How long does it really take to get a black belt?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Lafhastum, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think what it means is "shut up and train", as opposed to worrying about a stupid belt

2. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Have there ever actually been any 10th dan masters?

3. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

No, no one has made it to the level of tenth Dan in TKD

4. Fish Of Doom

that's because in most orgs, tkd belts only go up to 9th, not because no one got there

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The founder was 9th degree, so it's kind of hard to progress much further :)

Mitch

6. Fish Of Doom

then again, funakoshi was 5th. i think only harada's shotokai stops grading at 5th nowadays

not that it means much, anyway, it's just a partially skill-independent hierarchical rank system (at least in JMA)

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think TKD ranks are largely honourary after 5th Dan anyway, it's about what you've done for TKD, not what you can do in TKD.

Mitch

8. Fish Of Doom

same for most of karate

9. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Zerodauto, I see what you mean, but mastering the basics would take place along the planned journey. For example, if you want to become a TKD instructor you would be wise to write down your main goal (becoming a TKD instructor) and then your mini-goals that are stages that you will go through along the way of achieving your main goal. For instance, get your black belt, take a instruction course, become certified as a physical trainer, etc.

It's great to focus on the here and now, but it's important to know where you're going (TKD instructorship ... :D) and how to get there (taking qualification test, etc.).

Sorry, I don't mean to hunt you or anything... :D

10. Fish Of Doom

if i want to become a taekwondo instructor, my first goal will be to learn taekwondo.

my second one will be to learn it REALLY well. given TMA class structure, this in itself involves getting past the first black belt.

all else is secondary, IMO

11. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

No need to apologize, you're right :D.

12. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

This is really, really awesome, thanks for sharing it!:cool::hat::cool:

13. mjn

mjn Valued Member

Can't believe there are people getting Black Belts in 18 months!!! Thats just crazy.

It took me 4 years to get my Black Belt, training 3 / 4 times a week.

14. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

I think this was from the Kung Fu series which I saw a replay of last weekend.

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Theres a school in Milwaukee where you can get one in six months via distance training....yeah that'd be one effective martial artist.....It took me five years for mine by the way.

16. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

WHAT!!! 18 months is too soon. Although my friend did tell me that If I actually went with Shotokan I could have my black belt in a year, but he also said the real training doesn't begin until black belt, but In my TKD the minimum time to get a black belt is 2 1/2 years. That's going 3 o 5 times a week.

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hold your breath.

Hold it.

Hold it.

Hold it.

There. Not only do you know have a black belt, you have multicolor facial skin pigments to match all of the other color belts.

18. Murdog

Murdog Valued Member

It took me 5 years to get to 1st Black.
    However, I started to lose heart when a guy at another school I belonged to at the time got his 1st BB in 1 year. I really got to thinking about my training. I mean... I know I busted my a#@ every day in training. And, I knew I was ready. Honestly I just think it was about trying to get other BBs in there to become instructors, 'cause, my instructor wanted out. Two years later, the school sold. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

I wanted to open my own school, but was afraid the "association" would force me to focus on selling contracts, and not training students! Who knows, I might be wrong about that, too. Hope everyone's day is going well.

19. Murdog

Murdog Valued Member

One thing I want to add to my above post. I recall my first instructor, who brought me through decided Red Belt. The school is run my him and his family. He has three boys, all grown men now. The oldest is a 5th degree and--I believe oversees a specific region now. The other two are instructors like their dad.

These guys teach for the love of the art, and for the benefit of the student. When I left to enlist in the Marine Corps, my tuition was $40/mo. And no contract. Now, I understand that we all need to make a living, and this knowledge is stock in trade.
    I remember him talking to us about training for the training and not for the "belt"

I'm not even sure if any of this is making sense, or not. I apologize for the babelling (sp).
    I just know that there are still high-quality instructors out there that teach for the right reasons, and still make a respectable living. And my hat's off to them!

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Heck the organization I belong to NOW will let you cross over from any other art at your current rank (with the appropriate fee of course). So if your a 6th dan in whatever, pay your check and POOF, your a sixth dan in the art I try to train in....