How to get rid of a belly

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DogMonkey, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

I'm not fat but I do have a belly on me:
    http://gyazo.com/6a6605b5a05f2e00158ebe53fb7f44ba
    I wanna get rid of it. I don't have easy access to any clubs at the moment so I'm just practicing with my brother every day. What would you say the best techniques are to lose a belly. Before practicing with my bro we warm up by skipping for 5 minutes then do various other warmup techniques but the skipping is the one that kills me, if I try to go 10 minutes I end up drenched in sweat so I assume thats a good exercise.

Can anyone recommend some effective and fun exercises for losing body fat, more specifically for losing a belly?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

There isn't a cardio exercise I know of better than going for a run.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sort your diet out.

No point in working your **** off if you are eating rubbish.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sort your diet first. You can work off hundreds or a thousand or so calories in a good workout.

You can eat or drink a thousand calories without noticing if you don't watch your diet.

The first principle for losing weight is to get your diet right.

Mitch

5. DogMonkey

DogMonkey Valued Member

Yeah I've been making changes to my diet recently. Its not perfect but its not bad. I don't eat the crap I used to. For breakfast, I eat porridge with strawberries, bluberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds and honey and a couple of spoons of fish oil every morning. Now I just need to learn some new recipes so I can start making myself healthy lunches and dinners.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what they said. diet is the key, then exercise.

i suggest writing down every single thing you eat or drink, at least for a week or two. it's been my experience that i eat stuff without even registering it, leading to eating more than i think i ate. needless to say i soon cut down on that during the period in which i was keeping the food log and identifying what i actually NEEDED from what i was eating.

7. Considered

Considered New Member

If you burn more calories than you consume in a day you lose fat.

I have some "facts" and figures here but I've not personally confirmed them, in a month or two I should be able to share some information that I've actually proven myself...

In the meantime the theory is:

Each gram of body fat is worth X calories (allegedly 9 calories)
    If you eat less calories than your body burns it collects the deficit from body fat.
    Therefore if you consume 900 calories less than you need a day - you'll loose 100 grams of body fat a day.

...this theory is somewhat complicated by some variations your body can make on collecting energy supplies, however, on balance, eventually that's basically true (pending confirmation of calories per gram of body fat).

So, you need to figure out how many calories you are burning each day, and then you can eat a bit less than that for a while.

Here are some tools that can help you figure that out:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php

You need to figure out your RMR (resting metabolic rate), which'll tell you how many calories you need to survive, and then add any exersize calories to that (there's any number of calculators to figure that out on the internet).

...I'd also echo what FishOfDoom said, when you monitor what you actually eat you might be suprised how quickly you can hit your daily need from time to time, especially when you think that just butter/margarine in a sandwich can add an extra 50% to the calories! Butter is EXPENSIVE from that point of view.

...I'd also recommend multi-vitamins full-stop, but especially if considering going on a diet.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Your belly: Cut out hydrogenated fats for a start. Muffin-tops of today are a modern invention. Something new may be involved. Artificial sweetners maybe too.

In others: Do giri. :)

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

60 situp daily will be helpful.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Eh!?!?!?!

Anyway...to the OP....you say you aren't fat but that you have a belly.
    Sorry to break it to you man but....you are fat. You just carry it in one place (as is common in men) so you don't feel as though you are fat per se.
    I only have the beginings of a mid-life belly but I've a feeling I'm carrying internal fat too and would be to heavy for my height and build as a result.
    I'd say I'm "fat" but don't look it at a glance.

So...as far as I know you can't spot reduce fat. If you control calory intake and expenditure, without reducing your lean muscle mass, you will lose fat but, by and large, your body will dictate where that fat is removed from and your belly might be the last thing to go.
    Ab work, sit ups etc will tone the stomach muscles and help make the most of what you've got under the fat (and might help lift a belly and make it seem less fat looking perhaps?) so that's always worth doing.
    Any sort of core work will help as it'll help with posture too.

12. Considered

Considered New Member

This is also my belief and experience. It seems that our individual bodies simply store fat in their own chosen places.

For many years my belief about weight loss and gain were completely abstract, there is a lot of nonsense out there about it.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Set up work for me.

14. gapjumper

Not sure why you would choose to read that out of context.

Part of the issue may be due to modern diet. Maybe hydrogenated fats, "diet" drinks etc.

Not the whole story but possibly a contributing factor.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Because it doesn't make sense.
    Male pattern fat storage (storing fat around the torso) is a modern invention?
    Not really.
    We get muffin tops because people insist on wearing clothes that are too small for them because they won't accept what size they are.
    But that way of storing fat is as old as the human species as fas as I know.

How would artifical sweetners cause muffin tops?
    They don't contribute any food energy so they don't add calories.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Lol. Mate muffin tops were invented by tight pants. Willing to bet that gama and older timer wrestlers would've had muffin tops if you put them in modern clothing.
    All of them ate paleo and many were veggie.

Diet sorted is key though.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Unless sweeteners cause hormonal changes that affect nutrient partitioning and fat store - haven't read mich confirming this as the main cause of far gain. HFCs on the other hand...

18. gapjumper

Not really what I meant.

Anyway there is alot of things in our environment and food that can act as female hormones. This could contribute to altered fat storage.

19. gapjumper

Rather simplistic. Are you from the "calories are all that matter" camp?

While sweeteners are generally deemed safe, there are questions over possible effects.

As an example:

http://suewidemark.com/aspartam.htm

Though of course there are differing opinions.

20. gapjumper

Ah yes HFCS! Stuffed in lots of foods because its cheaper than sugar.

Read something a while back about how it can cause things like weight gain. And not just because of its calories. Does it make you hungry and overeat or something?