How much is too much weight to lift for martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tooksomechin_na, Jul 24, 2017.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Boyle is the one that's anti back squat and pro single leg work if I remember rightly, honestly yes I'd put him and santana in the same group of read listen be objective use their stuff if you are injured coming back from injury or as part of your warm up. But we have to remember you are doing strength and conditioning not rehab work it's a part of the process but some coach's have made it the whole process usually for a marketing reason to be different....most people will get better results from a good warm up, working mobility and flexibility on off days, and doing heavy compound lifts with good form

axelb, Fish Of Doom and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I may ask my trainer what he means by functional in his advertising. My impression from things he has said (it was a while ago, don't recall exactly), is that he means learning proper movement patterns and being able to perform both daily activities & sports you choose to do, with proper form/technique, without discomfort.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I believe it should be the opposite. MA guy should train weight with "body unification (functional)" in mind and stay away from "muscle group isolation". When you punch, you are using your whole body to do that punch. You are not just punch with your arm only.

In the following "muscle group isolation" training picture, he freezes his body and only move his arms. He only works out his arm muscle.

[​IMG]

In the following "body unification (functional) training clip, he uses his whole body to work out. He may not develop big muscle through this exercise. But he will develop strong body structure (such as to use fireman's carry).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I never said isolation exercises I said stay away from anything with functional in the title as it's normally a fad, deadlifts, squats farmers walks cleans are more functional than anything peddled on the market as functional

axelb likes this.