How old were you when you started martial arts and what style

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jfleshner, Jan 2, 2009.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Taekwondo - 6 did it for a year.
    Shaolin Wushu - 12 trained with a cousin who had studied the art for about 2 years, not an official instructor , so don't know if it counts.

Kyokushin karate - 21 been at it for about a year and loving it =D

2. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

cant say much for history as i only been doing it 3 - 4 months, so lol started 16, been doing it for 3-4 months, now be 16 hahaha

3. andell

andell Valued Member

I first started karate at around 14 around 1975,did not last long,same thing again at
    aroud 18.I starting training again not long before i turned 47,i recently turned 50 and train in karate 2 nights a week.

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Humm,

10-18 Fencing, then got slobbish and lazy, a brief patch of Capoeira when I was 23, then Muay Thai a year ago, which am still doing alongside Arnis, which I started around 6 months ago.

5. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Wah Lum Pai (a Northern Preying Mantis style) at about 14 or so until I was 22.
    (This also included Chen style taijiquan)

then I moved house...

Sil Lum Pai for about a year or so at the age of 26.
    A little judo and aikido around the same time (25-27 years old).

then I moved house, kids were born, etc...

I just started Wing Chun six months ago, and I'm about to turn 46.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Started aikido and taekwondo two years ago at 27. I've lost my source of free taekwondo, and I miss it a lot.

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Started at age 14 in Shotokan which I trained up to 1st Dan leaving as I started cross training Ju-Jitsu and the stances, Rigidity and forward/backwards momentum of the art were in conflict with the circular and flowing movements in Ju-jitsu so it was time to move on. Still admire Shotokan for its adherance to basics which they do very well. I found I like flowing, circular arts better.
    I have also studyed Jow Gar Kuen - 4 years Brown Sash, Wing Chun - 1 year, Muay Thai/MMA - 3 years, Urban Krav Maga/CKM 3 years, also had exposure to Aikido, Hontai Yoshin Ryu but not enough to claim study. Currently studying Kempo Ju-jitsu.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Started Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu at 22, late bloomer. 18 years, I have in the meantime gone independent of that system and sought some other instruction. But maintained the same style of art.

9. UechiWillam

UechiWillam Valued Member

19 - Uechi-Ryu Karate. Haven't stopped yet.

I was lucky enough to do a few months of Kempo Karate when I was about 12 . . until we moved.

10. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I started training in Chow Gar when I was 9 until I was 14.

Started Shukokai Karate when I was 14 and still enjoying it 27 years later!

11. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I started with a Ninjutsu based independent at 19 for 2 years. Then I studied Jukite Ju-Jitsu at 29 for 9 years (reached Nidan). Started Aikido at 39, I have only been going for a month so far, but I am really liking it.

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

TKD 7-12
    Go Kan Ryu couple of months when I was 13.
    On and off Kickboxing, Boxing 13 - 15.

DSD Kung Fu 15-17/18
    Since and until now. Muay Thai, BJJ, and whatever I can find where my travels take me. (Does the fencing club at Uni count?)

13. G50

G50 Night Owl

TKD/HKD - 8 Years Old

Due to an age limit for HKD when I switched schools the 1st time, I had to hold off on continuing HKD until I was 18.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

TKD 15
    CLF 17

15. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

I was 19 and in the Air Force 1971. TKD.

16. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

14 years old with judo.Then around 19 karate.I stoped martial arts for 14 years.When I was 38 years old I got back to karate.After a nice experience on KravMaga and a revival on judo technics I gave up karate and judo and now I practise Brazilian jiujitsu and MuayThai (Thai boxing).I am 56 years old now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  17. watts

watts Valued Member

First martial art was Judo when I was about 12, kept it up for about a year then stopped for two decades, but did other martial arts inbetween, have now gone full circle back to Judo though.

18. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

8 when I started Shotokan, through to 14. Then kickboxing to 18, then oJKD to 20, then Wing Chun to 22. Did a Shaolin Hung style after that for a while.

Doing TCC and BJJ these days, with a little boxing thrown in. I'm mid-30s.

EDIT: I did 6 months of Silat/FMA at a McDojo but we don't count that...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  19. el murcielago

el murcielago Valued Member

I began very late... I started Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu with the age of 28.

Before that I played table-tennis for 20 years.

20. BradMM

BradMM New Member

28 is late? I just started at 58!!!