How pressure points work

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KidCanFight, Jul 28, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

2. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

They don't? :Angel: :D

4. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

as willy nelson would say, don't knock it till you try it.

they have healing purposes but also fighting. in fighting your causing negative damage to the pressure point, usually disrupting the energy flow in the area that effects the organ or effects the region or muscle or body part.

i know they exhist because i use them on people and they hate it when i tough their pressure points. you would be amazed on how little of a strike can hurt hehe.

random helpful posts from searching: (dim mak as well)
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13881

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36474&highlight=pressure+point

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12678&highlight=pressure+point

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

pressure points are deadly so long as you dont try them on fox news reporters or anyone approaching any level of fitness

6. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

pressure points are an asset. lets not debate if they are one hit kills. if they are, its very complex. theoretically it would take memorizing the season, time of day, the sensitive organ in this period, the pressure point to cause the pain and you would have to have iron palm training to strike hard enough and qigong to be able to disrupt their chi lol.

however, you can use the general knowledge on pressure points as "sensitive spots" or "targets". i have a few spots that are on my centerline for my punches that i make targets for when i strike. i know several points for accupressure healing, but the ones i use for striking are less wide of a range (two on the hand, 2 on the leg, 2 on the chest i use and a few above the neck to the head). i dont' want to mind boggle myself with 80 points hehe.

accupressure:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133&highlight=accupressure

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

8. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Holocaust,

My first question to you would be, what art do you study. If you train in an art that does not focus on pressure points, I would not worry about it. Unless your just asking out of general interest. Pressure points is a very intricate, difficult, system to understand. But I will give you some basics. Pressure points DO work. If someone says they don't work on them, than who ever was doing it wasen't doing it right. It is anatomy, and Physiology. Everyone has them. Now with that said, some peoples body structures do make it more difficult, but it does not mean they don't work period. People with alot of muscle mass are actually easier to use pressure points on. The reason is because the 3 main places where pressure points are is in the belly of a muscle, between the tendant and the muscle, and between the ligament and the bone.Since the belly of a muscle is a prime spot, people that have bigger, more defined muscles are easier to use pressure points on. Because by building the muscle, the pressure points get pushed closer to the surface of the skin. This is why in actuallity, people that have lots of fat, and hardly no muscle tone are actually the hardest to use pressure points on. It does not mean they won't, but they have to be applied in a little bit of a different way. The 3 main ways pressure points are activated are rubbing, striking, or pushing. There are however certain parts of the body where all 3 of these applications can be used. These are refered to as "triple burner" meridians. Some pressure points are only activated by one type of application, such as one of the 3 I listed. There is much, much more I could go into, but I just wanted to get the basics to you. Like I said, if your art does not use them, I would not focus on it too much. If it does, your instructor should know how they work and can explain how they work. However with that said, there are alot of instructors out there that might know where the pressure points are, but don't know what they do, or how it effects the body. You have to be very cautious about people like this. If your really interested in learning more about them, wait until you finish highschool, and then go to a good college to study those specific areas. Take care.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Just to remind everyone, Holocaust asked for an explaination - not an opinion. It might be fair for him to actually establish his own opinion. He's fourteen - not stupid!

As a suggestion Holocaust, please check out literature in your local library and speak to your Instructor who may be able to provide further guidance (if you have one!)

10. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Here's a good book that explains it from a western scientific perspective: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...r=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_ur_2_1/102-6187651-9318550 the author is D.O. and the book is interesting. That being said, I've had people try to manipulate my pressure points, it didn't work. And if it requires so much training, by ascended masters, what's the point? Pressure points are well known in the west and are used in boxing and wrestling. The crossface in wrestling and the flash ko in box (caused by a punch landing behind the ear) are two examples.

Tyson used a pressure point strike to defeat Michael Spinks (it wasn't a pressure point ko though). Tyson drew Spinks right by dropping his left. As the right came in Tyson slams his left forearm (using full body momentum) into Spinks incoming right arm (this can do all kinds of damage, dislocate a shoulder, paralyze an arm) this puts Tysons weakside forward and his right chambered. In this case the strike brought Spins forward into Tysons now incoming right resulting in a ko. Mickey Ward won by ko by punching to the liver as did Hopkins against de LaHoya. IMHO pressure points are more useful in a grappling situation.

11. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Ocianain,

That being said, I've had people try to manipulate my pressure points, it didn't work. And if it requires so much training, by ascended masters, what's the point?

It requires so much training because it is a field of medicine like any other, if not more so than others. You can't become a brain surgeon in 3 years right? so why would learning pressure points/Anatomy be any different? That's why I was saying that if the art Holocaust studies does not require so much to learn them, than to not worry about them so much and just focus on what art they are learning. It's a complicated system, I myself have alot of years ahead of me to learn it. But IMHO they do work, and work well on bigger people. I have one student who is 6'4, about 230 solid muscle, he's an LEO. He is ver, very suceptable to pressure point application.

12. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Hmm.. interesting read. In a nutshell: Think of the nervous system as an intricate electrical system like the one in the newer model cars. In those systems there are sensors and actuators. The sensors read input and send electrical signals to actuators to cause changes in vehicle operation. For example the oxygen sensor may read very high and cause the fuel system to richen the mix or fool the engine timing to keep the engine running properly.

Now what if we plugged into that system and sent a fake reading or interupted the natural signaling that's occurring? To much fuel or too little, either way the result is you have to restart the car because the engine stalls.

13. ManabiMashoMan

ManabiMashoMan Banned Banned

ANSWER. Ok allow me to introduce myself first, I am a Instructor and student directly studying under Grandmaster John H. Casarez who is famous for his pressure point demonstrations. I know what I am talking about and I read some smart mouth on here say that pressure points don't work, which is like saying that bullets can't kill people.

Pressure points are termed as Points in the body that give off negative effects to the body when applied pressure, or pinches or hits are applied to that point. This can be Blood Vessels in large groups like the ones directly under your eye sockets,It can be Veins or Arteries that you can attack. It can be nerve endings that seem to just be very sensitive like the funny bone near your elbow or it can be lyph nodes which I believe control the flow of white blood cells, and an output of sugar to the body.

The problem with Pressure points is that every school claims to teach them when they don't. I laugh when I see a Karate school point at the temple of the head and demonstrate doing a very hard backfist to a persons temple and they describe it as "A pressure point". A true pressure point is when someone grabs, stricks, or touches you lightly and you can't move, pass out, urinate all over yourself, can't breathe, get dizzy, or it feels like 50,000 volts of electricity ran through you.

I am still learning the pressure points and I am not sure of exactly how many there are because my Grandmaster teaches us them as we go and I know for a fact he holds some back for the top dogs in the ranking system. But I can for sure garentee I know about 25 that are super effective and my friends are always asking me to demonstrate them in good fun they time as much time to master how to properly create pain as you would learn any other advanced semi difficult technique.

IMPORTANT!!! Also all that information about certain times of days, and where to hit a person and with a certain type of attack aka needlefinger, swordhand, backfist, that is all made up in case your Grandmasters who know actual Pressure points didn't already tell you. IT is a trick that keeps immature and bad people from learning the technique. Another sly trick that is also highly taught is teaching a combination of attacks on a person which in truth only one you do is the proper pressure point attack to harm that person, This is also to keep certain People from learning the proper way.

I have the great privelage of working with alot of 10th degree black belts in various styles and I got in good enough with a few Grandmasters to tell me lil secrets they teach thier students that are absolute B.S. At first I didn't understand why, but our school has had two teenagers go to prison and be tried as adults for killing people and after that Our Grandmaster rethought what he would show some people. For now only the serious adults learn stuff.

I hope that helps clear you up, and there are some people who for some reason 1 pressure point may not effect them for some reason, but that's when you just move to another and watch them squeel like a baby.

www.manabimasho.com

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  14. ManabiMashoMan

I would love to show you a demonstration anyday

This reminds me of the time that this big red neck came to a demonstration and laughed and shouted to the crowd that my Grandmaster was full of crap about Pressure points. It was embarrasing and it shamed my Grandmaster, so the Guy (A redneck who probably only fought in druken bars) Gladly comes up to show the crowd that pressure points don't work. My Grandmaster touches the guy and says does that hurt. The guy laughs and replies "no" and then everyone started laughing. My Grandmaster sat down and pointed at him and said then why are you peeing on yourself, and the guys pants were completly wet. Emptying out his bladder was like peeing 2-3 times in a row alot. The guy left the stage very shocked and Grandmaster Casarez got back up and said, "The only way to show a smartmouth is sometimes to act like one" and yes this is a true story and I know the proper application for emptying ones bowls out and bladder and part of our training is if your going to learn it you must do it and have it done to you. Needless to say I wore shorts

BaiKaiGuy I would gladly love to show you a demonstration of how pressure points work and how effective, of course in a friendly way. You can attack and spar with me full contact how ever you want and I will only dodge and use pressure points on you I won't kick, punch, grapple, choke, aim for nuts, eye gouge, pull hair, bone breaks, any form of joint locks, or unbalance you. I am serious.

