How the techniques of Kali / Eskrima are applied in empty hand fighting

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Manila-X, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

The misconception of Filipino martial arts is the idea being a weapon based martial art.

In reality, it is a complete system and it's techniques and movements can be applied with or without weapons. The fact you are taught that the weapon is an extension of you hand.

Some examples of empty hand applications. And what makes it really nice are the combination attacks and grappling movements.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoKEHiCUKEE"]Kali Empty Hand Techniques Based on the Blade - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv29Elv9oDw"]Kali Empty Hands : Rapido Realismo Kali - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co-YlLm0EvA"]Kali Empty Hand Bridging Techniques - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You won't have any trouble finding people to agree with this post. Do you practice a Filipino martial art then? I thought you were doing kyokushin.

Welcome to MAP by the way.

3. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I'm about to practice FMA pref Kali / Escrima. The only thing is I'm trying to find a nice school that is within my area either near my home or near my design studio.

Yes I'm currently practicing Kyokushin at the moment though it doesn't mean I can also learn other styles.

Though I find it important to learn FMA as well since I'm Pinoy and this is our country's fighting arts.

Plus I like the moves and techniques that it applies.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, it certainly doesn't mean you can't learn other things. Don't worry. I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I hope you're able to find a school you're happy with, Manila-X. Certainly, FMA has plenty to offer. And the cultural connection you have with it is a nice incentive as well.

5. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

As long as I can find a decent schedule since I have my design business, plus family since I have my wife and 2 kids.

But most likely I be attending only 1 session for FMA and still attend the 2 sessions for Kyokushin.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

You can try contacting Guro Abon for RRK. Where are you exactly and I'll try to hook you up.

7. shootodog

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Who do you train with Shootodog?

Just curious!

9. shootodog

The last teacher i had was roland isla of kali de leon - isla mandirigma kali.

Who do you train under? System? Guro?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Bozza Bostik

I'm with Jay Dobrin's B.I.F.F. I train with a guy called Kaj Westersund in Finland. We also have Pekiti-Tirsia in the club. I'd like to try that in a couple of years.

We are heading way off topic...I was actually looking for TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) jobs in the Philippines. Not much luck though. I was hoping to get there and train for a year or so. I need some sun too! :)

11. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

English is widely spoken in The Philippines though such is still needed since there are many Koreans here that want to learn English plus those who will be working in call centres or BPO related industries that want to enchance in this language.

Anyway, I'm going to check out Pekiti-Tirsia since the location is favorable that fact it's located downtown!

12. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, I heard there wasn't a huge market and it was quite hard to get work there. A lot of the language schools are actually employing Koreans to teach the Koreans...or so I heard. I think people have had problems with getting work permits too. It didn't look good, so I gave up researchin'.

PT-kali looks like a lot of fun...but all FMA are a lot of fun!! Let us know how you get on!

13. shootodog

Who's teaching ptk in Makati? Jasper or Romel?

14. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I don't know yet cause I haven't given them a call nor have checked the place out!

15. shootodog

maybe one of the pitbulls like buddy. anyway sorry for the ot. i posted quite a bit about filipino empty hands including vids somewhere here. feel free to search for them.

16. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I know several instructors of Dekiti Tirsia and other systems of eskrima in Manila.. If you are interested in getting in touch with them,

17. shootodog

GM Nene?

18. shootodog

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You need what is known as a fixer. Don't expect a good rate of pay it will be enough to survive on but then you get to train. I'm sure one of the Pinoy's here would be able to point you in the right direction of a good fixer ;)