How much money does it take to be considered 'rich'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kwajman, Dec 12, 2011.

?

How much money does a person need to make to be considered 'rich'?

1. Under 150,000

11.8%
  2. 150,000-250,000

11.8%
  3. 250,000-500,000

17.6%
  4. 500,000-1,000,000

29.4%
  5. Over one million dollars

29.4%
  1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Answer the poll before you read the link. A survey of a cross section of Americans revealed how much money they thought you had to have to be making per year to be considered 'rich'. Remember this is in US dollars so don't know how you folks overseas can answer unless you know the exchange rate.

I have already answered.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I took a guess at it, but I don't see any link to read?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What's that in proper money?

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Three chickens and one goat!

5. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Would that be money or currencey?

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

There's a difference between rich and wealthy. A rich guy will still go to prison for murder. A wealthy guy doesn't even need to worry about it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglXIoiXDFM"]CHRIS ROCK: RICH VS. WEALTH - YouTube[/ame]

Wealth can also be considered in non-liquid assets. If I own half the land on this planet but only have $10 000 I may not be rich but I'd be the wealthiest guy around.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Crap, now I can't find the article. It was broken down by age, gender, having children or no children and the overall average was $150,000. Dang I wish I could find it.

8. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

9. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The implications of that study are heartbreaking.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

12. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

More money than i have. Simple.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think someone's rich when they can walk away from work and still maintain a relatively good standard of living for the rest of their lives.
    I'd say I only know 3-4 people that rich.
    If you have to work then IMHO you ain't rich no matter how much you earn.

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

The problem with that definition is that there are not many people who are willing to go down a notch if they lost their income. I know a few people who are well off but because their spending massively out paces their income(which is almost 0) they are probably going to be broke in a few years.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh yeah.
    You can be rich but spend it like a muppet and lose it all.
    But theoretically you could "maintain a relatively good standard of living" off that money too.
    By "a relatively good standard of living" I mean having a house, a couple of cars perhaps, pay the bills, a holiday every year, indulge a hobby from time to time, eat out occasionally. The sort of living many people manage to maintina by having a job and working all week.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I like that definition a lot.

I think to put it in less subjective terms, you could say

'a person is rich if they are able to maintain the level of lifestyle enjoyed by the 'average person'

So if the average single person earned $40k after income taxes, to be considered rich (assuming you are also single) you would need to have accumulated 40,000*(life expectancy - current age).

So a 40 year old, would need to have savings of $1.6m - $2m to be considered rich

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean, it doesn't entirely work. Someone that's 90 wouldn't need much to maitain their life.
    But as a general rule I think what you have to do on a Monday morning defines how rich you are.