How many of you are black belts?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by b33p.us, Nov 23, 2005.

1. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

In kickboxing I mean of course, and who has black belt grading coming up in the next 2 or so months? I'm interested to see how many of you are black, and if you are black please tell me if it's your 1st, 3rd, whatever :)

2. I am - first DAN

3. Topher

Topher allo!

There's belts in kickboxing?

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yup. As the kickboxing i do is a decendant of karate and tkd then i guess its a way of keeping it linked.

5. hux

hux ya, whatever.

we don't get belts at my school.

6. Some do, some don't

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

seems to be the done thing in the US and the UK.

me, well I am a TENTH DAN SUPREMEM BLACK BELT OF DEATH AND ALSO PAIN

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

My shorts have elastic. I don't need a belt.

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

no, your just a 19year old who thinks hes Mr Martial arts. ;) :D

10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I've got my first dan - never worn the belt though - it's still in it's wrapper in the back of the car :)

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My class doesn't do belts. If they did, I'd demand a camoflage belt to match my shorts :D

12. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

Very smart :p

13. kumikaze

kumikaze valved ember

Hmmm never got that stuff. I mean ring sports and belts are like... North-Korea and democracy. Imho

14. Desired Effect

Desired Effect New Member

i never realised there was belts in that art, what you have to do to get the belt?

15. Skinnyman

Skinnyman New Member

Yeah, we have a belt system aswell. There are gradings every three months up to purple/white, then every six months up to brown/white, after which you have to train for at least year before you can go for black belt.
    The cynic in me does see it as a money making thing, but at the same time it does give people something to aim for.
    Also our chief instructor is extreamly strict, no lightwieghts slip through! From what i've heard the black belt grading is nails, 5 hours long, cripes!

16. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Belts = ££££

Don't tell me... each test for every new belt costs a bit/lot more each time?

I wonder if you can get a Black Belt in Boxing nowadays too?

Pugil

17. Skinnyman

Skinnyman New Member

Lol, I know what you mean, the thought has crossed my mind before, but I enjoy what i'm doing so I don't mind.

18. Thing is, boxing is to diferent.

When you're asked these days "what is kickboxing?", some will say leg kicks, some will say American rules. Others will say continuous, while others say semi contact or even forms. Kickboxing doesn't exist - only as a term to branch other disciplines in to it. Generally, the continuous/semi/points/amerian rules systems tend to have belts whilst the leg kick and knee variants don't.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

which only further proves my point that belts are for sooks, pansies and blouses!

20. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Boxing/Kickboxing

Boxing with the hands only, Boxing with the hands and feet... The only reason for belts [as I see it] is that the pioneers of one form of modern kickboxing, i.e. American Kickboxing, was developed by Karate people. In other words, it's basically 'Karate in gloves'.

There had already been a fantastic barefoot kickboxing system around for many years before American Kickboxing was developed. That system was/is known as Muay Thai. That art utilises 8 weapons. There was already another great system, where shoes are worn on the feet, which limits the weapons to the hands and feet only. That art had also been around for a long time. It was/is known as Savate.

Both these arts include kicks below the waist, however. So I guess that if you don't care much for, or can't cope with, leg kicks (which kind of defeats the object for me personally), then take up one of the American/Karate influenced versions instead.

Pugil