How to train yourself to do high kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by DogMonkey, Feb 1, 2013.

1. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

I don't have access to a club right now so I'm training in my yard with a free standing heavy bag. Right now I can only kick as high as my upper ribs. I want to learn how to do head level kicks. Is it just a matter of practicing kicking until I can eventually do it, or should I be doing leg exercises to loosen up my leg joints?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

3. Stibbins

Stibbins New Member

Get a mate to hold out their hand around head height and try to kick it.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not really going to work if you can't kick head height in the first place is it?

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Depends how tall the mate is.
    He might know Frodo. :evil::evil::evil:

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

:eek: :wow: :yeleyes: :mad:

I resemble that remark...

*Climbs on chair and stands on tippy toes*

I'm tall, I tell you! :hat:

7. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Keep practicing, and do flexibility exercises.
    However, not everyone is built the same, and should you get to the point where high kicking makes you put ice on your knees after class, then you gotta choose between doing high kicks and healthy knees.

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

What kicking technique are you using that this is a major concern? I've never heard of this being a problem with MT-style round-kicks, possible if you're doing a lot of snap-kick type stuff?

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'd have thought it was more to do with the hips and hams meself?

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you get older, high kick will be the 1st thing to go. It's better to spend your training time in punches, locks, throws, and ground skill that you will still be able to use it when you are 80 years old.

11. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

I'm glad I got this bag, I can practice at any time. I'm a nocturnal so my neighbours are probably getting ****ed off hearing someone practicing on a heavy bag at 3 in the morning. I think I can kick about as high as my armpits (I'm 5"9) so I still have a long way to go. And thats only with my left leg, I can barely kick waist height with my right leg.

What martial art would you say I should do to learn throws? My step dad keeps telling me I should do judo for some reason. Don't know anything about it. For learning locks, I'm guessing a jiu jitsu club would be the place to go.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you want to learn throws, Judo is a dang good place to start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-BoM-WokY"]best of judo - YouTube[/ame]

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would work on flexability and strength exercises till you can find a place to train, getting tips from the internet without a base to use as a guide more often does more harm than good.

I would pick an art and roll with it for a few years get a base than look cross train.

In regards to the throws/grappling, I would say Judo. Good alive training and widely available and generally cheap!

Osu!

Dan93

14. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Google "how to do splits"

and practice DAILY leg flexibility exercises . Its all about stretching your groin muscle, hamstrings and whatever the front/back split uses

All you need is flexibility will be fine just keep working at it!

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Genius. :confused:

Who votes for this as a sticky. :dunno:

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

One stretching method works for me very well.

- Stand next to a door frame.
    - Lean you back against one side of the door frame.
    - Put one of your legs on the other side of the door frame.
    - Use both hands to pull the door frame on your stretching leg side until your groin can also touch the door frame.
    - When your standing leg, groin area, and stretching leg can all touch one side of your door frame, and your back no longer need to lean against the other side of the door frame, you have good flexibility.

Also stretching in hot bath tube is good too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

nice misquote bobcat

i dont know the name of that muscle

I need a picture to see what u mean