How much of Western culture influences Japanese culture?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Per example, do they think its sheik to eat hamburgers, like the Occidentals whom eat Sushi?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sheik? Do you mean chic?

3. 47MartialMan

Wow. So all you came off from the thread is a pun term I use.
    :rolleyes:

(It is like a finger pointing to the moon)

To further explain on the derailed thread;

Lost my focus.

Sheik is part of a pun term (Sheik and Geek) I use when my daughter overheard me giving reference to subjects out of our (family) cultural norm

She thought (at that time, I think she was 7-9) it was "Sheik" (she had replaced Chic)

I told her it was spelled "chic", and she replied that was "chick"

4. Simon

Hardly derailed is it. I asked a question and you have gone off on a rant.

You have been told before that your posts are difficult to read at the best of times. "Pun terms" are hardly going to help.

5. 47MartialMan

And how does it clarify the actual meaning of the thread?

The main question left unanswered focused yet by another question of a pun.

(This isnt the Grammer Nazi thread) :)

6. Simon

7. 47MartialMan

I have seen a special about McDonald's and its empire to spread Western Culture.

I was also looking for other Western culture influences upon Japanese culture

8. 47MartialMan

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

How stupid of us not to know your personal family anecdotes as to the incorrect yet highly amusing usage of words. :rolleyes:

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

They put zombies in the next Yakuza game. I blame that on Western cultire.

11. 47MartialMan

I would not use the word stupid.

Basically, the main message was there. There was not a initial response to the message other than what was uncorrect*.

(It is like a finger pointing to the moon)

12. 47MartialMan

Now we are getting somewhere.

That said, what other Western influences (can be readily seen, at the present) upon the Japanese culture?

Neon Lights?

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One of the biggest and longest lasting influences from the west on Japan... is the concept of the modern department store. Complete with goods on display in glass cases, female sales girls and publicity gimmicks to outdo competing stores. Prior to the transitional period that took place between approximately 1867 and 1923... the department store didn't exist in Japan. Diamaru and Mitsukoshi were the two major traditional Japanese dry goods shops. Nothing on display and no females worked in them - they also didn't promote their shops with fanfare and neither had glass cases to display items. If you wanted an item you went in and talked to a shop keeper and he went into a store room and brought it out. There wasn't any browsing and there certainly wasn't any window shopping.

This concept came from the west during the time Edo became Tokyo. Many of the things that are western that came to influence Japan happened at this time. Most people wouldn't even think to question many of the things because for generations now they've grown up with them in modern Japan. Items such as street lights, trains and cable cars all came from the west around this period... and slowly became completely integrated into Japanese society.

It's a fascinating topic and there are probably a whole lot more. But those are two that came to mind instantly. With many Japanese companies and products you can look at the names and trace them back to the original families and fortunes that started them. What started as a family that owned a dried good shop (Mitsui) is now a massive multi-national conglomerate that does everything from concrete, infrastructure development and heavy machinery to department stores and food stuffs.

Fascinating subject.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  14. 47MartialMan

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like where this thread is going, could be good :D

16. 47MartialMan

Great.

Do you have anything you have read or like to share?

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There probably is man, I'm sure I'll think of something. I really just wanted to subscribe to the thread. :)

18. Simon

You can subscribe to a thread without posting in it.

Click on "thread tools" at the top of the page and there is an option to subscribe.

19. 47MartialMan

In honesty, I was looking for you to include something. Normally you have some good things to add.

20. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

I wouldn't call it ---- (whatever that word is), but it is one of the number one favorite foods for children.

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai