how to get speed in your punches

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by findurinsanity, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Boxers train punches with weights (hand weights, over-weighed gloves, lead weighted gloves, punching dumbells) to get used to fighting with weight on their hands because fight gloves (especially sparring gloves) get heavy in later rounds and bring your hands down

It also gives you power and speed. Olympic level boxing coaches swear by this and I don't think it has to be proven on a molecular level to satisfy your overly scientific liking. Jeff Fenech, Archie Moore, John Brown and Roger Mayweather are some of the trainers who regularly use hand weights with their boxers - I guess they 'don't know anything'

You dont sound much like a fighter at all, I bet you haven't even been in the ring against someone with bad intentions. Anyway, bye

2. SouL

SouL Valued Member

I dont belive in using weight training i thk you can do without its not essential but can help if done correctly. Only weight training id do is body weight such as press ups.

As far as punching being faster due to weights on arms i really dont know on this one we got prophet giving us all this sceince crap no one can be arsed to read and other people saying it works as its proven because many athletes do it. All i can say is that i never read anywhere bruce saying that his speed was due to strapping weights round his arms infact i belive bruce pumped some of his muscles just to look good on camera. All i remmber about bruces weight training was to not develop bulk muscles and to start off with heavy weights with low reps then go down to light weights with high reps. Never tried this but im pretty sure this is what bruce did and prob why he had muscle on muscle lol

ps

Science cant explian everything so althoguh u might be right now doesnt mean you can always cling onto science for explanations.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Prophets song for the day:

"La la la, people on here need to learn more about how the body works, la la laaaa.

Good no?

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

No, we punch with gloves on to get used to punching with gloves on.

Incorrect.

Speed and power are increased by improving your absolute strength and your starting strength. Your absolute strength is increased by progressive overloading of the musculature and by increasing the CNS efficiency. Starting strength is increased by exersises that recruit the most fast twitch motor units in the shortest time possible. Speed is also increased by CNS inprovements that come by doing the actual movement sans-resistance.

Punching with weights is horrible/useless at all these aspects.

Correct. They have no idea why they are doing this and are only doing it on pure anecdotal bases. Should they be more educated in exersise physiology and neurobiology they would say "hay, there are FAR better ways of acheiving my goals then punching with weights! Dammit, ive been wasting so much time. I wish I knew then what I know now!"

What is a fighter supposed to sound like? "grr, me punch faster then dem odder fighters, me gooder me gooder! Me smash and bash!" :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Did you ever train anyone with the boxing skills of Pretty Boy Floyd?

Ok, didn't think so

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Like I said before. There are many cases of exceptional athletes with inferior training methods. In fact, there are cases of exceptional athletes with downright stupid training methods.

You dont have to have the most presice, scientificly planned, perfect training regime to be an elite athlete (tho it helps).

So just because some elite athlete does it, does not make it right.

Ali jogged with weighted boots! Bruce lee thought you could spot reduce fat!

Still great athletes tho.

7. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

But my e-penis is bigger.

8. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I agree with eMTe, on the first page that's what exactly what I do to speed up my punches.

You can also convince yourself to do as many punches as you can for 1,5,or 10 seconds. Try to get in 4-6 punches in per second (fully extended) not over extended.

Think of it as from point A to point B

9. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

hmm.... for those that do wing chun you might want to practice huen sao with chain punches to gain speed...

however... i am intersested in weights... light weights (1kg)... i don't see how prophets logic is quiet right. though if there are some credible sources without advertising in them i might agree (i do agree that anything more then 3 pounds is crazy and harmful).

THIS IS MY REASONING:
    1.... if a martial artist trains without shoes... then wears shoes and walks 2 miles... will this give them arthritas? umm no.

