how to become tout pret for anything :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Gripfighter, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

after some delay I finally started my lifting programme this week.

this one in case you missed it http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109771

some people requested I start a log so they could see how I do on it so here it is. These are my starting weights I determined them by doing a set with an empty bar then adding 5kg and doing a set, repeating this process until my form started to falter or my reps were slowed down considerably, once this happened I did another 2 sets at that weight.

Session 1

warm up
    because its the first week I just walked on the treadmill for a few minutes.

Main lifts (all weights include the bar).

Power Clean 35kg 3x3
    Deadlift 50kg 3x5
    Overhead Press 35kg 3x5

Accessory work

Kettle bell swings 3 choppy sets of 10 reps but it was more like 5 reset then 5 as I struggled with form a bit, the first one would be really good then with every rep my hips would be bending less and my arms would be dragging me down more. Almost like my arms were going to fast for my hips, the first thing that springs to mind with that is using to light a weight but it was a 16kg kettle bell.

unweighed pull ups 3 sets, first one chin up grip for 10 reps, 2nd pull up grip for 6 reps, 3rd mixed grip I managed 4 reps lol.

Session 2

Warm up
    5 minutes on the bike, 2 sets with the empty bar then 1 set each with 40%,60% and 80% of the working set weight for the power clean, the other two main lifts I just used the same method as the first session to determine starting weights.

Main Lifts

Power Clean 40kg 3x3
    Squat 45kg 3x5
    Bench Press 45kg 3x5

Accessory Work

One arm Dumbell row 16kg 2x10 each side, Felt like I really nailed these form wise really felt them hitting my lat muscles.

Turkish Get up, the downside of nailing the rows was that I only managed a measly 2 each side turkish get ups with a 16kg kettle bell.

So Im pretty happy with those starting numbers and managing to progress weight with the power clean, I did a lot of broomstick work to get the technique for it down, still got some learning to do but its no were near as scary once you get into it and is really fun, its a very intimidating exercise at first though but its worth it just to watch all the idiots you get down the gym gawking when you start doing them, like you have brought a dog into the gym or something. The only problem Im having is with the accessory work, as you can see on both days I was buggered by the time I got to the last exercise, So I may just cut down to 1 accessory exercise per session and rotate bi-weekly between the 4 that are in the programme just now.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012