How many people here

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Mr. C, Jul 7, 2007.

1. wow-food

wow-food New Member

man, i have too many problems, although most of them don't bother me so much.

Aspergurs
    Photophobia
    Myopia
    Nystagmus
    Something else i've forgotten (another eyeproblem)
    Occular Albenism.

Also have random spats of mild depression, accompanied by major spats of apathy.

One of the most annoying questions i get asked.

"when you look at things how different does it look?"

How the hell am i meant to know, as far as i'm concerned everything seems normal. The biggest problem of all of those is the nystagmus which is uncontrollable eye movement, my brain has to compensate for the eyemovement which means several things

1: if i'm tired / drunk my eyesight goes bad... VERY bad,
    2: I'm always concentrating to see, (natural now) which takes a fair amount of energy so i end up sleeping around 10h a night due to it.
    3: people keep asking why my eye's move... its annoying.
    4: It destroys my balance, i'm OK now, i mean good enough balance for martial arts, but when i was younger eh... lets say i never have, and at this stage never will learn to ride a bike.

I have mild aspergurs, jokes i'm fine understanding etc, but i hate social situations, when it involves friends etc its not so bad, but outsiders i tend to clamp up... alot.

2. abshe

abshe New Member

I have Asperger's too, although I was just diagnosed less than a year ago. My biggest problem in Taekwondo is getting frustrated in class (and my weak ankles, which may be unrelated.) My Asperger's syndrome is actually one of the reasons I decided to learn Taekwondo, to help me with discipline and to improve my balance and flexibility.

3. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

I have tinnitus really bad so staying centered and concentrating is just really hard for me. I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have anxiety and depression issues.

The thing is that I love the arts because it is like puzzle and problem solving for me. Joint problems that I have suck but I tell you I do appreciate them for one reason, the wearing of knee braces and audiotory issues make me work very hard on technique and concentration.

I like the aspect of this site. It is good to see that there are others with disabilities that are training with dedication.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Bloody hell there's a lot of people here with problems :s I myself suffer from anxiety and depression, with some other stuff bouncing around up there that hasn't been given a name yet :p It's funny, I'm fine going to martial arts (It's almost the only time I ever leave the house) but I can't go to the pub with friends I've known over 20 years. Was bullied at school (like most, I know) and never really recovered my confidence. I spose martial arts is different, you don't have to really interact socially with people, you just do your thing and try not to get hit lol