How much You squat?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD_forever, Dec 13, 2004.

?

How much can You SQUAT?

1. < 100 lb -.....

10.1%
  2. 100 lb - 150 lb

9.1%
  3. 151 lb - 190 lb

13.1%
  4. 191 lb - 230 lb

19.2%
  5. 231 lb - 270 lb

14.1%
  6. 271 lb - 310 lb

6.1%
  7. 311 lb - 350 lb

7.1%
  8. 351 lb - 390 lb

4.0%
  9. 391 lb - 430 lb

7.1%
  10. > 431 lb - WOOHOOO!! I'm a beast

10.1%
  1. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

grab an ecto and meso, i.e you and ronnie coleman both before you started training, you both put the same amount in to training, dieting etc, come two years, hell be twize as big and strong as you, thats called genetics

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

That's the thing though. Some people need to work harder to achieve results. Others can get tremendous results from minimal effort. In this case, you can't compare apples to apples. Blame muscle fiber breakdown, genetics, blame-your-parents syndrome, whatever. The bottom line is if you want to reach your goal (whatever it is), you'll do everything in your power, and then some, to get there.

3. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

yes but me and you could never get as big as ronnie, i know people who must be on twice as much as he is on and arent even half his side

i agree, dont let your genetics stopp you reaching your goal, but if your an ecto dont expect to be the next mr olympia

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

btw when i said that example, i meant they both train to there max potential

5. Maverick

Maverick New Member

If anything, genetics are underrated. Ghost, you may be 141lb now, after 2 years of training, but that's still about 30lbs less than the average male, that's genetics for you.

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

We all possess a gene called myostatin that controls how large our muscles can become. This is because our body wants the most strength for the least amount of size increase, because more strength with less mass is more efficient. About one out of 5 million people possess a mutation which deletes the myostatin gene and allows unregulated muscle growth in response to exercise .These people are already very muscular before they lift a weight. The average person, however, has a very high level of myostatin expression and will never become bulky or over-muscular no matter how hard they try.

7. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

My whole point (which someone said before) was that genetics seem to be peoples' excuses for not living up to their potential, and a lot of people get discouraged by it (including me at one point). Comparing me to Ronnie Coleman is probably an extreme, but I do see your point. Yes genetics play a role, but still, a lot of people are no where near their genetic limitations. We can't ignore science (in this case, genetics), but we can always strive towards a goal, whether it's to be smarter, stronger, faster, etc. And besides, aren't boundaries meant to be pushed and tweaked? :Angel:

Maverick- I know, I think I am (or was) medically considered "underweight" (less so than before, but still...lol!) O well, I'm 16, so I got some time to pack on the meat!

Sooooo....anyone have any tips besides "eat, squat, deadlift, bench, sleep, etc." to pack on some mass for a skinny, underweight, genetically disadvantaged kid? :D :Angel:

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Excatly. You'll never be as big as you could be. So stop worrying about it, and go train. Everyone can improve, so saying "i could never be, or he could never be" is ignorant.

There is only one way to find out.

Oh and nForce, sometimes the smaller types have the most potential for growth. Sometimes they're refered to as "easy hard gainers" (me being one of them). Hard gainers, in the fact they have a really high metabolism, and easy gainers, because of their high ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch.

What im getting at, is sometimes skinny guys can get quite muscular. They just have to work harder and eat more.

As for tips on how to do so, just search T-nation.

9. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

i was talking about ecto's, and i know what you mean look at dorian yates before he joined the gym

10. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Prophet, that stuff about the myostatin gene isn't true. Although you are correct in saying some people have mutations of the gene (Flex Wheeler for example), even excessively muscular people don't necessarily have this mutation.

More relevant to discussion of natural limits is degree of mesomorphy. The more mesomorphic someone is, the bigger their bones will be, the more tolerant of adding muscle mass their body will be and most importantly, the longer their muscle bellies will be. This is the reason why people can differ so much in size.

Ghost, being in the same position as you not too long ago, I can honestly say it will be difficult. However you're still 16 so the chances are you'll be a bit bigger at 18-20 when you've had time to reap the effects of increased testosterone. I can't offer more advice than eat, eat, eat and train hard. Oh, and play to your strengths. Being an ecto means you can eat food regularly that bigger folk can't touch without putting on weight.

11. GhostOfYourMind

Thanks ya'll, I actually am gonna try a modified GVT (ok, so it'll be something like 10x5, not REALLY GVT, but lots of volume, something I gotta be careful bout though) or go back to 5x5 or 8x3. My body seems to like the heavy stuff! :D

Maverick- I don't doubt it'll be tough. Nothing should be a walk in the park if it's worth it.;) Now I just need to figure out a way to set up a barbell in my extra bedroom (I need one long enough to put a nice amount of weight on, but short enough to fit! AHHH!).

Mmmk, so now that that's all sorted out...

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I think you're too young for GVT, there is no way you have the experience to benefit from it. Stick to another program like 5x5 or 10x3 etc.

13. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

GVT... Unless you are a very experienced lifter, you will have to use pussy weights to get in that many sets and reps.

14. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I just made 265 for my 1RM. :)

15. GhostOfYourMind

Yeah, that's why I said modified GVT, like Mike Mahler's version (I think it goes 10x5, then 10x4, then 10x3 or something). I'll probably gravitate towards 5x5 again or 8x3. Unfortuneately, weights have been getting hit only once a week or as many as 4 times per week due to this PE thing I'm taking (i didn't fail...just wanna get it outta the way for more space on my junior schedule). So in about 2 weeks, I'll have to (and be able to) get back on track. :D

16. polecat63

polecat63 Valued Member

When I was lifting heavy in my late teens my 1R max was 500lbs. No way I could do that now!! I only do squats as part of my form trainging. I weigh 200lbs and I can do about 60 Dragon Coils (thirty each side) before I pass out. :) This is usually after about twenty mins. of standing exercises.
    Strictlt from a martial arts standpoint I would think endurance would be more important that a 1R max.