how to get speed in your punches

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by findurinsanity, Aug 11, 2005.

1. findurinsanity

findurinsanity New Member

i know the only way is to train alot but how do you train to get very fast punches like say bruce lee? what exercises and stuff? thank you

2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

If I'm not mistaken, punching a heavy bag is a good method to build your speed up.

Peace

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Skipping
    Shadow Boxing
    Bag/Padwork
    Sparring

and a good cardio regime to ensure you can remain fast over longer periods of time.

You could also try punching mosquitos or something

4. eMTe

eMTe New Member

Relax

Relax your arms. First start by just lightly slapping a bag with an open relaxed hand using the back of your fingers. Exhale a short burst of air at the moment of impact. After a while of doing this you may notice that the faster you do the short exhales the faster your punches. Do not add power, keep it like this for a while, but over time close your hand into a fist. Rotate your forearm for a reverse punch, that will add snap. Do not leave your arm out there, pull it back in as fast as you put it out there. Snap is just as much the retraction of your fist as it is delivering it.

After you've trained yourself to punch with a light fist, start teaching your self to flex your muscles right at the moment of impact. A bad punch is when you exert all of your strength from the moment of delivery. It will be slow and your opponent will probably see your arm tensing up and know your about to punch. Fast, light, and flex.

A few other things. Use your hips and shoulders. The power from a punch should come from twisting your upper body. Twist your hips and push your punching shoulder forward while pulling the other shoulder back. Do not lean, you will lose your balance, just twist your upper body. This will give your reach as well as power. If your back heel is not lifting from the ground then you are not pivoting enough. A good jab should be similar but the reverse. Your front heel should lift and your shoulders should become straight with your arm at the moment of impact.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Fast punching......Takes alot of training time to learn to relax enough to only fire-up the muscle needed to get the job done....(this is truly what really slow people down in punching speed).....This will only happen when someone puts in 100% Intent; over time......The hand moves first!.....When you tense up to soon or to late; the result is noticeable from the person attacking you......Aways train if its real and never lock-out punches; this will slow your punches big time........Work on the foundation; which is footwork......Slow footwork = slow hands, period......My Sifu; OBLS Jerry Poteet is a great JKD Instructor......I have over the years; that the hand is the extension of self........Nothing more....Nothing less....

Peace-Out! :)
    John McNabney

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  6. Simple

Simple New Member

first

get some 10 pounds wieghts and slowly punch wit it wit u carryin the weighs, if thats too light, try 15 pounds wieghs and do a rep of 20 if thats too light try 20, before u can be fast, u must first kno every motion that is used when ur punching someone. Just keep doing that 100 times until ur arm feel super tired, or get use to the wieght. U want to strengent ur fore arm, plus u can also work ur balance too while ur doin this, lol. Ull see what i mean when the wieghs get heavier.

7. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Some think this is the way.......First of all your fist doesn't close all the way when you do this type of training...... You are how you train your nervous system.......Your nervous system is an internal communication network that enables you to adjust to change in its environment......When punching you need to be relaxed, not tense.......So saying that; one can see if you are holding a weight in your hand, your forearm would be tense......This would cause your nervous system to be in this state all the time, when.........Softness is the name of the game and hardness at the wrong time will act as a brake.......After 35 years of training and research........Simplicity is what we seek as martial artist........"Softness Will Get You There, Hardness Will Shatter Them and Softness Will Bring You Back" by Sifu John McNabney......

Peace-Out!
    John :D

8. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

agree the more relaxed you are the uicker you are

9. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

you need to develop a high strength to weight ratio to develop your body to its maximum combination of speed and mass. you must also wok on non-teleraphic motion, which sounds complicated, but is a trait you could develop within 2 years of good training.
    yesterday, i was popping a guy in the face while i looked in another direction, i.e. non-intention. always make sure your hand moves first.
    most people will disagree w/ me on this, but forget slow training. slow does not equal fast. fast equals fast. just relax and let lose.

10. Simple

Simple New Member

Look at Tommy, he trains like that and see how fast his hands are. I cant tell whether they are tensed or not. Either way its fast, really really fast. You kno why? From training like that due time your forearm and muscles become more and more compact. To the point where they become naturally compact. Training this way will not make you tense unless you want it to be tensed. if your a martial artist you will kno when your body is is tensed always and it is reversable, its all in your mind.

11. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

1. Build a campfire.

2. Punch through the flames without burning yourself...too much ;)

*Notice the remarkable improvement in the speed of your punches!

3. Realize that I'm just kidding :D

12. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

No NO nOOO!! :bang: :bang:

Punching with weights does NOTHING!

God when will people learn this.

Also, I can not believe noone has mentioned weight training yet! Serisouly, lifting big heavy weights will improve your speed more than anything.

Benchpress, rows, pullups, dips.

13. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

you don't learn to punch faster, you are born with it...or not;

14. faster than you

one is born with a ceiling which one can reach through training.

15. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Guys, allmost noone ever reaches their genetic limit. Its near impossible. So dont even waste your time thinking about it.

16. faster than you

thanks. i'll stop training to be my best now and settle for being ok.

17. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

That was pretty dumb sounding :D

I mean, training your best - constantly will allow you to constantly be improving.

But why would you hope to hit your limit? Then you would just be dissapointed when you dont. Or if you did (by some random fluke of your limit being low and easy), you would be bored because you cant improve. I know I would be.

By all means try, just dont get your hopes up ;) Just aim to constantly improve, and dont worry about any limit.

Thats what I was getting at.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  18. WingTsunFtr

WingTsunFtr New Member

I attack the wall or heavy bag with 100 chain punches. then, without rest I do 100 airpunches. The airpunches seem to fly because there is no resistance. I repeat this a few times.
    If I don't keep up with this drill I experience lag...

www.rockfordwingtsun.com

19. JKD_15

JKD_15 New Member

Bruce Lee used to use small (yet heavily weighted) metal cylinders for speed training. They were small enough to fit in his hand w/o altering his clench, and the weight of the cylinders encouraged a nice snap.

20. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

i found concentrating effort on the retraction of my arm whilst punching (rather than the extention) helped improve the speed of my jab immensly