How to increase upper body strength.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Apr 14, 2007.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

If I do weighted dips(keeping my elbows in) and weighted pullups. And some scarecrows http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459846, stretching my chest lats and triceps, will my upper body strength increase, and will I remain injury free?

I know what im doing with my lower body.

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

why not add some military presses and good old bench presses

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

And Rows

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Other then trying to improve "upper body strength", what are you aiming to achieve flaming? A 'cobra' hood of lats? A back that looks like it was chisled from a block of granite? Or just a fit, well muscled, functional back?

The exercises you mentioned are great compound exercises! If your goal is size, add bent over or T-bar rows to your routine. For your lower back and legs, always do Deadlifts. Not to mention how wonderful Deads are for the rest of your body!

Yes! Stretching is great to remain injury free and keep you flexible. Massage is also a great idea! The best way to avoid injury is to train wisely and avoid going too far.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Well I was going to do them to increase my strength and as my strength increases work my way through these skills, one arm pushups, handstand, front lever, handstand pushups, one arm pullups(lol) etc

For my lower body I have an anterrior tilt so im doing the exercises(strength and mobility), soft tissue and stretching for the appropiate muscles. I ve only been doing the stuff for a day and my back feels less painfull. Would an anterrior tilt make a handstand dificult?

6. narcsarge

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. Doing a quick bit of research on Anterior Pelvic Tilt, it seems strengthening your abs, hips, hamstrings will help you. That, and seeing a qualifited physiotherapist, can reduce your pelvic issues. That being said, you need strong abs and core to do handstands. Though you can always do handstand pushups with your feet against a wall. That is how I started doing them.

The exercises you set as your goals incorporate a whole lot more then your back. One arm pullups for example, require grip/forearm strength as much as back.

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I've seen guys destroy some RCs doing dips, so doing dips does not ensure shoulder safety. The main importance is you listen to your body when it's had enough.

But doing dips and pullups should get you stronger.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What is correct form for dips? I read that for benchpressing the elbows should be kept inwards is this true for dips? I keep my kneck pulled back is that right?

I fail at the top of pullups. Should i include isometric top holds/frenchies or swap pullups for isometric top holds/frenchies?

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I had a period without access to a bench, and my bench press went downhill pretty fast as soon as I started again. I tried various different techniques but I think military pressing and weighted pushups probably helped the most.

10. narcsarge

If you are having problems failing at the top of your pullups do static holds for as long as possible. Preferably at the end of your workout. Get a spotter to help you up and hold the pullup. Really concentrate on pulling your shoulders back and bringing your chest to the bar. These will kill you! Only do 5 or so. Hold as long as is possible and then have your partner help you right back up.

For Dips, I tend to keep my elbows in close with a slight forward tilt to my upper torso. My shoulders never pass in front of my hands if that helps. I can go pretty low because of my gymnastics training but go only as low as you feel comfortable with.

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Work static holds and negatives.

Lower yourself a few cms, and hold for 3 seconds, lower again and repeat.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

But maintain my normal amount of reps?

Lol thats a silly question, my volumes already rediculously low.

13. Proeliator

Proeliator New Member

If you do negatives and static holds you will not be able to maintain your regular amount of reps unless you increase your rest intervals. Focus on form and less on the reps for now.

Just my opinion..

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Lets say you can't do a single full ROM pullup. You'd do maybe 3 sets of 8 negs for a week. Then you'd add some static holds.

After that week, you'll probably have the strength for 2-3 full ROM pullups. You can then do 10 sets of 2, or 3 sets of 2, with more negs. There soo many ways to increase your strength on the bar.

You could do bodyrows aswell, another great way to build up strength for the bar.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have realy small hands and relatively long arms, a bad combination for anything except punching people.

Yesterday I did 5 reps with 3 seconds at the top and a slow negative for 3 sets. I do pullups 3 times a week, I'll increase the top holds to 5 seconds on the day before, 2 days rest, then decrease the length of top hold and increase the weight, after the 2 days, then a lower intensity lower top hold workout, that should work.