How to deal with Aggressive person - So called boxer

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hatto7065, Feb 18, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I know you are looking for a response like you have gotten so far. How to physically respond to an attack. However, I want to commend you on what you actually did.

You deescalated the situation so it didn't come to a fight. You swallowed your feelings of anger and told him everything was fine, even though it wasn't.

You avoided eye contact that you felt would escalate the situation. Granted, it would be better to not look completely away, but the idea of not challenging him with a look straight in the eyes was good.

And you stayed prepared, thinking about what you could do and how to position yourself the best way possible.

In my mind, you did some great self defense there! If you want to work doors, knowing how to deescalate things to avoid as many fights as possible is going to be a good skill to have and it looks like you are off to a good start!

You did some great self defense. Pat yourself on the back for that.

One question, could you not have reported him to the bus driver as you got off the bus or called the police after you got off the bus to report this drug snorting confrontational dude?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

The thought had crossed my mind about reporting him, however this is not the first time I have witnessed people smoking or taking drugs on a bus and the last incident a guy was smoking weed and a young mum with 2 kids got on the bus and asked for some. I was shocked and angry and when I told the bus driver he simply responded with oh, well have they stopped smoking it ? and then drove away. I think the only thing a bus driver can do is ask for the person to get off and if he refuses call the police. In this incident im sure that would have tipped this nut over the edge and resulted in him attacking me and possibly the bus driver.

Thank you for your comment I believe that I did the right thing as far as not letting my temper get the better of me but part of me wishes people like that got what they deserved.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I get why maybe talking to the bus driver wouldn't work. I thought maybe as you left, but if bus drivers in your area don't do anything, what's the point?

I still wonder if you could have called the police though? After you got off the bus? Said you saw a guy doing drugs in front of children and acting agressively on "bus # and route and street"?

And maybe it is worth reporting this to the bus company. Tell them a couple of incidents, express your concern about this happening repeatedly on their busses, and with bus drives unwilling to do anything.

I dunno. Stuff like that gets to me too. I don't want to confront the person, but it seems like someone in charge should know and take responsibility for this environment.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

I understand your frustration it gets to me to, but im sure that the higher ups for the companies already know. I mean cmon the bus are supposed to be fitted with smoke alarms and many have CCTV. How can they not know ?

If I alone have witnessed at least 2 accounts of this happening then surely it must happen very often. I cant be the only one to see this sort of behaviour and attract this sort of attention :/

On another note if anybody has some links they could share regarding snap punching, boxing stance and good techniques i should practice please let me know as im finding it difficult to find credible sources on the internet

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

General Mod Reminder: Please remember that swearing masked or otherwise) is against the ToS. Thank you. :)

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Firstly, as I'm sure has been pointed out already, if you get into a boxing match with a skilled boxer, you are going to get a bad hiding. Unless you are very experienced in grappling, BJJ, don't think you are going to be able to take him to the ground without him getting a couple on you - and that's all he would need to take the wind out of you.

And if you do manage to get him to the ground, what ya gonna do then? Hold him? For how long? Don't think anyone on the bus, including the driver, will help you 'cause they wont - guaranteed.

Have you ever been badly hurt before? Nose broken? Takes the fight right out of you. All you'll remember is a tea-kettle going off and people looking at you with a mixture of horror and disdain and someone as you described isn't gonna stop because you are waving him off or are even unconscious.

Ive been boxing on and off for a while in formal classes with an excellent trainer and I know if I got into it with a ABA Championship or Golden Gloves level boxer - you can stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done for.

Forget trying to learn from the internet - it aint gonna happen. If you are serious about becoming a doorman, you most definitely need to take formal boxing lessons from a skilled trainer who knows how to teach.

End of story

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Skilled grappler or not, you are definitely going to get hit at least a few times by a skilled boxer, hopefully you can close the distance and bring it to the ground before he sparks you out, but it isn't something I would attempt unless it was really the only option left.

But really, in this case I think it was posturing by the guy, unfortunately I think when you do come up against a skilled boxer it will be when you least expect it, and you will just go 'whoopsie, probably shouldn't have done that to him' (after you wake up).

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That should be a ground rule for any fight, expect to get hit.

9. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

Coming from my Muay thai experience if I get in close range then I could deal plenty of damage that could end a fight. (I hope haha) As for a grappling point of view I would not take a sports approach to a street fight as its asking for trouble.

I respect boxers and understand how powerful they can be but I don't think they have an unbeatable system. I just think they are difficult to deal with and have a weakness just like all styles do.

