how important is strength in ameteur boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by LT987, May 4, 2012.

1. LT987

LT987 New Member

im quite new to boxing and was wandering, how much does strength matter in ameteur boxing, i have never seen an ameteur bout end in a knockout, and only the occasional injury (usually the nose) but these seem to have been because of where the punch was placed rather than the strength of the punch, what do you think?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

While strength shouldn't be ruled out I think you'll find technique and stamina more important. You'll work on exercises and drills to strengthen your muscles as you train (or at least should do) so I wouldn't worry about having to hit the gym daily or anything, not at that level anyway. Certainly wouldn't hurt in moderation though.

In my opinion.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. LT987

LT987 New Member

yesterday we were doing a circuit that involved exercises like you mentioned, as well as some cardio, so i think that your right, i also asked the coaches and more advanced boxers, they seem to think the same thing as you. thanks for your input.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Strength isn't really that big of a component in boxing overall... especially at the amateur level. Boxing isn't a weight pushing contest. It's about speed, reflexes and the ability to out think your opponent. Hit without being hit... ideally. The amateurs are especially about the ability to land many punches and maintain speed and elusiveness. Those who are punching with KO power in the amateurs are few and far between and many of them that are usually are the naturally heavy handed types... even that doesn't always necessarily translate into pro boxing once they move up.

If you're taking your boxing seriously there are a lot of priorities before you get to weight lifting. Footwork and coordination drills being the top two.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is there something to be said that amateur boxing is a younger mans game and therefore the people partaking aren't at their full powers yet?
    Boxers tend to go professional in their early 20's (that right?) and so only getting into their mature/strong years while the are fighting amateur?

6. LT987

LT987 New Member

thanks guys, i will take your advice into consideration and practice my footwork and speed more.

7. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Your endurance and stamina is definitely the more important aspect. However if you're going to be using weights just stick to compound / powerlifting type exercises that will develop all over and core power.

(Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Over head press, bent over rows etc)

8. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Two things to consider: ameteurs use larger gloves and the fights are shorter. Both of which make a "knockout" less likely, and mean that point scoring is more important in ametuer boxing. Slip is entirely correct in saying "Hit without being hit... ideally. The amateurs are especially about the ability to land many punches and maintain speed and elusiveness."

Re: your question about strength: boxing is not wrestling, so I presume your question about "strength" refers to punching power. You don't need "strength" (as most people would measure it) to hit hard, you need:

a: technique

b: explosive power

Concentrate on technique first. Punch at slow/medium speed until you develop good form. Stay relaxed! If you tense up before a punch you will be slower and have less impact. Loose muscles are faster and use less energy. Lifting heavy weights is counterproductive as it develops the slow-twitch muscle fibres. Once your technique is sound you can work on speed. By the time you have both you should have a respectable punch. Breathing is important too: I like to expel air on punching with a "PA!" sound. I find the "percussive" nature of the expulsion to help with explosive force.

I think of it this way: the body develops the power, either by stepping forward or by rotating the hips. The arm merely closes the distance. So when I punch the fist is curled but not clenched, the arm reaches not pushes. The moment before impact the fist clenches and the arm stiffens, giving a rigid structure that transfers the power generated by the body.

To put it simply, how much you can benchpress has little to do with how hard you can hit. A professional lightweight boxer could probably floor the average man, despite being "weaker" in terms of "how much can you lift" etc.

Muhammad Ali summed up the essence of boxing in one profound sentence: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." Note that he did NOT say: "Charge like a bull and swing like a battering ram".

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Sorry what?
    1). Lifting heavy and a concentric phase moving quickly helps develop fast twitch fibres not slow twitch (=endurance).
    2). A good boxer wants a mix of both fast and slow twitch to have speed and endurance.
    3). I agree that for a boxer/anyone learning a new skillset should work on technique first then eventually application strength and speed into that technique to make it powerful.

1). Agreed - benching press is not directly relevant to boxing ability as most strength coaches agree - the bench press sucks as a test of power output, the jerk might be more relevant.
    2). A pro boxer has technique and good application of his strength into a particular facet of combat, which the average man does not have.
    3). being stronger than your opponent enhances your ability to put power into a technique so once you reach a decent level of skill it's a good idea to start strength training. Most boxers in the UK have began including a good deal of strength training and have maximal weight cycles long before their competitions. Stronger = faster. Stronger + Technique = powerful techniques