How to avoid bashing your toes when you kick?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Archibald, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hi everyone,

I train in Ju jutsu, but when I was in thailand last year and managed to sneak away for a couple of thai boxing lessons.

Thouroughly enjoying them aside, I have a question about the classic low round kick. I've thrown a few here and there at jj practice, but invariably end up bashing my toes on my partners leg because they shift back as I throw the kick.

Now obviously I'm pretty rubbish at them, so that's going to be a key factor, but I was wondering if there are any tips on when/how to throw them?

I tend to use them what we'd call kicking distance in the japanese martial arts (one good step away from striking range) - maybe thai kicking distance is closer?

I'm not trying to 'incorporate' these kicks into my training after only 3 lessons in them, this is mainly a point of interest. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

In thai you can throw ALL techniques from the same distance. You should be close enough to punch if you want to throw any of the techniques correctly.

3. Osu,

From what I understand, you are trying to shin kick with your toes... :eek:
    I think Southpaw??? has opened another thread recently that deals with the subject.

It is mostly a matter of distancing. :)

Osu!

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Haha not quite...

I'm aiming with my shin but my partner always shifts backwards hence I end up hitting with my toes. As I said a lot of it is probably down to me not knowing when to throw it.

But the comments on distancing make a lot of sense. We usually strike with the ball of our foot hence kicking distances is different from punching distance.

Thanks for the reply guys

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

If he's constantly moving back when you kick then use some "trick" kicks. My favorite is to fake a rear roundhouse then raise the leg and teep with it. Catches them off guard and you're in position to throw anything you want.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'd venture to say range is probably what's giving you the problem as already mentioned. Since you're kicking with the shin you're typically much closer than you're used to, so that's probably a factor. It will still happen from time to time as that's the nature of the beast, but the better you get at it the less often that will be.

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hi guys, thanks again for the responses.

Just got back from training, this time I made sure I was closer and my partner was already moving forward. Landed a couple of good ones :)