How many rounds

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by vampyregirl, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Do we know that for sure? Any time you accidentally hit your head off of something, your brain does experience some kind of trauma. Since a vast majority of the cases of both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's have no known cause as of yet, any guess at this point would be mere speculation.

2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Not refering to the bare knucle era. Jake Lamatta is 90 years old and seemss fine. Jim Braddock lived into his 90s. Archie Moore lived into his 80s.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So wait, what you're saying is it doesn't happen to everyone? No kidding! That's amazing. Insightful.

Not all of the NFL players playing in a longer season get injured either. I guess it's okay then, right?

Or do we look at the statistics and then realize that a longer season/fight might not be healthy to the players/fighters?

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Not all smokers die of respiratory cancers or coronary disease, but that doesn't mean they aren't considerably more likely to then non smokers.

Edit:Oh, Kuma you made my point before I did. Well, it bears repeating.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

So we should ban smoking? No we shouldn't, because they know the risk when they do it.

7. Oddsbodskins

Who here advocated banning boxing? Nobody, as such your analogy is nonsense. Does that mean we shouldn't take steps to reduce the risks of smoking would have been more apt. But seeing as we do, it wouldn't have been a very strong argument in support of your point of view.

8. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Like what? Except for warning people about the health risks theres not much we can do to reduce smoking.

9. Oddsbodskins

Sure there is, as well as warning people we can introduce legislation to make smoking more difficult or unpleasant, here in the UK that's been happening for years. This brings along with it a host of societal changes and pressures which cant be underestimated as a deterrent.

10. Hannibal

No smoking bars
    Exclusion zones around doorways
    No smoking in public places
    No smoking with kids in the car

There have been a LOT of measures beyond just education

11. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Those measure have nothing to do with getting people to quit smoking. Smoking in public places is often prohibited because many non smokers are bothered by second hand smoke.

12. Oddsbodskins

You really don't think making something harder is going to encourage people to quit?

13. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Wish i could get my mom to quit.

14. Hannibal

Wrong - they are part of a larger public health investment plan globally designed to minimise exposure and temptation. Whilst not directly pertinent to individual rights and decisions they do impact on peer pressure and societal/casual opportunity that can often interfere with a quitting process

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Steps have been taken though to make sure most cigarettes are safer, have they not? Filters, menthols, lower tobacco, etc.

16. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I think you mean low tar. Its the tobacco tar that damages lungs and causes cancer. As for menthol it just makes it smell a lil better.

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

roy shaw Vs lenny mclean (the first time round) was scheduled to be till death/total incapacitation.

i beleive he jumped on his head when he looked like he was going to get up again.

18. Hannibal

That was Donavan Bradshaw, the "mad gypsy", who was stomped because he thought nutting Lenny before the bell went would be a good idea

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

that too.

in roys biography he says he KO'd him and jumped on his head, i think of lot of those fights started before the bell went off.