How to tell if a gym is good?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kframe, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the area, full time gyms arnt cheap to run.

125 dollars a month is pretty good (80ish pound?) if it covers crossfit weights, cardio membership and the Martial arts Classes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, but that's a contract unfortunately.

3. Dead_pool

It depends on what the contract is, my gym uses them, anyone who loses their job or moves away gets an immediate cancellation, injury gets it suspended too, thats a fair deal.

4. Dead_pool

Regular income means the gym can afford discounts, irregular income means prices go up, if their too high the place goes out of business. If their too low the place goes out of business.

Thats the reality of the situation.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, the problem to me is it sounds like Kframe did not read the terms of his last contract carefully enough. There should be certain out clauses.

If he doesn't want to do a contract, then paying more for the uncertainty that Fusen mentions is another option he has. He has the choice.

And yes, prices and how reasonable they are do depend on where you live. I live in one of the highest cost of living places in the US, so that price is reasonable for a good school to me. Even the non-contract price.

6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

NOPE if you go to the rates page you only get certain things with certain plans. The mma page gets mma only. They did have a Peak fitness class for mma people but it is not currently running. I found that out by checking on the schedule page. I honestly dont think you get to use the weights and rest of the gym with the mma subscription.

You want group exercise gotta pay it separately. Its like that for all programs.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Its not that i dont want to pay, its why lock me into a binding contract. Their is no reason it has to be so expensive for month to month. That option only exists to push you into a year contract.

Stop saying i dont want to pay, i do want to pay. However 175 month to month is ludicrous.

Why would you want me to be in a long contract anyways?

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Best bet to know for sure is go along and ask. Just because that's what is written down doesn't necessarily mean it's cast in stone
    The idea is not just to become another punter but a valued member. That way doors will open :)
    Just takes a little time

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Sounds like a good system. Its unfortunate its not how it works here. Here everyone has a lawyer on standby and is willing to take you to collections over it on a drop of a hat. If my experience had been like yours i would not have any complaints.

This contract would be more palatable if it did cover cross fit and the rest of the gym. Just reading there membership page it does not. I think when i read it you have to pay for the crossfit separately which makes the monthly even on a contract nearly $300.

10. aaradia

I never said you had to do the contract, just that paying more when not in a contract is reasonable to me.

You always find SOME reason a school is not good enough or suitable. You say you are going to check it out, but find some reason not to go. How many times have you done this now? Now, this school has the sparring, but the price is "ludicrous."

Fine. Go back to your first option, but just GO already. Stop looking for another option, because it seems no other option will ever be good enough.

Just calling it as I see it.

You keep asking for opinions, but in multiple threads, it turns out your mind is made up against the place for one reason or another. Why ask us?

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I did, and they simply parroted there website at me. Everything is electronically encoded and tracks when you leave and enter and what program when your doing. I did however meet the wrestling coach and he was cool.

12. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

You missed the part were they make you pay nearly double to use the weights and cardio. I wanted it to work. OH and i did visit them. The coach i met was cool but the lady in charge just parroted the website membership rates. Even the bit about nearly hundred dollar a month extra to do the other things like weights and crossfit.

This would be a good place, I wont pay 300 a month for ma and the ability to use the weights.

My mind was not made up before i went, i made it up while reviewing there rates. I cant see how i could justify 300 a month to one place..

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's because you're a punter paying for the gym. It takes a while and you become a face, a name. Somebody who'll stick around
    Then you'll proberly get treated differently
    They know most people won't stick around and ATM that's you. You have to show them otherwise

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

edit double.

15. aaradia

I also see you edited really insulting the place two times. I am glad you edited it, but it only confirms to me that maybe the problem is your attitude going into places to check out.

You almost always have an issue. If someone most always has issues with places, the problem may not lie with those places.

I am saying this to try and get you to take a look at yourself, not to be insulting. I think your attitude is getting in the way of developing as a MAist.

Again, I am not saying where to go, just that you need to find someway to go somewhere and NOT find a problem with it.

BTW, I pay a separate gym a dirt cheap rate for weightlifting. You don't HAVE to pay the double rate.

You can find a way to make it work somewhere, somehow - or keep finding reasons not to train. Go to your old boxing place and lift weights, do something! But I note, your originally left that place too, didn't you?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  16. Dead_pool

http://peakfitnessandmma.com/membership/membership-rates/

"MMA per class price / drop-in$15 per class
    Pass for 12 classes – $156
    Pass for 10 classes – $135
    Pass for 8 classes – $112"

From the website - just payg, simple.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I did originally leave the boxing place not because of bad instruction though. I left because i wanted to grapple as well and didnt want to pay 2 separate clubs.

I do however agree with you, that the issue may be in part me. I have been down this road before. Find a good school get engrossed in classes and bang it goes down in flames. I am also scared that ill find some tma that ill probably enjoy only to end up in a situation and get annihilated like so many tma get annihilated when they run across modern arts or just HS wrestlers. We have all seen the videos. I dont want to end up like these guys. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mMtHqXyYc"]TKD vs. MMA - YouTube[/ame] [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn__D-igg3I"]M M A Vs Karate (Tkd or any striking art alone that dose not address the ground skills) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHUDqdlxzE"]Tang Soo Do vs Muay Thai at OC Open Martial Arts Sparring - YouTube[/ame]

Im scared ill end up training something enjoyable but ultimately useless when it comes to the physical aspects of SD. (I am aware of the non physical and that it is also important.)

I am also Leary of contracts due to my bad experience with them. Which i should probably consider reevaluating considering i have been job stable since then.

What i am looking for likely does not exist. I want something with the grappling of bjj, the skills of boxing and MT with the parrying and redirection skills of WC/JKD. Thats what i want and i dont think it exists.

So maybe the problem is i have a problem and i dont know how to deal with it.

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Fusen, To be honest i never really thought of the Drop in rates, thank you for pointing it out. 12 class pass is what 3 class's a week. The 8 class pack is 2 class's a week, so thats not to horrid either, i wont ever get into competition shape but it would work.

Could also use the drop in stuff as cross training supplementation should i ever do any other art.

So if the problem i have is my own fear how the hell do i deal with it?

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly grow a pair and simply go to the class, they are used to beginners being scared they will be nice trust me

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

^ This. Frankly, sucking it up is the only solution there is.

I'm not unsympathetic, I'm a very nervous person myself and I've put off a multitude of things because of how I feel at the prospect of walking into a new place full of people I don't know, let alone a club where you'll be "the outsider." But I also know that every time I've ignored that and gone anyway, I've been fine. As Icefield said clubs are used to new people and they'll look after you. But at the end of the day your two choices are to either go and train, or continue to find excuses for people on an internet forum.