How many martial art can a person master?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pmosiun, Jul 1, 2008.

1. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Hi, i was wondering this question recently, the reason is because most people have things to do like work and family and i wanted to know how many of you actually are able to learn more than one martial art and how do you manage to be able to divide your time?

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Learn - as many as you can manage within your time constraints. There's no formula

Master - None. Ever.

3. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

depends how often u learn, what if I learnt 2 martial arts but only went to one class for each every week. that wouldn't be too hard to now huh? but if I was actually wanting to become ANY GOOD at them then yeah I'd have to put in a lot more effort....

it depends what martial arts your after too, some clubs train in multiple martial arts so that could be handy for you.

4. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

You could train every day for the rest of your life in a single art and still never master it.

Learning enough to be able to say you 'know it' - depends on time and effort.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

You lie Moose, it's 4.2

Idiot.

:D

If masters mastered a martial art why can't anyone else????

7. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

There's a lot of controversey about the question but a lot of time its comes back to what a person defines as "knowing", or "being familiar with" or "mastering". people who report knowing more than one art usually have much lower expectations. In my own case I have a 4th Dan in YON MU KWAN Hapkido and a 3rd Dan in HWARANG GOM-BOP. I'm a long way from mastery in either art, and keeping my skills up in both arts really keeps me moving. Add to that the need to move forward and improve on one's knowlege base and I can't imagine how people who claim to have mastered four and five arts do it.
    Just my 2 cents.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Easy. They're lying to look good :cool:

Anyone who calls themselves a master immediately loses any right to it.

9. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

So True

Yes It depends at which level you determine mastery is

Yes you are a master when others call you master, if you call yourself master then, well ..............

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't know about "mastering" more than one art, I sure haven't gotten there.

I find training and progressing in two arts to be about as much as I can handle. I work a day job to "live" and I spend a lot of time at our school. We offer a Taekwondo class (Mon-Fri for 75 minutes) and a Combat Hapkido classes (for 75+ minutes) each night (except no CHKD on Friday). Attending both classes 3-4 times a week keeps me progessing along pretty well, it gives me time to practice my own requirements, assist others, and teach, all of which are crucial for my development. I also practice some stuff at home (especially patterns). I take one night a week off and Sat/Sun to rest and do other things.

As a young single man, this works pretty well. For a person with a family or whatever, it would be much more difficult. We have quite a few students who do one art or the other. We have a very few students who train in both, and they usually try to get in at least twice a week for both classes.

For me, I think spending my time training and being with super people is much better than hanging out in a bar or whatever else people do! :)

11. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

You can never master an art. Some arts evolve with time, and all have infinite possibilities to start with. There is no mastery of an art.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

See, why is everyone saying it's impossible to master something? What is it that it's impossible to master? Everyone says they shouldn't be called master, but then revere those people they call masters themselves!

I'm not being antagonistic but there's this "awe" placed upon people who have been practising certain arts for years and the average Joe couldn't possibly get to grips with this art.Why? It just seems to me that with a lot of ma's there is this false almost sainthood placed upon the senior pracitioners when, in actual fact ,with a lot of training it's perfectly possible to be of a similar standard. After all, are they all "superhuman"?
    Yeah there's being humble but then there's taking it to the extreme.

13. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I think I know what you are saying and that is why I commented about knowing how the thread-starter defined "mastered". For myself, being a traditionalist, there are a lot of implications to the word "master" including philosophical issues, life-style issues, practice and performance and so on.

Keeping it on purely a physical level, I tend to look at the term "master" as someone who can flawlessly perform a particular aspect of their art, on demand. I liken this to an Olympic gymnast who is told to perform a particular set of floor work and must do so for judges on a one-time-means-all basis. I don't think most people will reach this level of execution, but those who get close probably deserve some sort of recognition, yes? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think anyone who crosstrains soon realises that it's not about mastering any one art but more about building one's skills at all ranges. You don't need all the techniques just the ones that work for you.
    The sum of the parts become greater than any of the original arts on their own. I've just proved it with mathematics:rolleyes:

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Gaaaaaaaaah I understood what you meant till you brought maths into it :D

I'm in agreement though, cross training made me think a little differently and I worry about the whole hero worship thing.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Saying that though, I suppose it all depends on your reasons for training.

17. Raptorman

Raptorman Valued Member

When you bring cross training into the eqation the discussion turns into one about being a complete fighter as opposed to a master of an art. Its akin to being a painter and a sculpter. Maybe two types of painting methods would be a better analogy, abstract and impressionism. They are different methods of using a brush but you cant combine both to make a better abstract painting, its a different style.

18. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

This is something that i hope does not get taken the wrong way by some people. My Master, Sifu was is a master of kung fu, he is not a master of life itself. Anyway i will stop being a student when i am dead so i will have mastered nothing just been very good at it.

19. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

If I ever mastered an art what would I do then. there would be NOTHING to learn. Happily I do not see that happening.

regards koyo

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Early days though Eh?