How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Suffers from chronic bronchitis and still as successful as he is.

I'm not sure what my excuse is now :D

2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

So the Covid here was relatively under control and we had only a few dozen new cases a day and nearly all the restrictions were lifted. However, there were some local sperads and for the past couple of weeks. The new case count is growing yet again, more or less to the numbers we had at the peak of the pandemic here. So some restrictions are being put back in place, though not nearly as harsh, yet. Nothing really affecting me, although I think the masks will be made mandatory again in closed spaces soon. It seems the second wave is coming. :( I hope it won't get too bad.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well you went to school, and didn't have your parents bankroll you to train at a world class centre of excellence....... So theirs that!

Gordon's a big proponent that it's all a big hoax... And lives with his sick dad, so it will be interesting how this plays out, if Gordon's got it, most of Renzos team will have it too.

axelb likes this.
  4. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

It can't be a cult, it's not state approved! /s

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, our GM is in China and not able to travel for the foreseeable future. So, our school founder and head has been approved to supervise and promote advanced testing. I don't know if this will be a permanent change or just during this crisis.

There was rumor of GM being there for tests via Zoom. but now it has taken this direction. This is a pretty big change for my school's worldwide Federation.

6. IronMaiden1991

Well I've been doing a tonne of solo training but I can't really grapple on my own, so I'm working on all the things I remember:

My goju ryu kata I need for my next grading (gekisai dai ichi, dai ni, saifa, seiyunchin and sanchin)
    The drills I remember from kalaripayattu I picked up in India
    the piquan and stance work I'm learning from Ziranmen (I was due to go to a camp this summer to study it for 2 weeks, but with the lockdown my sifu is teaching me online and doing corrections and 1 to 1s with me)
    any little things I picked up from seminars, like some capoiera and the weapon drills I rememeber from escrima.

Other than that it's running/sprinting and yoga

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Been reading back over this thread and it's been a crazy few months. The way the situation developed.
    One upside for me has been being able to put time aside and work my way through the couch to 5k running plan and I'm now up to running 5k twice a week and one sprint session. So in fitness terms I feel I've really got somewhere. My pace is way off what I'd like for 5k (need to knock 45 seconds/a minute off each kilometre!) but at least it's regular and consistent.
    I also used my runs to mentally go back through my martial arts experiences over the years and put things into perspective. I've consolidated a lot of the TKD applications and bunkai stuff I've been working on over the last few years and made more online links with other people doing the same. Hoping to visit a few people when things are a bit more normal.
    I've been able to do several online sessions (both physical and theoretical) with one of my main martial influences (Iain Abernethy) and so that's been great. Normally that would be one or two sessions a year (but it's also meant I've missed doing those face-to-face session of course). In particular Iain was going to teach publicly a kata he's created for the first time. Something to look forward to for next year perhaps.

IronMaiden1991, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  8. IronMaiden1991

Garage gym training is rough atm. That said Im eating better and now I can nearly get my head to the floor in catterpillar pose (yin yoga) and its carrying over into my kick height and speed in kalari.

My post quarantine training is going to be interesting.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm teaching on Zoom 5 nights a week now, then running outdoor classes at weekends, so more teaching time than ever now.

This has killed training with my own Instructor as my classes clash with his, so I'm training for myself at home.

Back problems have plagued me recently, so I'm doing daily flow drills for my hips and lower back.

Stay safe everyone :)

Dead_pool and IronMaiden1991 like this.
  10. IronMaiden1991

you ever need any lower back or hip work I can dig out some of my yoga stuff for you and DM it your way?

Dead_pool and Mitch like this.
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yes please! I'm doing some stuff from Tom Morrison and Original Strength (check youtube if anyone is interested), but always open to more :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well apart from some direction from the Joint Aikikai Council regarding how to go about starting up again when we can there's no news on getting back to aikido soon. Being honest with myself, I can't get into the mindset to do some home training though seeing as I was almost up to speed after seven years out in two sessions I can't see that being a problem.

Climbing walls have been open a week and I'm letting those who practically live at the walls get their fill before I think about going back. As the line from X-Men 3 goes, "in chess the pawns go first".

One good thing about no climbing and no aiki is that I have evenings free to go fishing instead and I've probably fished more this year already than I have in years (fishing was one of the first sports allowed to resume). It's quite nice to sit next to a pond at sunset getting eaten by midgies with only birdsong and the sound of another fish going in the net.

13. IronMaiden1991

Judo is probably a long way off coming back for me so Im focusing on what I learned from Glima, Karate and Kalari for now. Lots of stick, kata, weapons and jumping around doing kicking combinations.

14. Nachi

Oh, so it is coming. Czech Republic managed the spring wave of the pandemic rather well. However, people complained too much, politians didn't want to do any more strict rules too soon and now the virus is spreading much much faster than ever before. We need to do something about it and the government has yet again declared a state of emergency. Trainings are again going to be restricted to 10 people at a time.
    I was a bit reluctant about karate trainings that were happenning in my teacher's school as they did have several covid positive people. And I skipped a couple of classes. My partner, however, did not, and I also went yesterday. I just learned one person at the Tuesday's training had Covid. My partner, sensei and everyone were now ordered to go into quarantine. Actually we had some other Covid positive people before, which means that all the black belts (if I include myself) and the brown belts are either ill or in quarantine. Technically speaking, I did not meet the positive person, but I had obviously had contact with my partner and we live together, so I guess I will have to quarantine myself as well, until everyone I met, who was at the Tuesday training tests negative. Damn. Or maybe we've actually contracted it. :( Now I will have to cancel the weekend seminars I was looking forward to, all the trainings, and pray I didn't catch it... Luckily, I didn't come in contact with my parents since then and hopefully I did not spread it to Taichi...

