How to get rid of a belly

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DogMonkey, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I eat breakfast quite late, after 10am :) but I dont usually exercise until the evening, after a further two meals and maybe a snack an hour before

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

might have to do with at what time you wake up. i tend to get insanely hungry around 8-9 o'clock if i wake up around 7. i usually wake up at 10 at the earliest, more usually between 11 and 14 if i don't have to do anything in the morning, in which case i'm usually not hungry until well into the evening. that said, if you eat, you won't be hungry immediately afterwards. if you eat breakfast at, say, 7:30, and have lunch at 12, that's just 4.5 hours between each, so if you eat something that takes time to digest both during breakfast and during lunch, you should be golden.

also, how one feels the body works is sadly irrelevant compared to how it actually works, which is an epic mindscrew of endocrine reactions :p

3. Fish Of Doom

there are no people without fat stores. you need them to, you know, live :p

4. Princess Haru

although this is primarily a bodybuilding debate, there is an interesting discussion on meal frequency... oh it's quite long [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3c52PQATY"]The Great Bodybuilding Debate - Ian McCarthy and Dave Pulcinella discuss BroScience vs Hard Science - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, when you eat so little you get liver bloat and fluid retention, then you need to start worrying about it.

I have first-hand knowledge of dramatically low calorie intake. For the majority of my twenties I had intestinal spirochetosis, after the first couple of years peristalsis became incredibly painful. I'd often go for 24-48 hours without food, and when I did eat it often wasn't more than oatcakes and tzatziki with apple & mango juice (foods that were least irritating to my gut).

I still managed to increase strength and definition, as well as keep my cardio up. Though adding bulk didn't happen, obviously.

It was a good lesson in how few calories we need to function.

6. David Harrison

I think that body clock may have something to do with which meal you feel you can't do without.

I'm on the evening meal side of the fence, but I'm a total night owl. Keeping a "normal" time routine makes me feel terrible, I've never felt as bad as when living a 9 to 5 working existence. No matter what my sleeping pattern, I always feel most awake after around 9pm.

It seems logical that I wouldn't generally feel hungry if my body thinks it should be sleepy time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Isn't that the loading your body with energy right before you rest?

I was advised to do the reverse. Eat like a king for breakfast, eat like a normal human for lunch and eat like a vegan on a diet for dinner.

8. David Harrison

I think you have to take the time to get to know your own body, and find out what works best for you.

9. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

I feel I need to refine my statement. When I mean breakfast I don’t mean a large meal (think 800+ calories), nor do I think this should be eaten the moment you wake up. If you wake up and have breakfast after say 2 hours I still think this is fine. What you need in the morning is different for everybody. I myself am not a breakfast person getting in a medium sized meal in the morning is hard for me. I usually don’t feel particularly hungry and if I force myself to eat one I feel bloated and sometimes nauseated.

What I do mean is that within hours of waking up (say 2-3 hours) you’d need to eat something preferably something with a high amount of protein. This is in order to prevent yourself from becoming hungry (or maybe I should say really hungry) which can lead to binge eating and is a sign that your body needed calories x amount of time ago. Your body has just fasted for 8-9 hours (or more if you don’t eat before going to sleep) and needs energy to function effectively. If you feel you need this right away or after a few hours is up to you. Don’t however wait hours until lunch, say you wake up 7/8 am and lunch is 1 pm, from everything I’ve read and experienced this is bad for your protein synthesis and metabolism also you might suffer from a lack of energy which can stay with you for the rest of the day.

Cardio especially HIIT before breakfast is probably the best fat burning type of exercise you can do. However for maximum benefit eat within 30 minutes after so your body can keep its metabolism going like a high speed train!

When talking about protein synthesis especially for people that lift heavy weights (something you’d want to do if you want to lose fat) you’ll want to make sure to give your body steady amounts of protein whole day round. This is why I take a protein shake first thing in the morning and eat fat free high protein quark cheese right before I go to bed. This is so while I’m sleeping my body still has a good amount of protein going on and when I wake up this first thing my body gets and needs is protein.

Typically I wake up take a protein shake and have breakfast within 1-2 hours depending on how I feel and what other stuff I’m doing.

10. Fish Of Doom

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Which makes perfect sense. Before breakfast, you're already burning body fat. After breakfast, you are getting calories from your breakfast.

12. Count Duckula

Depends on your dayschedule I suppose.
    I eat diner at 17:30. I can eat a small icecream around 20:30.
    And I go to sleep around midnight.

By the time I hit the bed, the process of digestion has been done with.
    I agree with you that eating a lot, shortly before going to bed is a bad idea.

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hm... well looking at the evidence...
    nom carbs and protein like crazy after training to take advantage of increased protein metabolism and glycogen compensation.

14. Count Duckula

You are absolutely 100% right. And the reason can usually be found in your next paragraph.

Of course, being female, you are used to being right. My wife is also always right, even if she is wrong :D

sugary snacks and alcohol ar the 2 worst things in terms of keeping your blood sugar stable. And indeed, they are the ones who make you go hungry as a result.

I have a colleague like that (very fat) who eats a carb breakfast and then tries to skip lunch. very bad, because the carbs have kicked your engine into gear, and when the tank gets empty, there is a great sensation of being hungry before the fat burning has kcked into gear again.

As a result, he often ends up eating chocolate waffles around 3 PM.
    Im am not a hardcore no-carb person, but I do find that when trying to lose weight or fast, carbs in the absence of protein and fat are the thing that make your life really difficult.

15. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

So what do I call my ringtone?

16. Princess Haru

^ it's in a different context, not faux exercise, so I think it's acceptable. I just get really annoyed at the fitness industry's attempt to patronise all women by making us think we need to do light feeble weights and infinite cardio so we can look like Jane Fonda (circa 1980 something). It's wrong and someone needs to stand up and say enough!

17. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I had to explain to a female friend of mine at jujitsu that lifting weights etc wasn't going to make her some massive bulky body builder and that it would in fact help her "get toned"

18. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

My GF does light weights hi reps, cardio interval training, and Body Combat, is 5'7" 9st10lbs and a UK size 8, works for her.

19. righty

righty Valued Member

Your GF is a time traveling Jane Fonda?

20. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

That's a movie I'd pay to see.