How Long to Black Belt

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Nails, May 1, 2006.

1. Nails

Nails Valued Member

My wifes uncle is a 1st Dan in Wado Ryu, he keeps asking me to give it a try.

Just out of curiousity I asked him how long it took him acheive his rank. I was gob-smacked when he said 7 years.

Is that normal for that style?

2. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

it all depends on the person. it may take 4 years for people. it may take 8 years for people. each person has his or her own learning style.

3. Fergie

Fergie New Member

I feel that the that it is not important any way, I would be happy to train as a white belt as long as I can train, go on give it a go.

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

the time to black belt is where the basics are learnt when you become a black belt that the real training begins. Why are so many people caught up in the Balck Belt = expert theory

5. Topher

Topher allo!

How long is a piece of string.

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

4 inches.

7. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

maybe your piece of string ;)

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

nope, my piece of string is 4 inches too. Coincidence? I think not.

9. kall

kall New Member

As my instructor always says all a belt does is hold your pants up, and let the instructor know what he's already taught you. Other than that they are meaningless. Besides you may learn 3000 ways to kill/maim/hurt/ or othewise abuse the body but your only going to get good at a few of them and then use them 100% of the time.

Kall

10. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

lol my dads been a 1st kyu for 15 years now, but for an average person id say about 4 ish years

11. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

depends on how often you train, how much you retain and somethign else that rhymes :) If you train and devote time to your art and your teacher is insturcting for the good of his students and not the good of his wallet at the core of the school, you will get your black belt when you are ready, no later, no sooner.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah so is mine, definitely seeing a pattern here. from this scientific evidence i can safely say all pieces of string are 4 inches long

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Well - I've been at it 5 years now and ain't got it yet.
    But I missed 2 possible kyu gradings cos my son got provisional (and I didn't want to jumpahead of him), and lost about a year with a knee problem (had an op).
    I reckon if you are fit when you start, are dedicated and train regularly, and are lucky and don't get injured, then you can do it in under 4 years.
    If you are really really really good, you can do it in 3 years.
    If you do it in less than 3 years, then you are either phenomenal, or are doing the wrong style.

14. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

This REALLY, REALLY depends on the instructor and the philosophy at your school. Different instructors will attach different meaning to giving out black belts and will demand different standards from their students as a result. In my club, the average is way above 4 years... in fact, the shortest time to black belt was just under 5. The average is probably closer to 10, but this includes people who have been training from a very young age... our instructor won't give out black belts until they are physically and mentally mature enough to handle it.

I've been training very intensely for 4 1/2 years (lately around 6 classes per week), and I look around at the black belts in our dojo and clearly see that I'm not there yet. Getting closer every day, but not at their level. There isn't one of them who hasn't really earned it or who I think would be a pushover in a fight. Most of them hand me my butt regularly in the ring.

There are far too many places that give them out like candy after a couple of years of training.

Attaching a number that is the "right" amount of time to train for it is silly. Does that mean that someone who took 12 years to get their BB is not as good as someone that got it in 3? I don't think so. Instead, the time difference may reflect the philisophy of the club, the age the person started, the intensity of their training, breaks for injuries, etc.

If you have to wait longer and train harder for your black belt, it will mean that much more (both to you, and in terms of your ability in your martial art) when you do get it.

chrispy had it right... you get it when you're ready... no sooner, no later.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  15. freak

freak Valued Member

my sensei told me the average person to come through his goju school recieve their black belts in 4-5 years

16. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

It took me just over 3 years to achieve Shodan. But I'm definately of the opinion it depends on the person and how they think they've progressed and whether or not they think they are ready.

17. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

It takes at least two years - but it takes longer for people to recognise you as a black belt due to factors such as attitude, respect shown to other MAists, etc. :rolleyes:

18. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

Respect is earned. People shouldn't just expect others to give them respect just because they have a black belt! :)

19. prowla

prowla Valued Member

In our style you earn huge respect by getting your BB.

20. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

thats because our dan gradings are alot harder than most other styles, in fact our style of karate is one of the hardest styles. its like you pay £100 to get the crap beaten out of you! lol