how 'traditional' are muay thai matches in ny?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by BlackFlag, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I am not assuming you are leading with the RH cross at all, the counter works for both jab and cross, and does not need your opponent to be a 'noob or suck at punching'. I know this because I have used it in the ring personally, as have many of our other fighters, its a very common and basic counter at our gym. Like I said in the post, move your head when you throw the kick, again this is a basic teaching in MT. Anyway, do you honestly believe extending your arm is ALWAYS faster than extending your leg the same distance? Im far from a quick kicker, yet manage to land this counter more often than not, regardless of whether its a jab or cross. This is where your timing and anticipation comes in.

Whats the difference between defense, and points of defense in this situation anyway? There's a reason most schools do "Blocking & Countering" and not seperate work on both. Its all related, executing a block then countering is still a counter, and I would say a hugely better counter option than taking a shot and countering.

You say I'm talking about defense in terms of shielding. I'm only responding to your statement that you prefer taking kicks on the arm when its tight against your body, rather than trying to block it properly by locking the arm out. You claim that keeping the arm tight to the body prevents damage to the arm, when the opposite is true. You are not only giving away points when doing this, but also taking extra damage. In addition, landing a punch whilst being roundhouse kicked is also giving away points.

Final point - I know the post wasnt directed at me, but what do you mean by:

"Good thing MMA went the MT route rather than the KB/Karate one."

MMA didn't go either route, did it? That's the whole beauty of the sport. At no point has MMA (or NHB back in the day) encouraged MT over KB/Karate, nor has it ever chosen any particular art. To my knowledge, the only thing MMA organisations have ever encouraged is either striking, or grappling, in general, which is done by rulesets. The current abundance of certain arts in MMA is the result of their proven and continued success, nothing to do with the people behind MMA themselves

2. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

Well I tear up almost all of the pure MT guys my level (and some pros) at this range (from my gym) with my boxing. They always try to get out of my punching range or close in to clinch. I do get kicked sometimes in exchanges at this range, but that's after I'm lighting up their face...but it's an exchange and not a counter.

And why are you asking me an all or nothing question? Of course it's not ALWAYS going to be the punch getting there faster.

Defense is you defending strike(s) only. Points of defense is when you're attacking with your points of defenses up, ie. chin down, shoulders up, etc.

This is called a RETURN, not blocking & countering. You don't seem to know what countering is. Although you may already do it if you say that you've fought competitively.

This is not a counter. This is once again, a RETURN.

Says you. I say it lessens the chances of my arm getting broken.

Then why do almost all of the MMA schools that produces MMA fighters trains MT rather than Karate? You're delusional if you think that the current MMA world doesn't gravitate towards BJJ/MT primarily and Wrestling/Boxing secondarily.

3. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Well I tear up almost all of the pure MT guys my level (and some pros) at this range (from my gym) with my boxing. They always try to get out of my punching range or close in to clinch. I do get kicked sometimes in exchanges at this range, but that's after I'm lighting up their face...but it's an exchange and not a counter.

what gym are you training out of? and what are their credentials?

4. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

fighters my level means just that. no need to get all internet Sherlocky Homey on me.

5. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Ok well I'm glad your tearing up guys at your gym. I'm sure we will be seeing lots of you on big shows in the future , you sound like one to watch!
    All the best
    Daggers

6. SBK

SBK Banned Banned

glad i answered your question.