How long?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by calidris, May 4, 2007.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

all together, this is my 7th year in martial arts. but the years are divided up into 3 styles of martial arts.

2. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Im pushing 10 years now! Bloody hell, I thought it ws like 3!

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have just stickied this thread, thought it is a good place for people to introduce themselves,tell a bit about themselves etc . :)

I have been training for just over 2 years, I know I know,an utter noobie! Love it though and can't ever see me quitting :)

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've done various Karate schools as well as being taught by my dad when I was 5-7ish. Went to Judo when I was 11-18yrs and also went to a karate school for a short while during that time.

Since 20yrs old I have been doing kungfu also started Yang TaiChi at 23 whilst dabbling in Chen TaiChi and some boxing. So 7 years of kungfu for me and I feel like I've only just started (and in some ways I just have). Hopefully in another 7 years I will still be as passionate, but one thing I have noticed is that politics/infighting can really kill things for students, no matter how much they want to train.

5. beknar

beknar Valued Member

This stuff's in my signature, but I might as well qualify it here :)

Did 7 years in Shorin-Ryu karate, got beat up and literally ate dirt for 5 years, got suddenly good at it during my 6th year and stopped taking beatings on the street. Got beat up by a skilled southern CMA stylist using circular strikes and circular stepping in my 7th year.

Spent a long time weight lifting and still continue to lift weights.

Three years at a McKwoon. Got beat up by a Hung-Gar/Bagua stylist in many friendly sparring sessions. I think they use CLF form fairyism as a cover for the kickboxing and the grappling. Personally, I think the old man's the real deal, but he lets his Tudai do anything they want. Just started up at another CLF school that actually fits with what I want to do that has a MUCH less restrictive sparring ruleset along with a minimum amount of gear (gloves only) who eventually spar without any equipment.

6. calidris

calidris Valued Member

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Bom Chicka Wah wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :D

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  9. calidris

calidris Valued Member

:cool: Hee hee!I like stickying things :p[/QUOTE]

Really?? :D

10. 8-step4u

8-step4u Valued Member

I am a new practitioner I have had only six months training and feel like I have found my lifes hoby. I practice 8step Preying Mantis. Let me tell you my teacher is the bomb, I liked it so much i got my 9 yr old boy my 5 year old daughter and my wife into it. It is the best exercise ever.

11. KuKulzA

KuKulzA Taiwanese independence!

Da Jia How (everybody hi/good)

I started Kung Fu at the Plum Blossom Academy (formerly Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute Northwest Branch) on September 11, 2006. A very memorable date. The summer before I had sparred and gotten beat up by buddies who did Kempo and was very impressed with martial arts... an activity my parents had not allowed me to do before. I'm seventeen now and I control my life, it is only natural that now that I pay for my own expenses and care for myself in many ways, though not exactly out of home yet, I began what was my lifelong dream. I researched all over and found that Praying Mantis style was what I wanted. Coincidentally, Plum Blossom Academy teaches Yang Style Taiji and Seven Star Tang Lang and the place was great, affordable, and only 10 minutes from my home by car! I've never been very athletic, nor very coordinated, but the lean and enduring build, my determination, and my flexibility has really helped me pick things up and improve. My crooked legs bother me though... I had injured my knees in track before I quit it so I hope those won't be an issue in the future... but Kung FU has helped me have better posture, knee alignment, and strengthened my upper body more

so I have been training for less than a year but I love it... I am progressing very well and apparently picking the stuff up very quickly... but I must keep my mind on the training at hand. I'm doing Ji-ben Gong right now but I look forward to Tang Lang AFTER I have learned Lian-Bu Quan and improved my techniques in concert with moving (with monkey footwork), striking, kicking, and blocking... then I go on to learn mantis forms and techniques....

so life is lookin' good.... and if I go to college near my present residence, then I can continue training at my WuGuan, and if not, then maybe in San Diego near Shigong Antonio L. Puyot or Shifu Michael Dasargo if they'll have me (Puyot is MY Shifu's Shifu). But I believe my Shifu will help introduce me to other good teachers if the time comes for that. Nevertheless I still have another year before I am possibly leaving my WuGuan so I won't be worrying about it till then!

it's all very exciting and fun :D Seven Star Praying Mantis here I come!

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  12. Agarika

Agarika New Member

Well, my first taste of Martial Arts was at a Kamon Wing Chun class in Croydon, London. I would have been around 15-16 at the time. Trained there for about 6-7 months, before exams/schoolwork got the better of me (a shame, as I was due to go for my Yellow (1st) Sash grading). Still, I found that it wasn't really what I was looking for, it was very much self-defence orientated whereas I wanted a more all-round practice.

Upon coming to University, I looked for a Kung Fu club and didn't find any. I wasn't really into any of the other martial arts catered for at the university: Ninjutsu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc. Then someone started advertising on uni forums, asking if anyone was interested in starting a club. Turned out the guy was on my course, and together we set up the 'Exeter University Kung Fu Society'. I have now been studying Lau Gar Kuen for about a year and a half, and am thoroughly enjoying it. :)

13. Anathar

Anathar New Member

I'm a real novice considering martial arts, but they have alway caught my interest. I have tried aikido and iaido, but they weren't for me.

I started Tai Shin Mun kung fu early this year and I'm hooked. It really has some secret appeal to it that makes me addicted. I can't see myself quitting it anytime soon.

14. beast warrior

beast warrior New Member

1 year of shoushu (dont hate):D and stopped. now, it has been 1 month of clf.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Choy Li Fut for nearly 12 years. TKD for 3 years before that. Again I was only born a year before the OP started training.

16. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I started training SPM in Nov '97. Along the way, I've dabbled in ninjutsu, tai chi and wing chun, always with SPM as the core.

Throughout, I have had issues with consistency of effort, once taking a year out from classes when my private life was in crisis. Kung fu helps with everything, whether I'm clocking-in to classes or not.

17. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

been training in Laugar now for nearly three years, i fully intend to keep going as long as i can, also started doing a bit ofmuay thai on the side as well just for extra fitness and stamina training i find it does give a bit of a boost as my laaugar class is only on twice a week! :)

18. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Did TKD when I was 12 for 6 months
    Did a strange version of Nan Quan Wushu @13.....liked it better than TKD

Then a huge gap of no MA until I was 22. I then started Hung Kuen and CLF in 96...trained hard for 3 years. Fell off a 9ft ladder on the job and was out with back injury for 6 months....went on a few tours, had some F'd up relationships with women, got through that and started my Hung Kuen training again almost three years ago.

In between those years I managed to work on the few forms I knew best. Lau Gar Kuen(Hung Version) and Siu Moi Fa Kuen(CLF). Took those forms apart and put them back together countless times and actually used stuff in reality based scenarios and came through relatively unscathed...realized ''this stuff works''.

Now I'm back at the same Kwoon continuing my journey.

19. jonsey80

jonsey80 Valued Member

14 yrs of MA, 10 of which doing Wing Chun Kung fu.

20. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Agrees, Yea I here you! I am only 39 and the thing is I have been in Chinese system for 20 years. Bowes to 19lohan wonder if I will be in it that long! I also do Shuai Jiao it was part of the off shoot system of Pagua so I got to studying it from this guy that knew my instructor. Man it has been 20 years sense I meet my instructor!

I swear he does not look any older than when I meet him!Well hum, I think!