How long does it really take to get a black belt?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Lafhastum, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sir has obviously never studied for an English Literature degree :D

To be fair, I doubt most people who gain a BB just do a couple of classes a week either, I know I was training 4xweek and lots of extra stuff at home when I took mine.

Mitch

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Funnily enough I have a BA(Hons) in English Language and Lit....if I hit 4hrs a week I was pushing it!

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Me too :D

All the best people have, you know!

Mitch

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

This 'Sir' * has never studied for GCSE in English lol an I did use the word 'assume' not nessecitate lol

I got that figure from the tables on the previous page. 18hrs a month as listed works out as 4.5hrs a week presumably 3x90 sessions? So seemingly that org thinks it's enough in theory.

*also I take offence to that term as I work for a living :)

5. blinki

blinki New Member

My degree 3hrs seminars/lecture plus 3hrs tutorial wasn't that uncommon. 7hrs week is maybe more average. I'm not sure my learning/training at home time is that different uni to TKD since I faff about less doing TKD. So I probably could argue it's the same study as 64% of a degree to black belt.

18hrs is typically 2x2hrs since you get 4 and a bit weeks.

6. Tjstreet

Tjstreet New Member

I don't know

I understand that it would take a long time to understand taekwondo but at the same time I don't think for some people it would take that much time I think you can learn very fast actually put to be able to fight properly I read that takes time but a good example is if you look at the ufc and some of there fighters have not done that long but learned the tactics and are just naturally good fighters which happens some people can just fight I've seen it my entire life and I have also seen black belts try to fight a person that has never taken martial arts or any kind of style in fighting still beat the black belt just because that person has been fighting there entire life and has became very good at it now as far as completing perfect forms in katas and the discipline side I believe would take some time but getting just the basics to reach black belt can be quick I think I could do it very fast in a year of 4 days a week but only because I am a fast learner and grasp things very quickly and learn by reading or watching someone once and it is committed to memory I have completed some training in a career just by reading a book for 2 weeks and passing a techniques course and this is for a class that they make students go for 2 years to complete and the trade is hvac I completed that and passed all exams to be state and federally licensed in two weeks so I don't think learning katas would be any harder as for fighting in a tournament I think I would do fairly well just do to me fighting a lot and being incarcerated and having to fight almost everyday for my well being my life so I think it really depends on the person and there learning curve

7. Tjstreet

Tjstreet New Member

This is what the International Tae Kwon Do Association says about the matter so to me as long as u can learn the things needed to do what it says at the bottom then u should be good

Awarding various colored belts to signify the achievement of new levels of expertise in karate (and other martial arts) is a relatively recent tradition. The colored belt is said to have been created by Jigoro Kano, the founder of judo, in 1888.The practice was then adapted into other martial arts, including karate. Grand Master James S. Benko of the International Tae Kwon-Do Association states that earning a belt not only indicates an advancement of rank, but an advancement of personal growth. Not every karate school uses all the colors, and the order of the colors may vary slightly. Belt colors can also be interpreted in more than one way.Requirements
    To progress from a red belt with a black stripe to a first-degree black belt, the International Tae Kwon Do Association has a variety of requirements. Physical requirements include pattern, one-step sparring, two-step sparring, free sparring and multiple free sparring. A student also needs to show competent self-defense against holds, club attacks, knife attacks and multiple unarmed opponents. Black belt candidates must be able to break a 3-inch board with a kick and with their hand. Beyond the physical requirements, students must write an eight-page essay and have knowledge of the history of martial arts.
    Related: Belt Levels in Jujitsu
    Black Belt
    The International Tae Kwon Do Association sets a minimum amount of time a student must hold one belt color before he can be considered for advancement to the next level. A student must hold the status of red belt with a black strip for nine months, or 162 practice hours, before being considered for advancement to a black belt. Progression from the white belt to the black belt could theoretically take three years and four months, though the actual time is usually much longer.