how to practice kumite..alone

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Terri63, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

I was at karate class last night...and see I AM really making progress..on practicing katas and stuff I can do on my own...are there any suggestions on how I can train fro kumite when its just me...(coz it IS like 90% of the time)

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The only thing I can think of is if you drill on equipment like boxers do- get yourself a double end bag maybe?

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You can't really practice kumite on your own in the strictest sense. Really, to practice your kumite you should be practicing your kihon. Put combinations together like age uke --> gyaku zuki and so on, then when you get a bit more advanced you can start mucking around with working on combos for free kumite.

So in essence you can either do basics/line work or you can shadow box.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

For the record, if your regular solo practice isn't helping your movement in unscripted paired practice, you're doing it wrong. Or more importantly, you aren't considering the purpose of the solo practice and therefore failing to gain attributes it's supposed to develop. This is different with each drill. If your teacher isn't teaching you what the practice is for and how it relates to the application of your art, you should find a new school.

5. Ozebob

Ozebob Valued Member

Solo Drills

There is plenty you can do to enhance your kumite skills. Practice your attacks in front of a mirror to ensure your technique is correct and that you are not giving away tell tale signs of what is about to come (telegraphing moves). Use a bag or other target and practice scoring, ie heavy contact or controlled distance. Practice defensive techniques such as evasion, footwork and defending against specific attacks... you should get the idea! Better still if you have a partner but not always possible.

Ozebob

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I like what Llamageddon said. Basically shadow box. Maybe try starting out with 10 minutes a day of shadow boxing in addition to other training.

One of the big parts of kumite is conditioning training. So your shadow boxing should be a length of time longer than any round. e.g. if you are looking at 3 times 2 minute rounds, then shadow box for 3 times 4 minute rounds. I was training for one 5 minute round, so one 10 minute shadow boxing round worked for me at the time since shadow boxing isn't going to be 100% speed and power but instead at a slower speed and power because you are striking in the air.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Valued Member

You could always paint your fence and other housework? :D

8. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Terri surely your Dojo has ido or line combos, there very important as the step between kihon and Kumite.