How to add power to your kicks?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good to see that Rob Kaman uses the straight right counter to a low kick at 2:40 of that highlight vid.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sod the alignment I'm checking out the luxuriant barnet up top. :)

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A distant memory.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Loves me some low kick gifness.

Thiago Alves landing a monster. He seem to be stepping and setting (like Bas) rather than pivoting.

[​IMG]

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Both of these are absolutely key IMO.

Mitch

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That gif makes me cringe.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Keep constantly polishing your technique.

Kick the heavy bag a lot, and often. Same goes for shin conditioning.

If you can, drop the money for a few private lessons from a credible Muay Thai instructor who can help you with your kicks.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I've been looking around for a while, but haven't managed to find anyone local yet. I might call a few places and see if they know anyone closer, maybe someone teaches privately or something.

10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Nice definitions of movement. The 4 main variations that I can think of in Thai, Burmese etc Arts in terms of FOOT PLACEMENT are (with or without movement):

Flat of Foot Pointed to Where You Want your Power To Go (As liked best by MMA fighters because they don't need to pivot - See Bas Rutten clip) With or without a Step. Turn foot out to the angle you want the power to go and firmly plant it.

Can be more of a Cut Kick/ Angle kick (45 degrees) . Or done as La Bas was doing them with full hip 'turnover'. Keep weight over your supporting leg.

Flat of the Foot Placement Then A Pivot - Usually going through a 180 degree motion. Used more in Muay Chiaya and Muay Korat etc.

Also really useful for throwing up-down ^ shape roundhouses from a neutral 'conversational' stance (ala Ling Lom). Keep weight over your supporting leg.

Particularly useful for setting up the back kick/ mule kick to follow.

'Spring' or Pushing Step (As shown in The 3 Strides Walk)

The rear foot comes forward up and over from a 90 degree Shin ride or block and you plant it firmly into the deck along the same line as your connected hip.

You then Drive off that foot/leg. And throw the now rear kick through and over to tap / create a lot of Torque.

Step and push against the ground with your Supporting Leg (you will naturally grind against the floor and your foot will move, pivot through that grind)

4 th one I'll use PA Smith's Definition as "Sprint" or "Soccer Goalie" Kick (as my first Muay instructor used to called it).

Used a lot in 'Ler Drit' (now mostly known as Military Muay Thai but a legit system in itself).

Sometimes a big step as opposed to a run (a bigger version of The Spring or Pushing Step) and there's a 'Crash In'. All your weight 'falls' or 'drops' onto what it hits. NOT a jumping Roundhouse.

OP - Start with the Flat of Foot version. Start with the Step. And then work towards being able to do this w/o the step from the spot (the Bas clip shows you how in the later stages).

The detailed 2, 3, and 4 require more skill.

Practice opening out your hips by kicking slowly over a chair or pole. Yes even for low kicks.

Start by doing this with your knee bent as if you were throwing an up and over knee ^ and trying to hit with the point of said knee.

Then allow your leg to extent into a kick once you got the movement right. Drive through the target.

Shin conditioning is a matter of increasing the density of those bones. And not just 'deadening' the nerves.

Start with bags, pads and a a good quality liniment like Wood Lock (Wong To Yick) for at least the first 100 training sessions. After that you can think about easing yourself into tapping, rolling and eventually bashing your shins - commonsense must prevail.

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I actually was looking around today and managed to find a place that is pretty local to me that teaches Muay Thai... of course I would have to go to the place and see if they are actually good instructors, but if so, I might do it just to add more to my routine.

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Thanks for sharing. :) I'll use it in training. In practice, doesn't stepping like that "broadcast" to the opponent that the kick is coming though?

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not if you set it up correctly.

Take a look at his video from about 1.30. Here I "sell" the rear cross, but it's not that move I want to hit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsS8bbDW_Rw"]Progressive Indirect Attack - YouTube[/ame]

A similar set up can be used for the kick.

It looks like you can spot it coming when viewed in isolation, but the reality is somewhat different.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

this..... ive seen people teach it with a step and pivot or stepping straight into the turn, but as you say the main take home point is to step past and off the line, it gives more power, not to mention takes you off the line of his punches

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Stepping diagonally forward is simply the best way to add power to your kicks.

Pivoting is less detectable and makes it easier to do high kicks, but stepping generates a lot more power because you get more leverage.

The thing to note is that like Bas Rutten said in his video, the whole thing has to flow. From the moment you step, you're already turning your hips and shifting your weight forward. Most people lean back when they do a step kick, but you should actually shift your weight forward and put the entirety of your weight into the kick. Another thing to note is that this way of kicking can easily cause you to snap your shin if you get checked by the other guy and your shins haven't been properly conditioned.

And the step is the most important part of the whole thing. It's not supposed to be some lame step you do just to get the proper angle. You step in like you're trying set a world record for the fastest step in history. I'm not even joking, I'm dead serious. That step makes the whole kick. Just try it. Step in diagonally from your stance as fast as you possibly can and turn your hips during your step in. You don't even need to finish the kick to see what I mean.

That being said, I pivot. I do karate and I don't really condition my shins, so there would never be a reason for me to use it, but I understand the principle of the technique just fine.

For some applications of kicking and to copy proper movements visually, this guy is another legend you'd want to take kicking advice from.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wVvqSM8dA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wVvqSM8dA[/ame]

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

This post from ap Oweyn is a key observation. There are many structures and methods for generating power. The step forward being one of the powerful methods. Also pointed out is that the step is hard to get down... this is because stepping and hitting takes good timing. Unless you have or have developed great timing, any technique that uses a bigger step for power will be very difficult to use against a mobile and skilled opponent.

We know that there are many combinations of methods for generating power. These include: stepping forward, leaning (gravity), weight shifting, springing (using the upward lifting power/spring of the legs and hips), rotation (hip and shoulder rotation, pivoting), and using the force generated by the opponents movements.

Stepping forward 45 degrees and delivering the muay thai round kick can generate good power with very limited hip rotation. The kick comes from the ground and drives up at 45 degrees. Using the spring of the supporting leg adds to the power. If one even needs more power, the hand on the same side of the kicking leg can be whipped back in the opposite direction (but this is not a good habit, unless you need the power).

Alternatively, one can use more hip and shoulder rotation to add power by turning the hips over. It can be like Bas' kick with the supporting foot turned out or as many Thai boxers are taught, you go on your toes for the most hip rotation... you need very strong toes to have a strong kick using this method. The disadvantage is that if you miss, you end up presenting your back to your opponent.

---------

Structure is not addressed directly in this thread but I will add... Structures that use relaxation, correct pivot points, and sharper triangles can deliver the most power into a target because they allow for the least amount of "bounce" back into you. We know that the force into the target also creates an equal force in the opposite direction. Good structure takes the force that is in the opposite direction and feeds it back into the target instead of "bouncing" you away or driving the force back into you in the form of self injury.

Last edited: May 15, 2013