2. if a martial artist trains with gloves.... will this give them arthritas if they way 16oz? why not... if a weight weighing 16oz does?

get what im saying? that gloves=weight.... nongloves with weight = the same weight!!!!

shoes=weight.... ankle weights=weight... if they weigh the same how is it different?

what if we wear clothing when we train are we going to get arthritas because it weighs 2 pounds?

however i am thinking of using them for yoga, qigong and doing my wing chun forms... walking to school etc.

i kind of see the argument for using them at high speeds or high power, how it could throw your joints or muscles out... and seem rather ackward... but for slow meditative workouts... i find them rather interesting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  10. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

I can throw 6 wing chun punches in a second is that considered fast?

11. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

agreed... that is why i like wing chun... huen sao really speeds up my punches... along with doing the SLT form very very slowly... then mixing it up with parts being slow... parts being fast....

chain punches get faster as you practice them... but they get faster as you learn other moves as well.

stretching helps as well... yoga/qigong/stretching... along with my kettlebell i've seen a great improvement... but i do get lazy lol.

the hardest thing is to do wing chun chain palm strikes... sometimes my elbows hit eachother when i go to fast lol which messes up my form

if someone wants cheap weights... get gloves. if they want to use weights... do so slowly so you dont rip out your joints/muscles. i would like to try ankle/wrist weights for slow movement forms, meditating and walking... but i do not want to ruin my body by using them at fast speeds... that would be retarded

12. vickbd

vickbd New Member

"Bruce thought he could spot reduce fat"..

Can you explain, Prophet?

-Vick.

13. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

how could huen sau help the speed of your punches?

your elbows hit each other? how is this even possible, you must be hunched up like crazy

14. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

huan sao streangthens your forarms and wrists... it has helped increase my speeds. if you are wise, what is your advice related to wing chun? a proper huan sao is very good for reducing inflamation in carpal tunnel or tendonidas (however it is spealt), which tendonidas i have from shoulder surgery. when i practice huan sao slowly or at an applicable speed, it reduces the inflamation and increases my range of movement. so yes, that increases speed.

palm strikes on the centerlines.... are hard to do at as fast of a speed as chain punches. after practicing some and paying attention to what i'm doing, its often my forarms that clash and not my elbows (also my inner elbow on the inner part of the arm at the join... lol sorry is their a term for this?). yes at slow speed... this never happens... but trying to do 3-4 a second kind of mishmashes. not everyone is a master palm striker after 2-3 years experience, are you? if that was the case... then sifu's and other wing chunners wouldn't state that palm strikes are usually for more advance students, unline the chain punch.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  15. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

prophet is right, everyone else is wrong. the thread did not need to go on this long.

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

the way to increase speed in your punches is to work on a speed bag the same way a boxer does :rolleyes:

17. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i disagree, this is because wing chun punches are not boxing punches (the kind above your head against a speedbag)... it might increase the speed of your punches, but not the speed of your punching forms.

thats why i think its better to work on your muscles while practicing your punches against a wallbag and/or punching bag.

but then again, i think there are many ways to increase the ways of our punches, since we all have come up with many.

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

jroe52 boxing punches are different from wing chun but by utilizing the speed bag one can increase their hand speed, hand and eye cordination, then use that speed to be more effective in their lop sao and pak sao. i'm not arguing with you because jkd and boxing are different but some of boxings ' training can make you better at jkd. i weight train, workout on the heavy bag, speed bag , and work on wing chun on the wing chun dummy all of which i believe utilize a jkd'ers attributes so to speak. :) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  19. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

hmm i think i read it as 'its the only way' rather then, a way. i think we all should find our own path and take in alot of advice and options and try them for ourselves... i think thats what bruce lee brought to MA, the ability to think outside the box and try other options that work best for you, not a system.

i find it amazing how many different ways there are to train wing chun specifics (like wall bag, dummy, boxing bag, speed bag, a wall, water, sand bags etc)

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

jroe52

i did not mean it as the only way.sorry for the misunderstanding.there were alot of good suggestions posted i just wanted to add one that was not already mentioned. " Not all who wonder are lost "