going to YouTube and typing "hung gar forms." But this is a discussion forum. And it's been established that, for this community, that discussion begins with the original poster.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Good ging, but not a great flow on some of the cat moves.