How to recover after a period of awful lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Please tell me that this is a joke. I'm 99% sure that it is, but I'd just like to be certain.

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Actually, my brother needs to drink water that has a non acidic PH. Water PH levels can differ a bit, and for him, base PH is much better.

3. ned

ned Valued Member

'
    The water in Blackburn where my wife's from is soft and tastes amazing,mostly coming straight off the Pennines.Our water down here near Oxford is hard, limescaley and tastes horrible in comparison.I guess bottled water is usually fairly neutral ph-wise but if you're lucky enough to live an area with decent tap water, bottled water is an expensive indulgence.

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Thanks everybody for the advice! :)
    I am slowly getting better, maybe a little bit too slowly, but then, all of it was just my own fault. :D

I'll second ned, bottled water is usually neutral or alkaline. I've lived in the countryside for a while - with no drinkable water, so welcome bottles! Most of them have a ph between 7 and 8. I've never found one with an acidic PH.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Oh I wish but if you're doing everything right then I guess small improvements are the only ones to make?
    I swear by this water

http://www.yellowtailwine.com

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it can make a difference to tea? That's not good!

7. ned

ned Valued Member

Tea in Blackburn tastes better-no question!

8. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

You test the pH of your drinking water? Is it really that boring in the countryside? :p

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

me: drink for a month put weight on, stop drinking exercise like mad, cardio weights, total healthy diet loads of chicken and veg, a ton of water, have a drink rinse and repeat i did drop from 19 stone to about 15.5 when i stopped for a year and havent gone past 16 though, im 5'11 and 3/4 (boohoo not 6ft)

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

yeah nothing processed EVER

11. Wildlings

It's written on the bottles, you genius! :p :D

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Man, I wrote a response to this earlier and apparently closed the window in my haze of pitifulness. John: fail!

Yeah, how embarrassing. And thank you Fish. I had two concepts mixed up in my addled head when I wrote that.

(I believe it works as follows; but I am still too ill and busy to fact check this, so this purely from memory.)

Yes, fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins absolutely are a reference to how readily those compounds pass through all cellular walls. Now I don't know if it's actually all cells or just most, but the principle applies regardless. Cells are a lot more stingy releasing fat-soluble vitamins than water-soluble, so there is a much greater risk of them accumulating behind cellular walls and making you sick. Essentially, it takes your body much longer to purge vitamins A and D and return it to a safe homeostatic base.

The concept I had mixed up is that I believe fat cells happen to be some of the greediest cells in your body for storing compounds and grudgingly releasing them. Just like me, fat cells have food aggression issues. :p

I cannot stress this next point enough. People absolutely cannot safely take vitamins and supplements to substitute a healthy diet. I know I mentioned this point earlier, but I wanted to sufficiently stress the magnitude of it to you. Humans receive much healthier, more robust nutritional needs eating predominately organic (this is particularly important for Americans, it might be different in Italy) fruits and vegetables as the staple of their diets. Fruits, vegetables, conservative healthy unsalted/unprocessed nuts, and minimal lighter more organic meats (a couple of portions a week at most) is the diet of choice among many dietitians for very sick people for a very good reason. That said, everyone's food allergies, digestive tract, microorganism count, physiology, genetics, etc. are different, so most people have to find a variation of what works specifically for their bodies the best. I assure you that processed junk food is not it though. If you choose to take vitamins, your body will absorb them far less efficiently than it will nutritious, healthy food. In my opinion, vitamins/supplements should only be used with a healthy diet to target very specific deficiencies that cannot realistically be corrected by diet alone.

I hope you're feeling better, and resting. :) You're a smart girl Wildlings. You have a good personality and a great sense of humor. Take good care of your body while you're young, because without a healthy body, your education, career, and family obligations cannot realistically be met.

13. Wildlings

Aw. Thank you, John. :)

I eventually decided not to take any supplement as they cost an awful lot and I'd rather buy the whole greengrocer's with that money, but the information on this thread was very interesting. ;)
    The recovery is going just fine. My parents are back home now, so someone's taking care of me - which involves trying all the 1000 variations of cabbage recipes, too :D.

14. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Fair enough. My bottled water doesn't share that kind of information. And in my defense, I reckon you've gotta be pretty bored just to be reading the label on bottled water :p

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You mean there are people who don't do this?

There's some proper weirdos out there. :D