How to breathe while jogging?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NaziKiller, Dec 3, 2007.

1. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

So lately I've been getting my endurance up. Yay for me, running on the beach is the best thing since sliced bread. But I've always been wondering... braething in and out through my nose is easier for me, since I'm very allergic and always snotty so braething out clears the snot (disgusting I know, but it helps), but I've heard several times that I should breathe through the nose and then out through the mouth. Opinions or suggestions? Thanks.

2. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Bumpity Bump.

This is a fairly simple question, I don't understand why I'm not getting any responses after 30 viewes...

3. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

in through the nose out through the mouth is what i've always heard. keeps the lungs and sinuses moist. controls your heartbeat- which is very important. remember to do this even when doing sprints. also, try jogging 100yards, then sprint 50 and so on. this simulates the rapid change in heart rate that occurs in fighting.

4. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

breath how is natural to you.

it doesnt get any simpler than that.

5. Divine Wind

Divine Wind New Member

A good question since many of the people who I try to encourage to come jogging with me make two fundamental errors: they breath wrong and their pace is wrong. They take off like a ball of fire then peter out in 15-20 minutes. They are completely spent. I can go for over an hour at a 10 min/mile pace and 8:30 pace for 30 minutes. Not bad for an over 50, short guy.

As for the nose or mouth breathing part, that is up to you. There are good reasons for using one or the other or a combination and it varies due to the specific individual and their running conditions.

My usual method is a two-part inhale through the nose and a two-part exhale out the mouth. Whatever works for you is fine; the important part is results.

Do you develop a stitch in your side? This is from short, rapid breaths or gasping. The diaphragm is cramping up and telling you about it. Try deeper, slower, longer breaths to stretch it out. Hence, my two-part breath technique. If you prefer more parts or only one, this is fine. The key is slower, deeper breaths.

A good training pace should, IMHO, be determined by your breathing pattern. If a jogger is gasping, they are running too fast. Great if you are making that last quarter mile dash to the 5K or 10K finish line, but not so good 10 minutes into your run. The solution again is to slow down.

Like everything else we do as martial artists, focus on technique first and let the endurance, power and speed develop in its own time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Whichever way I use, whether it's the in through nose, out through mouth or just through the mouth (especially when my nose is rather blocked), I use a count of in for four, out for four. Found it's a lot easier to keep a steady pace, and calm. Good for swimming too.

7. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

If the reason you are running is training for a fight you should be breathing through your nose with your mouth shut. It's also a good idea to run with your gumshield in and your mouth shut as this gets you used to having your mouth closed and jaw slightly tensed while you are tired instead of taking big gulps of air with your mouth wide open, thus making it harder for you to get KOd