How long does it take to learn arnis/kali/escrima ?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by JKD guy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

I have heard that Angel Cabales claimed that anyone can learn the "basics" of Filipine martial arts (escrima, etc.) in 6 weeks.

Given that most FA martial arts teachers say the opposite ("train for 10 years, and then you will be intermediate", etc.), I am confused. (one reason is, they want you to pay fees for as long as possible, etc.).

What do you guys think ? How much training do you need to be "pretty good" ?

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Pretty good at what? Tournament style, forms, or realistic weapons based fighting?

In our club you should pretty much have got the basic strikes by the end of the first class, it will look a bit rough but it will be there, after 6 weeks, I'd say yes, you should be able to do all 12 strikes, block / parry them in some manner, and counter attack or disarm, would I put money on you in a fight, hell no :D

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Simple answer - as long as you've got.

Yes - basic techniques can be learned in a fairly short time. I can show you all of the "techniques" in the stickfighting that I teach in about 3 months. Then we'll spend the next 10 years and more teaching you how to actually hit a fully resisting opponent with them!

Technique light - strategy heavy. That's my Credo :D

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

How long does it take to learn anything? At the end of the day you can learn the basics of any fighting system in a matter of hours. Now perfecting them is a lifetime persuit.

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It takes a life time. Momoy Canete said to me once. I have been training for over 80 years and I am still learning each and every day. :)

6. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Funny how people think of the art like you would a college course. It's a way of life for some of us.

Tuhon Gaje used to take the smallest and some times , well so as not to start a debate I'll skip the gender and within five minutes of showing how to slash and thrust with the knife let her go out into the seminar group and ask the black belts of the school to try to disarm the person...non came close.

Most schools of thought strive in the HIGHER RANKS to learn how to deal with or train with weapons. We start the opposite way, day one is taught with a weapon.

How long to learn FMA depends on how complicated or simplified the system your learning. For one thing, if the proper basics are taught and adhered to then the advanced stuff is simply variations of the basics. Just how well can you perform the stuff depends on how long you put in to train it.

Basics= alphabet
    advanced = words and sentences.
    proficency in the art= penmanship
    total understanding = lifelong learning :love:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

how long? as long as it takes!

8. jaffas21

jaffas21 Valued Member

re: how long

I train in Teesside england

He has a four level grading system for escrima ( i understand doce paris is more formalised)

the first level is at 6 months, up until this level we do the strikes, blocks,disarms etc ... after about three months, it mainly consists of drilling the components into us, so when we go into level II, we have a good grounding in level I skills

Personally i think it depends how much time your willing to put in for you to have a degree of competancy. i have three hours of lessons, of stick fighting which are the max available + 2 hours open studio on a saturday or maybe some private tuition.

I would prefer more stick fighting in the curriculum, but my instructor needs to balance out the needs of karate people and kickboxers

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  9. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Technique light, strategy heavy!!!

Yoda, FYI, I'm stealing this. Maybe technique light, tactics heavy?

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Wow, Pat :eek:
    I guess you did FMA in your previous life as well

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Works for me :D

12. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

Parkinson's law

I think that maybe Parkinson's Law applies to FAs:

"The time it takes to do a task is exactly equal to the time allotted for it".

So if you say it will take you "10 years" to learn kali, it will !!! :rolleyes:

13. Pat OMalley

Yeah and I was a crazed axe murderer too :mad: :yeleyes:

Who knows maybe it has carried over ;)

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I suppose 'pretty good' is a completely relative term, pretty good compared to whom?

I'm pretty good compared to someone who's never picked up a stick, but I'm a piece of crap compared to Pat and Dave (Hi Guys! :D).

In MA it is all relative, just strive to be better than the guy ahead of you ;)

Col

15. Pat OMalley

:D (Head swells even bigger), I'm gonna have trouble getting throught the door now :eek:

How are you Freeform :D Back up your way in October maybe you need to help me and Paul try for the 2 barrels

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'll see if the Doc will let me out ;)

17. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I believe if some one is honnostly wants to learn a system especially kali or silat that time should be the last thing on their mind. That is relitive to any system as involved as these are, esspecially because their are some many veriations and different oppinons on how to apply and exicute different attacks and counters. Someone could spend alifetime and still not learn every thing about this system of fighting. Instead of worrying how long its going to take enjoy the time you have being able to learn this great art and some day it will all come together.

thanx moe389