How long will they last?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by JWH, Aug 11, 2004.

1. JWH

JWH New Member

How long do you think the MMA fighter's careers will last. Pro boxers usually have 8-12 really productive years(after they turn pro) and then start going down hill. I know there are always exeptions to any rule, but since UFC and the others are relatively new I just wondered what you guys thought might be average career. As with any kind of hard contact sport, the body takes a lot of punishment irregardless of how condtioned you are, eventually its' going to take it's toll. 35-40 yrs old seems to be the breaking point in nearly all physicallly demanding sports, I wonder how these guys will fare after 40.

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

This is a really good question. Seeing as MMA as a sport in its incarnation as UFC type style fighting isn't that old it will be quite interesting to see how long some of these guys are able to keep fighting.

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Dan Severn is still fighting at the age of 50, Couture is 41 and still going strong, Maurice Smith and Marco Ruas both made an impact at or around 40.

MMA is different than boxing. You just don't take as much punishment. There are no standing 8 counts, and you can tap out at any time.

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Dan Severn is still fighting? WOW! My son and I just watched one of his early UFC fights and were wondering if he was still around.

He still reminds of Tom Selleck.

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Dan is 62-10-7, with his last win on July 31st of this year. He is a mainstay on the B-Level circuit, and has his own fight promotion in Indiana called Danger Zone.

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Yeah thats the difference between MMA in boxing think about it 12 long rounds of more than likely getting punched in and around the head numerous times its bound to take effect a lot sooner and with probably worse consequences than the quicker style

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

And im going to see Dan Severn fight James Thompson in Bristol in september. James Thompson is this HUGE guy, he's MASSIVE. Should be interesting to see :)

8. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Dan Severn is MMA's answer to all the 60+ year old 'masters'. :D He's living proof that MMA isn't just for twenty year olds.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  9. JWH

JWH New Member

I personally think they will last longer on the average, because of the stated reasons, mainly because the fights never last as long and they don't take such a massive amount of pounding to the head. As in my first post, I do think 50 is going to be one of the exceptions. Only time will tell.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I think to be 50 and still fighting full contact mma is a pretty good age in itself.