How much can you learn from a book?!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakim, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Hi ppl, I despise the idea of gradings, I just can't handle pressure of any sort! So I was wondering, how much can you learn from a few good books and maybe a dvd or 2?! Could me and my friend learn the basics of a few martial arts?! If not, why? I know that we would be missing out on the philosophical side, but its street defence I want to learn. Any opinions? Am I being optimistic in thinking that a lot of techniques can be learnt without attending a class?!

2. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

There’s quite a lot that you can learn from a book. However, in order for it to be TRULY profitable for you (not monetary wise, of course), one needs a very solid foundation within like-wise martial arts. It’s supposed to be a supplementary “textbook”, similar to the ones that you use whenever in any other academic school.

I’ve learned my Southern Lohan form from a book, but was able to understand the postures, Jing and applicable methods from it due to my foundation. So therefore, it worked out.

But, if you’re coming fresh-faced into a book, without prior and solid martial knowledge, then you may be doing more harm than good to yourself.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Ermm ok:

1 If you can't stand the pressure of a gradings then you don't have an ice cube in hells chance of remembering techniques you learn from a book or dvd in a fight. To be honest no one does, this leads me on to...

2. Part of what martial arts trainnign does is teach you to work under pressure by regularly putting you under pressure

3. If you don't have a partner to practice the techniques on while they resist then you won't be able to use them in any sort of reliable way for self defence.

4. A book can not convey the subtleties of a technique very well, an instructor can see what you do wrong and mroe importantly have you do the technique on them and feel what you do wrong.

5. If you train without proper supervision you are very likely to get hurt or injured in a very nasty way.

6. Plenty of Martial Arts have don't have gradings, maybe you should try them out.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm afraid you are being overly optimistic, yeah. Learning from a book is not quite useless, but in the neighborhood of useless. You can only go based on two-dimensional pictures and on your own experience. And you have none, so that's not a reliable gauge of any sort. (In other words, if you had years of experience in taekwondo and you read about how a different style kicks, I think you'd have background enough to make a decent crack at trying out the different method. But you don't have any frame of reference.)

You could find a school that doesn't use gradings. Or you could simply learn to get through the gradings. Learning to face pressure is part of the point.

Stuart

5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Rakim,

Learning from a book (and DVD) will only help you so far:
    You don't learn the feeling
    You don't learn the change in a technique.
    You don't understand the reason why move 'a' is applied, before 'b' can be applied.
    You don't learn the counters to the attack.

So on and so on.....

6. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

7. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

lol that monkey would batter me! OK guys, I did expect to get those sort of answers, otherwise more people would learn from books and DVD's. Thanks for being honest, I suppose I'll either have to start Wing Chun (the only art in my area without gradings) or get over my fear!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What, precisely, are you afraid of? Performance anxiety is pretty common. Do you think you're experiencing something more serious than that?

9. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

If you do not like gradings try Kickboxing. I do not think you can master an art from a book or a dvd though it is better than doing nothing. I started with youkando Shotokan Karate videos and found a TKD teacher to study under for free. What I am saying is do what you can until somthing better comes along. In the end if it makes you happy it does not matter what anyone thinks. Most people think they know what is best for you anyway.

10. Developing

Developing Valued Member

You say you can't handle the pressure of gradings yet you have never experienced gradings atleast not in the martial arts. I didn't look at your profile to see your age but I will only say that whatever you have been tested on in other areas of life that have given you anxiety may not neccesarily cause the same feelings in the martial arts. I now guys who are never more at ease than when they are on the floor. Don't short change yourself, go find out.

But to answer your question I'll give you a quick example. I know a guy who has never trained under an instructor. But he's been stealing martial arts books for 10 years and studying them. Whenever this guy throws a kick he drops his hands. He does a lot of other things incorrectly as well but I'll stop with that one. If he had an instructor such things could be pointed out to him. But he refuses to go to one.

11. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

OK...Rakim:

If you cant handle the relatively low amount of pressure involved in a test...then how the hell are you going to handle the relatively HIGH amount of pressure involved in a real street defence situation?? If this sort of thing is a problem for you, then I recommend taking up a less stressful hobby like...knitting.

Do yourself a favor and get to a school and start elarning. While a variety of martial arts schools out there dont even have tests, I kind of think perhaps yorue one of the people that could benefit going through with them.

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You should also understand that in MA testings, all of the testing is already done before you even enter the room. The teacher knows whether or not you have the necessary skill to graduate to the next belt or whatever, so there isn't really anything to worry about. If you have demonstrated the necessary skill for the last couple of months, as long as you don't go in and flop around on the floor like an epileptic fish, you'll be fine.

13. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I agree with what you said. Just that one part a person can spar hard for a "real" fight, but doesn't always mean they can handle the pressure of a real fight. So, Rakim maybe able to handle the pressure of a real fight, but just not practice.

14. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

The difference is, in a real street fight situation, I will have to face it! As learning a martial art is an option, I choose not to commit myself because it means that gradings are involved. By the way I'm 20 years old, and I have been through gradings before, Judo, and I would consider my first sparring match in a ring as a boxing version of a grading. To be honest, once I'd done it, I felt better within myself, its just forcing myself to get that far. Im sure its not a serious matter, just a little nervousness.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Not true in all styles. In many, for example, you have to fight to earn your grade, which introduces a new element into the pass/fail equation: the opponent.

Sometimes you're almost guaranteed a pass, other times it's by no means certain.

16. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

There comes the pressure! If I knew beforehand that I had to fight to prove myself, I'd go to pieces! It happened a lot when I was younger playing football (soccer), in practise, or kick-arounds with my mates, I'd be a good player, but as soon as I started playing for teams, my nerves took over and I was the worst player on the pitch! Just a psychological problem I guess, because I know I had the ability there.

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The thing is that if you get a decent instructor they'll gradually get you used to varying degrees of pressure to ensure that the grading isn't as huge a step as it first seems.

18. Topher

Topher allo!

^^ What he said.

Pressure is part of the point. If you can't take the pressure in class, how on earth can you handle in a real situation.

Usually you'll grade with few other people, or in bigger organisations, a floor full of people. You will usually only be put forward for the grading when the instructor is sure you can pass. But if you can't stand gradings (which are not that bad) pick a style which dosn't have gradings.

Btw, Wing Chun is a good style ;)

19. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Hmmm... for me, one of the main benefits of a martial art is pulling you out of your comfort zone. When put on the spot (testing, performing in front of class, etc) you learn a lot more about yourself and can actually grow. First testing (or first time singled out in a class) is usually a huge deal; 10th, 20th, or 100th time not so much. You've learned how to cope with a stressful situation, which can only help if you ever do get in a fight (much MORE stressful situation) and need to apply something.

IMO, if testing is what really stresses you out and you hate it, you should face it (seek it out) rather than run from it. Of course, that's your call.

20. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Rakim stop being a victim and go out there and make a change for the positive.

Stop rationalizing and go out there and nix this paradigm in the ass.

Dont be content with the qualities about yourself that arent "the best they could be", go out there and make a vested effort to grow as a human being, to change for the better; and learn some martial arts in the process. It will build character, and the chicks will come flocking.