How many kickboxers out there?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by _Jay_, Mar 14, 2005.

?

How many members do kickboxing?

1. Yes, I do!

63.0%
  2. Nope, not me.

37.0%
  1. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

There doesn't seem to be much activity in this forum, so I was just wondering how many members out there are kickboxers?

2. Nyx

Nyx Valued Member

There all asleep, lazy bar-stewards! :D

3. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

I'm a kickboxer. I think most people on this board have had some experience with kickboxing, usually, at the start of their Martial Arts training. However, I think some people "advance" onto a more technical/differently orientated art after a time. Also, Muay Thai is becoming more popular and people move to that (like me!).

4. Nyx

Nyx Valued Member

Still all lazy bar-stewards!

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I agree with what leeless said.. to a point.

I started kickboxing, then also started the kung fu lessons of the same style. I find most of my training concentrates on the kung fu, but I still go along to the dedicated KB sessions whenever I can (at least weekly + squad training). At the end of the day I still train in kickboxing (even during KF lessons), and when I compete it's as a kickboxer.

As far as "advancing" to other arts? I think "changing" would be a better word. Kickboxing is a very generic word for a sport fighting style which suits some people more than others. This can then lead people onto the "Art" it originated from..

Oh and Nyx, I definitely fall into that category sometimes, and I don't work in a bar. :)

6. leeless

Good point. I agree. However, by "advancing", I meant that Kickboxing is quite a common doorway into martial arts in general. Some people then "advance" on to other arts more suited to them after learning the fundementals in kickboxing. Hence, the lack of Kickboxers in this forum. :)

Kickboxing is very vague, but in this context, I'm using the western kickboxing sport.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  7. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

My instructor teaches his students Kick Boxing, American Kempo, and Arnis. So I guess that makes me a kick boxer.

8. DangerMouse

I think kickboxing's a great thing for introducing many people to MAs.

I realise that alot of people here consider KB as their "introductory" style, and have then gone onto other things, and hence they tend to ignore this topic (other things more imprtant to them - I'm guilty, if I've only got 5 mins I'll normally just check general discussion, off-topic etc.). I understood your point leeless, and I agree with it.

I could say that I do an "eastern" style of KB because of where it's origins lay (I don't - I do kickboxing {full stop}), however I realise that the style has changed greatly over time and adaptation for pure fighting. Therefore I am a "western" kickboxer, fighting any style I can find that works. :D

9. leeless

Me to mate. :rolleyes:

Well...as this is such as sparsely populated section. Would you mind if I went off-topic?

I hope I understand your point of being a "western" Kickboxer (because you've "westernised" eastern techniques right?

If this is the case, could you tell me then the differences between the "eastern style" you describe and the western sport rules style?

10. DangerMouse

Western Rules? I conform to any rules the competition dictates. :D

I'm not experienced enought to comment on the differences in any east-west rules. I only meant that the (very early) origins of my KB was eastern, and I didn't start training in American KB (what I would consider western, despite the eastern or any other influences).

"Westernised" eastern technique - exactly what I meant lee.

I don't know what "eastern" rules are, only the rules I have been taught to fight to. As far as "eastern techniques" are concerned I think I have mis-represented myself. I apply whatever techniques I learn in any lesson to my fighting. Sometimes I come a cropper when spinning backfists are dissallowed (don't ask me why if they're done with control), but most if not all of the techniques I do, I only do because they are effective, not where they come from.

I personally don't think there's all that much different between east/west KB. If you get onto Muay Tai etc. that's a different story, but if you can find an art that works for you, who cares where it comes from, as long as it work for you (whatever the rules).

11. leeless

Right. So your not pigeonhole-ing what KB is. The "eastern" part of your KB comes from your Kung Fu presumably, and you apply that to KB as a sport? Right? If not...don't waste your time trying to explain yourself to me as I've spent to long writing essays to comprehend anything other than "Must sleep". :)

12. DangerMouse

Spot-on lee

You take what you have to a fight, regardless where it came from.

13. Jacobi

Jacobi New Member

Lol thats freakin funny man.

14. Daffy

Daffy Valued Member

Im starting kickboxing in 3 weeks.

15. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

Hope you enjoy it let us know how you get on!

16. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

i do lau gar kickboxing along with lau gar kung fu :love:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  17. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

Hey all, ive jsut recently started kickboxing. im loving it so far. Atm i cant see why anyone would change style from kickboxing. :cool:

18. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

Great stuff! Keep at it!

19. Enigma_TKO

Enigma_TKO New Member

i take it you are a kickboxer yourself jay?

20. Macca_g

Macca_g New Member

I Have been Kickboxing 9 months but only just joined here it will get more popular with time probably :D