How to tell if a gym is good?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kframe, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Give it a rest, Bodyshot. He's arguing your points, which is valid. You're trying to imply he's young, immature, and incapable of making a cogent point. That's NOT valid. If you can't post with a little perspective, I recommend walking away from the keyboard for a little while until you can.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And to you brother

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, when you make such ignorant statements about women fighting, what do you expect?

What you say is sexist, not reality. I will add my voice to many others here to dispute your claims about women fighting.

If you are going to make statements about MMA training that aren't based in reality, then make statements putting down all women's fighting ability that aren't based in reality,. expect to catch some deserved flak for it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Lady you havnt got a clue about what Im talking about, and im sure as hell not a sexist. I never said women cant fight but dont be dense about it either and dont gang up on me because I argued with some guy about grappleing gorillas when your built like a gibbon...
    My God in Heavin, you dont know me from Adam dont judge me, its a friendly request ok.

5. aaradia

I judge you only from the words you say here.

And I never said you said women can't fight at all. Straw man.

What I am disputing is your repeated claim all women lose to all men all the time.

It's wrong and sexist. Below your YOUR words from multiple posts.....

Note not diputing that that sort of weight advantage isn't extremely helpful (althugh I do dispute they win everytime) to the larger person, just the man vs woman aspect of it.

Others here besides me find your claims off- reread Hannibal's post #200 for example.

6. bodyshot

OK first of all I need you to know that Im not going to leave this forum no matter what any of you or any group of you have to say about me rather its to me directly or just something you post about me, bottom line Im staying here. Next I need you to know that I dont wanna fight with you, we can disagree and Im cool but please lets dont fight, note that makeing fun of each other is ok with me as long as everybody is ok with it.

So this dude that I was argueing with squtch or what every his name was started bagging on strikeing and then he started takeing subtle snob shoots at my system...My name is Bodyshot for petes sake did he really thnk I would just let it slide...Duh...No.:evil:

Also I have posted this before, I train with women, includeing one that holds a two champion title belts, theres no front about it with me, some women can hold there stuff, just like some guys can ya know.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Bodyshot, as someone who practices an art which is at times reviled by various members of the martial arts community I understand the need to defend what you may have perceived as an attack on your art. You have done this in a manner which is inflammatory, blatantly sexist, unreasonable, and assaultive against other members of this forum.

If you wish to represent your art you do so incredibly poorly while displaying a significant gap in both knowledge and decorum.

8. aaradia

Mods are already aware.

I have no say in this topic area, but there have clearly been blatant TOS violations here and I am quite sure a topic mod in this area or a Global mod will be taking care of this little explosion soon.

In the meantime, people need to cool down and post according to the TOS.

Bodyshot, I am sorry about your wife, I truly am. It is not a pass to to repeatedly swear though.

9. bodyshot

Yes mam, I get that, I cleaned up the spatter, and I knew what would happen.

10. bodyshot

Alright let me take my remaining time here to post what Zanshin is for ya ok. Well first off its a hybrid system, ask Hannible what that means if you wanna know. Second thing you should know is that its a strikeing art and it looks alot like a kick boxing/judo mix when you watch us spar. We dont advocate to lock some one out for self defense, we stick with the strike.
    All that said we actuall do a fair amount of ground work. We practice escapes and drill sweeps and defend strikes and chokes and all that good stuff but we dont do locks at least not at my level.
    Its a pretty happy school with lots of kids, and people. Its easy to get a BB lols:hat: and the instructor is a pretty nice guy.
    All in all Im pretty certain I could handle myself against a man my own weight and experience level, I am actually kinda bad, lols just sayin.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fair enough man, It seems an intriguing style, not too dissimilar to san shou.

As for my conduct, i'd like to apologize if i caused any offence as this was not my intent, and i hope that the new year brings health to your wife and a speedy path to your black belt and the Tuesday night class.

12. bodyshot

And same to you Bro, no hard feelings and all is well that ends well.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Well that's not what I expected to wake up to.

I've deleted several posts, some of which didn't break the ToS, but which didn't work in the thread clean up, so sorry if yours has disappeared.

I'm glad you have all reached a civil conclusion and self policing is always the best for of moderation.

Bodyshot, despite your posts being deleted I can still see what was written and it was quite nasty.

It would in any other circumstances be enough for a ban, but because you have gone back and deleted them and reached a civil conclusion I'm going to let it slide.

You have accused others of being all knowing, yet I do have to tell you that you are posting in the same manner.

Please be a little more accepting of what others are saying and treat MAP like a martial arts class.

Take in what is useful and learn from it and reject that which you don't like.

I wish you and your wife a happy new year and ask all members to now move on and discuss the topic.

Edit: I have one further request. Ease up on the bro and the lols. It probably work okay in a text message, but doesn't come across so well on a forum.

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Sorry guys my internet has been down for the last week. Aaradia you are very correct. I have been through 3 defunct places to train and it is making my wracked with indecision. Also you mention that if it dosent involve a lengthy contract to go for it. That is were it gets sticky. At this gym you have several options. Month to month is $175, 6 month contract is $150 and year contract is $125. So they are obviously pushing you into the year contract.

I am considering giving it a try just due to the wrestling and BJJ.

However i am also considering just working out at the YMCA lifting weights and simply returning the DKBC were i first started boxing. Its also a option because part of me really wants to focus on loosing weight and getting in shape. And this option would do that well with the weights at the Y and the great Interval cardio workout that is boxing.

That said ill try a drop in class and let you know how it goes. Maybe ill be impressed.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

People really want everything dont they, top quality instruction, permanent gym, multiple classes, stability and also dirt cheap classes through payg.

Sounds like this gym is offering everything you want, but you don't want to pay for its facilities.

16. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I did the contract thing once and ill never do it again.. 10 years ago i stuck my foot in the martial arts kiddie pool and did karate. They had a contract, and it was ok. Problem was 4 months in i lost my job and couldnt keep going. He said tough your luck you have a contract and took me to collections over it.

So im not sorry with regards to dislike for contracts.. I dont want to be locked into anything that im not married to.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm with Kframe, pay by the month. If you have a good gym people will come. $175 a month is too much.

18. aaradia

I don't think it is too much if one goes regularly. I assume at that price one has full access all the time..........

It's what Fusen says, people want everything but they don't want to pay for it.

And IF he decides he like it, he can opt for the cheaper options after a couple of months.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Youve already said they did a non contract monthly.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well I guess if it was a 24 hour place that would be a little more reasonable. I'd just move house and get a new job and better gym. Joys of being a 20 something nobody ;p