How many forms is too many?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by nintyplayer, Aug 15, 2013.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

How many forms is too many forms? Let's say you're practicing with combat in mind. Is it better, then, to practice your Tan Tui 20 times a day, or practice your Tan Tui, a Seven-Star form, a couple of Tiger forms, etc.? There are schools I know of with less than four forms total, and some with over 30.

Right now I know 4-6 forms (two are weapons forms, so you may not count those for practical combat application). The school I attend teaches around 25 in total.

How many forms do you know? How many do you regularly practice?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is a good subject to address.

I once visited a hodge podge martial art school. It was one that claim to teach Gong Fu, but used Japanese terms.

That aside, the forms had up to and past 100 moves.

So while the quantity of forms may be a good subject of study, the quality of the instruction and methodology BEHIND those forms hold the most value

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

all irrelevant before the more fundamental questions of WHY you practice them and how your practice aligns with that reason have been answered first. that said, varied forms give you options to choose from, but there is no practical need to do them all.

4. 47MartialMan

AGREE

Almost what I was saying;
    methodology BEHIND those forms hold the most value

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This^^ My dojo teaches dozens of kata and forms, but the more important thing is the applications part of class. Without application, it's dance in pajamas. ;)

6. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

You don't need any forms for combat but most people need them for learning a technical system. Are you leanring to fight or learning to fight with a strategy and distinct set of principles.

I tell my students to pick a couple of forms that they like and work them so they can good standard. The rest can be done at walk through pace.

Systems like wing chun, taiji etc IMHO need the forms as they are a very progressive and deep as far as body structure, power generation and Control.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The awesome thing about martial arts in this day and age is you have so many choices. If you want a style with no forms, or only a few, they are out there for you to study. If you want a style with lots of forms, they are also out there.

What is too much? If you aren't enjoying studying them, then they are too much for you. And only you, because that same amount may be just fine for another student.

Should one practice one form many times or several different ones? Well, at least in my style there is a lot of repetition and overlapping concepts from form to form. Certain combinations of moves can be found in many forms. So, even when working on different forms, you are repeatedly working on some of the same stuff. You can build your leg strength with low strong stances no matter what forms you are doing. Generating power in say a tsop choi is going to pretty much be the same in different forms. You get the idea.......

Understanding the concepts and applications is critical though. I agree with others here about that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If you don't understand the principles behind the form, and can't apply any of the techniques contained in it, then even one form is too many. But if you are learning something from every form you do then there is no upper limit beyond which you are learning too many.

The important thing is what you actually learn and what you can apply. That is the goal. If you are simply 'collecting forms' then it is all a bit pointless really - although you will probably gain some physical benefit from the excercise.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

10. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Was looking at some 7 star mantis stuff this morning and there does seem to be a load of forms (80+), what your saying here makes sense. But how does this fit with gradings if you only really put the effort into a couple but as in mantis you have many forms to get to grips with?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

One. :D

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I know 30+ CLF hand forms, the same number of weapons forms, 30 or so Hung Gar forms, and a smattering of Changquan, Hark Fu Mun, Baji and Taiji forms. If I was just training for myself I'd only practice the "greatest hits", but I have to teach (and I can't start people off on Siu Bot Gwa Kuen), so I do a ton of developmental material for my students.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

BINGO!

no, wait...

14. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

One is too many, and 100 is not enough.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

3 forms should be enough.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  16. Vegeta

Vegeta Hmm I love my girlfriend

I knew three forms, I forgot them all a little, I just focus on combination and shadow boxing now for "form" training.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I personally believe about three/four forms with study of their application. Dont see how you can solidly study 20-30 forms in depth.

I have one kung fu form and 3 karate forms that I favour at the moment for different reasons i.e. Sanchin for Ibuki and body conditioning not all for martial reasons. I do more shadow boxing than anything.

Cheers

Dan93

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

We got about a dozen hand forms and I actually only know 2 weapons forms. (weapons were never my thing...that and Lion Dance)

I like forms, to me its like pre choreographed shadow boxing and it makes things easier to remember. My Dad now and again still does it, even though he's in the ripe rickety shape and is in his mid 60s.

But its all down to perspective and how you train. Many I know unfortunately treat forms like a dance. No intent as it were.

As someone said earlier, it can easily just turn into Dancing in PJs...

Also too many folk over romantisizing the "mythicalness" of CMA, so theres too much forced meaning into movements which is essentially... parry and punch face.

19. 47MartialMan

How many moves in each?

20. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

At one stage in my younger days i was form crazy and learned 22 but to realy know a form you have to practice everyday and at least 5 times for each form, as well as the fighting training this is to many and just takes to much time especially when you have other things to do like work.

Now i only know 5 hand forms and five weapons, i have a CLF book and the author claims to have 180 in their style, i say crap anyone who claims to know this many or teach all those forms is just straight out lying and on top of that he teaches Tai Chi as well.