I understand that this situation was perfect for close range fighting and If he was as good as he said then I would be in trouble. I just asked here for advice on how boxers would attack since I have limited experience boxing myself.

Thank you for your help so far i appreciate it :)

10. belltoller

I didn't intend to imply that a good grappler would get off scot-free against a good boxer; however, someone with a lot of mat time in various situations - e.g. a BJJ blue belt, 1st Div wrestler, etc will stand a far better chance than someone who'se had a bit of jujitsu, a bit of Muay Thai - what I gather from the OP's experience.

Furthermore, getting "hit at least a few times by a skilled boxer,..." its already over. #1 stunned badly #2 lights out.

At least that's been my most humbling experience :(

11. belltoller

How much MT exp do ya have? Sorry if you've already stated and I've overlooked it.

12. belltoller

So can he. It depends, donnit? Depends on how many nasty scraps you've each had and how willing each is willing to engage with bad intentions without fear of consequence - physically or legally. Unfortunately, as I've experienced anyroads, in the latter case, that edge almost always goes to the bad guy.

That's a big feather in your cap - knowing your limitations and respecting other's potentials. It can be the single most important 'edge' that one can possess!

13. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

Well I started around 16 with mma and muay thai and for a couple of years i directed all my training towards it. I trained twice a weak at a mma gym in my town (same place I learned bjj and JKD) and spent 6 hours on a Saturday every weekend with some friends (all 1-2 stone heavier than me) We spent most of those 6 hours sparring and racking out a few hundred kicks on the bags and thai pads.

Its been a while since i trained anywhere near the level that I did when I was younger and I spend a few hours in the gym on the bags and sparring to keep my hand in it.

I dont think im any special and certainly not to the point I could tangle with people who know what they are doing easily.

Oh in answer to something you said previously I have never had a broken nose from being punched in the face nor have I ever been knocked out that way. I have taken some kicks and elbows and received cuts and a few broken toes If i remember correctly.

thanks for the comment :)

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He's lying trying to scare you, disengage and walk away. if he gets aggressive, long thai guard whilst talking, get the clinch (your on the bus) and knee the hell out of his legs (legally its much better then the face) avoid knees to the body as their easy to grab, twist pop him in a seat and if he's still agro give him and shot or two from standing whilst he's sitting, in chimp dominance terms he should be backing down about now.

unfortunately as its on camera (still on that bus) you may well be going to court now, so during your assault make sure you verbally say things such as, calm down, I dont want to fight you etc, witnesses remember things like this.

good luck

15. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

Well I started around 16 with mma and muay thai and for a couple of years i directed all my training towards it. I trained twice a weak at a mma gym in my town (same place I learned bjj and JKD) and spent 6 hours on a Saturday every weekend with some friends (all 1-2 stone heavier than me) We spent most of those 6 hours sparring and racking out a few hundred kicks on the bags and thai pads.

Its been a while since i trained anywhere near the level that I did when I was younger and I spend a few hours in the gym on the bags and sparring to keep my hand in it.

I dont think im any special and certainly not to the point I could tangle with people who know what they are doing easily.

Oh in answer to something you said previously I have never had a broken nose from being punched in the face nor have I ever been knocked out that way. I have taken some kicks and elbows and received cuts and a few broken toes If i remember correctly.

thanks for the comment :)

16. Hatto7065

Hatto7065 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I admit I didn't think once about saying any of that I was to busy thinking about countering his attack. Thanks for the comment and Ill try to keep that in mind in the future :)

17. belltoller

You're in good company :)

18. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

if you have enough room for roundhouse kicks the a few leg kicks should do nicely to slow him down too. a lot of boxers just wont know what to do when their legs are getting obliterated.

if not, you could still use front kicks to the knee (if their knee is turned to the side at all that could be all you need) will work too.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree with you 100% there. The simple strategies are:

- don't let your boxing opponent to put weight on his leading leg.
    - leg is longer than the arm. If his punch can hit your face, your foot can reach to his knee or chest.
    - boxer may not be familiar with "how to deal with kicks".
    - try not to box a boxer.

The following partner drill can be helpful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDuztfCL8g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDuztfCL8g[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  20. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Agreed... typically people who have trained don't talk about it and wouldn't bring it up since it is their "weapon" if you will. Much of the time, the more one talks, the less he actually wants to fight. Just laugh it off... I'd let the guy hit me and he can pay all of my bills for the rest of my life :)