How to get fat?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CamToolin, Jun 23, 2018.

1. CamToolin

CamToolin New Member

I have been eating and eating a lot of food, but nothing is really happening. I'm still skinny. Any recommendation that can help me get some fat?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm no expert but just to help others - what are your details?

Height
    What are you eating?
    Calorie intake?
    -
    What's your workout?

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ice cream.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A) Eat more, specifically energy dense foods, or,
    B) do less.

If your already skinny, then you already probably don't eat enough, so when you increase your intake, it's unlikely to be enough to put you into calorie excess.

Milk and milkshakes (and ice cream) are an excellent way to get more calories in.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  5. David Harrison

Ice cream has like 3 or 4 times the calories of milk. I don't know if they still do, but they used to give it to people in hospital as a way to get lots of calories in people who were on a liquid diet.

Not disagreeing with your advice about milk and milkshakes, but if you want maximum calories then ice cream is the way to go.

6. David Harrison

...you should also see your doctor to make sure that you don't have some kind of digestive condition, parasite or infection that is limiting the amount of calories you get from food.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sedentary life and fast food. Also make your life a lot more stressful. That helps pack the weight on.

Why would you want to get fatter? Do you mean to ask how to put on some more muscle mass?

8. David Harrison

A bit of fat is good. I've been very underweight through disease and it gets cold!

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

#SkinnyPrivilege

Sometimes I wish I were a woman you know. Not because I'm transexual or anything, but because it would be nice to be cold all the time.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You'll not get recommendations here regarding getting fat. No-one should be looking to pack fat onto a skinny frame.

So a few questions before we go on.

Are you sleeping well? Part of your sleep pattern is for mental repair, the other part physical repair, so poor sleep means mental and physical issues.

Are you hydrated? You must remain hydrated at all times, not just before a workout.

You need to understand how many calories you take in each day against your energy expenditure.
    Before the food you take in starts adding muscle it has some other jobs to do, such as maintaining body temperature, bone and skin growth, brain function etc.

Start by keeping a diary and aim for 6 weekly checks.

Log your sleep and hydration in addition to how much you eat and your energy expended.

If you are eating 2500 calories and just maintaining weight you need to add another 500 per day.

In seven days that could be an extra pound if weight, but remember you only have to do 500 calories more of exercise and you'll be no further forward.

When I was a bodybuilder I went from 171Ib to 206 while maintaining the same waist size.

I did however have to eat every couple of hours. Sometimes packing on quality muscle is costly and a big investment in a lifestyle change.

Monkey_Magic and aaradia like this.
  11. Mushroom

I'm 94kg and about 15% body fat.... I'm freezing.

12. David Harrison

I went down to around 50kg through illness. I needed some fat.

13. Mushroom

When I got diagnosed with IBS, I went down to about 9stones. I'm about 5'11. Easy to say, I managed to pack on a few bob. Still got the IBS though...so protein shakes and milk don't really agree with me.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. David Harrison

If a person's body fat percentage is under 8% for a man, or 14% for a woman, it poses an increased health risk.

Obviously no-one should live on junk food and ice cream, and exercise and good diet should always play a part, but adding some fat is not always a bad thing.

Best advice is to see a doctor and/or nutritionist.

15. Simon

Agreed, but unless there is a medical condition I wouldn't be visiting a doctor.

With the nutritionist just check their qualifications. There is a difference (certainly in the UK) between a nutritionist and a dietician.

Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  16. David Harrison

Not being able to put on weight no matter how many calories you consume might be a sign that there is a medical condition at work. That was why I suggested it.

17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

^^ all this ^^

and why is your objective to put on fat?
    or is the objective to put on weight?
    you may well be putting on fat, and losing muscle weight at the same time if you live a sedentary life and your weight can remain much the same.

I used to be someone who could never put weight on, but I never planned to put on just fat weight.

age has changed that for me somewhat but I still am a hard gainer/ easy loser.

David Harrison likes this.
  18. Simon

Another question I'd have is why the want for the weight gain?

If it's to reach a pre-conceived idea of what you should look like then that's unhealthy.

There's so much pressure now and the power of advertising is massive.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just wait until you are over 40.
    The weight will come. :(

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Get pregnant?