WWW.ManabiMasho.com Go to special thanks page1 to find the area to speak to email and email your dojo and the Grandmaster and myself will come visit you. We Travel all around and I am not trying to be mean I am not trying to challenge you, I am just wanting to open your eyes, but yes that above paragraph was serious.

ManabiMashoMan

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Is it just me or was that post basically

"Im gonna come to your house and give you teh bash! losar!"

What do you think of Dillmans pressure point system Manabi?

16. ManabiMashoMan

LOL im sorry if i came off mean and nasty. I go around all over and have to put with students and Masters saying that stuff untill we eventually get there. But as far as Dillmans pressure point system I have no idea what your speaking about. I try to stay out of all those videos and crap, I have like $9000 some dollars in Panther videos and they = nothing in my opinon.

But there are way to many masters and grandmasters out there that teach "stuff" and they label it as a pressure point and that is what makes them look bad.

Then there is the masters or Grandmasters who know thier stuff and they hide it behind lore and nonsense so that they could demonstrate it works, but give an excuse on why they wont teach it to everyone. My Grandmaster just plain out says this is what I can do and NO I won't teach you till I think you have deserved it. Which I respect that alot

Oh and link me a website about Dillmans approach on PP please so i can look it over.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Do one better, ManabiMashoMan. Do another demo, with none of your own students, and post it here. This way EVERYONE can see.

18. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

bai kai guy... thats a good idea.

i see pressure points less lethal then people make them out to be and more useful then people want to accept them.

look at the pic below at points:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/images/acupuncture/spleen_2_sm.jpg

I forget which one it is of the two, i think its 21

Find the pressure point by pressing firmly until you find an area that "stings" differently then normal. i think its 3 fingers (wide not long) from your nipple and about the same leangth down (might be 17) . it works on both sides....

1. have the student hold their arms out like a letter T, or if they were flying
    2. tell them you are going to push their arm down and you want them to resist you and have them push up. (they will be able to resist, unless your severly more powerful)
    3. now, press the pressure point (i believe 21). use 1-2 fingers. find the point (ask them if it stings or when it feels different if you cant find it)
    4. now repeat step 2, this time you will be able to push thier arm down even if they try resisting

application:
    if you use this spot as your target for striking (expecially with wing chun chain punches that are quick and repetetitive), it should cause pain to this location. the pain will disrupt and cause the same effect as step 2. this makes their arm useless for a short moment of time (at least 5 seconds, i do not remeber the exact times hehe). in short, it either makes thier arm harder to use, more painful to use, or weaker in power.

at the same time, notice the sharp pain when touching the pressure point? since its a tender spot, it causes more pain to the area (at least feels like its more). so it does have a disruptitive effect.

if someone can find a pic of a basic wing chun excercize against a round punch, it would demonstrate maybe how this is performed. (block round house with tan sao, which opens thier chest for chain punching. if you hit the sensitive spot, you can make yourself a 2-3 second time to punch while you only defend against the arm you didnt effect. since you stepped to the side you did effect, hopefully you created some distance for yourself.

this is just how it can be used in wing chun. even if you dont believe in chi or pressure points, you have to believe thier are sensitive parts on the body (balls, penis, eyes, throat) and that thier are other sensitive parts, even if they are so only slightly.

19. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

My take on pressure points is that they do work (not sure everything is true but have seen some impressive demonstration), but they are not effective.

Have practiced in class a couple of times at summer camp (not part of normal training but doing something different), tried to do one using points on inside and outside of wrist and root of tricep. Very few people (if any) could get it to work, I was very sceptical. The instructor then came to the group I was in and demonstrated it on me, not sure what happened but legsbuckled under me. However i had had to stand there with my arm out and let him do it, if it had been for real he would never have been able to do it.

I want to add that this was an extra fun bit of a class to just show us a few things and is the only time I've done pressure points.

SO the only person who could really do it was the instructor, and only if you let him, so while it may work I think its fairly useless as a self defense tool.

20. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

some pressure points are more practical then others:)

also, if they do iron palm training, iron body training or get hit from sparring in alot of sensitive areas, this can help to make them more immune to being struck in these regions. many people train and hit themselves lol in the sensitive spots to toughen them up (maybe they hurt themselves more??)