How old were you when you started martial arts and what style

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jfleshner, Jan 2, 2009.

1. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Tai Chi around 13/14. Had a couple karate classes before but it wasn't really a committed thing.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Technically i started Shotokan Karate first, when i was five or six (i can't exactly remember but it was either just before or just after my sixth birthday), but i migrated over to the adjacent boxing gym after four lessons, and stayed there for pretty much the next decade.

3. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

When I was 4 years old, In Tae Kwon Do.
    I was 18 when I completed Combatives Training and Certification.
    I was 21 when I completed Law Enforcement academy and Defensive Tactics Instructor certification.

Actually, I just retired as a Tae Kwon Do Instructor this week after 25 years of Tae Kwon Do and Teaching Tae Kwon Do.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. Ulsteryank

Ulsteryank Valued Member

I started in TKD at the age of 6. After I got my black belt switched to a ****o-ryu Karate dojo that also did Kickboxing.

I quit all of that in high school, where I wrestled, and it wasn't til about 25 that I reconnected with martial arts, more on the MMA side, but I keep those traditional elements I was familiar with by also training in Tai Jutsu and BJJ on their own on the side.

5. ibeatbrucelee

ibeatbrucelee New Member

Karate around 6 years old. Had a couple years of karate classes then moved to boxing.

6. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Awesome name!! "Ibeatbrucelee"

7. roblen

roblen Valued Member

14 karate, 15 kung fu (6 years) year off the jkd for yonks for about 10 years, then 5 years (started late 30's by now) with BJJ, 2 years off (osetoarthritis and an expensive dentist) now starting wing chun

oh yeah, various forms of Kali for about the last 10 years.

i must be mad....

8. RidiculousName

RidiculousName Valued Member

I was maybe nine or ten when I took a karate class at the Y. I quit in a month and a half and rejoined eleven years later. Then I quit because it wasn't convenient, and rejoined again three years later because it became convenient. I was twenty four when I joined for the "hopefully" last time. I've practiced for two years now.

9. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Wado Ryu Karate at age 46 - no previous MA experience or experience of anything remotely similar.

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

12 I think, Isshin-Ryu Karate did that for 3/4 years, then quit because of high school distractions.

Did a year of Goju-Ryu Karate in college, quit because of college distractions.

Started when I was 24 in Kajukenbo and have been in ever since, I'm 43 now.

11. TheSledgehammer

TheSledgehammer New Member

I was about 8, and I learned Chugoku Kenpo Karate, unarmed and how to use a staff. Read a lot about Jeet Kun Do as well, which is a style all about learning to adapt in other styles, so I gained at least the principles of it. Reading Bruce Lee books in elementary school was a lot more fun than reading bad choose your own adventure books :p

Next time I did anything official was in 2006 I started training in Hung Gar which I still do ever week if I can, and in 2008 I started Chen style Tai Chi, which I took for 5-6 years, and stopped because of various reasons, but I still always practice Tai Chi.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  12. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Bujinkan taijutsu - 17 years old

13. Flane

Flane New Member

My Father started me in Martial Arts games at age 3, I was promoted to Shodan at age 11, I have been doing martial arts for 61 years Feb 14th.

14. Dr Anthony

Dr Anthony New Member

12 TKD
    18 Muay Thia
    22 Bujinkan
    22 Jui Jitsu

Had a few years away and now training Krav Maga, Bujinkan, Aikido and Muay Thia

15. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Choy Li Fut Kung Fu at aged 13.
    MMA and Kickboxing at aged 31 (I think).

However, throughout all that time and prior, and present, I've done "Movie Fu" when no one is looking. :D

16. Rambo

Rambo New Member

beginning of 13th year and with Butthan martial art.

17. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

35. Lau Gar (UK made up mish mash) then Chow Gar SPM at 40.

18. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

10 - American Karate
    15 - Isshin-ryu Karate
    18 - Kuk Sool Won
    34 - Tae Kwon Do
    35 to current - BJJ

19. Swordschamp11

Swordschamp11 New Member

I started Kuk Sool won when i was 6 i have been in it for 10 years and reached the level of 2nd dahn

20. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think I was about 13 when I took up Judo at the local YMCA in the 70s.