15. aaradia

Dang Nachi! Keep us posted! I hope you get through this unscathed! I hope your partner recovers quickly and with no lingering issues.

Stupid people complaining are making this thing worse. Instead of thinking the precautions are working, they whine and complain. We have public pressures like that going on here too.

I am even more cautious than my school's precautions. We have limited access inside the school, most classes are of a size that they are still outside. I barely go inside and I don't work out inside at all. Twice I have gone inside late, when the school has been almost empty for a long time just to ask a question. Once, I met in Tai Sifu's office for my membership. I waited outside until the meeting. They had upgraded the air conditioning and filters and I told Tai Sifu he could laugh at me, but I put trash bags over the chair I sat in and didn't touch anything in the office. I don't even use the restroom there.

Mostly, I stay outside and far away from most others. I had discussions with my two private instructors and they are living a safe life. Same with the three students I work out with. Close friends whom I know are being safe. But even then, outside and six feet away. And I won't work out with anyone without a mask, even though technically it isn't supposedly needed outside with social distancing. There are two classes I attend. But I go to the outside edge, and the instructors know I will bail on the class if I feel unsafe for any reason. The instructors are fully supportive of the extra precautions I take.

I am close to testing in Tai Chi, but I told my instructor if the test can't be held outside, I will wait to test. We were told if we feel comfortable only being outside that is ok, so I am hoping that applies to advanced tests too. Our GM is still in China, not being allowed to travel. But our School founder now has permission to run advanced tests.

Obviously, still no combatives or two person form contact allowed in our school.

Nachi likes this.
  16. Nachi

Thank you, I hope so, too. My partner doesn't know if he is positive or not, yet, so hopefully, neither of us will get it, but... I also just learned sensei has been to some event with another positive person on wednesday. Oh well.

You are taking good precautions. Good for you to be so strict about stuff. I was a bit worried about how the covid can spread in karate, as sensei still had us work in pairs at least for a bit, but I should have been stricter. If I wasn't supposed to help with the children class, I probably wouldn't have gone. But as Sett, my partner, was there anyway... I guess it doesn't matter. Actually, this week was the first time since starting trainings in September, that we were inside as it is getting colder and dark sooner.

I hope things go well for you and you can keep keeping distance.

I know you wrote this before in your log, about grading, I just forgot which of your arts it was in. So you do gradings in Taichi? I wasn't sure if there were any. In our school there aren't, so I just didn't know how it worked in other schools and other styles :) Cool.

17. aaradia

My school does gradings in both CLF and TCC. CLF and TCC as a whole don't have one governing body. Some CLF schools do gradings, some don't. And the gradings aren't universally the same across all CLF, like I believe say BJJ is?

TCC, I think my school is in the minority with having gradings. I think most schools do not, but I have no statistics on that. And again, the curriculum from various schools within the Plum Blossom International Federation do not have the same curriculum. I know our curriculum is different from out Grandmaster's school, for example.

Nachi likes this.
  18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Good luck Nachi. I hope you come out healthy and unharmed.

I got out of a two week isolation because one of my coworkers got it. It's worth noting there were seven of us all working in very close proximity all day, every day, but we were extremely regimented about wearing masks, and none of us caught it from him.

My workplace keeps having infections but can't shut down, and the infection rate is rising here because of bars, restaurants, strip clubs, and idiots who think having house parties and big street gatherings is a good idea.

Right now my family is really trying to push for a Thanksgiving gathering. They think we can all stay far apart in the backyard and everything will be fine. I think they're being reckless and they're having a hard time with me telling them no. I think that's the hardest part of this for me, the people who feel like I'm obligated to see them.

Grond likes this.
  19. aaradia

Good Gods! Haven't you posted here before that you are in the healthcare field somehow Ben? (I could be remembering this incorrectly.) Your family should listen to you!!!!!!

Yeah, as this drags on, I think those that are letting their guards down are thinking the rest of us should too. And there is a peer pressure. I have felt it, I know others who have felt it. But every time I feel like maybe I am being too extreme, something in the news or in local stats reminds me that I am on the right path and I need to stay strong, no matter what.

Stay strong. You are obligated to take care of yourself.

My friend put it this way and it helped me. I am paraphrasing.......... "You are not responsible for how others respond. You are not responsible for others having hurt feelings over this."

It's the people and governments not being vigilant, letting their guard down, caving to political pressures, that are making this worse. And then having the effect of dragging the effects on society and the economy down longer, which is what they are trying to avoid. It's so stupid!

Listen to scientists, listen to those in the healthcare field! I don't get why this is so hard for so many people!

Nachi and Morik like this.
  20. Nachi

Good to hear you didn't catch it and wore masks!
    Yep, we are closing bars again at 10 pm and there are some restrictions on the number of people inside. I am not planning to visit one, though, so I do not remember the rules well.
    I am just having a discussion with a friend, who again thinks people are worrying too much etc. I do not think I have the energy to argue with him right now, but it is people like this that make it harder for the rest of us. If people just resigned to wearing the masks since the end of summer and wouldn't complain about their freedom being taken away and other ridiculous things, this situation wouldn't have come.
    I am just getting a little bit angry about those complainers. We are now in a state of emergency because of all of this again. I hope they are all happy. If we were in a state of emergency for something different, say, war, would people also complain about having to sacrifice some of their freedom and staying at home? I don't even see how wearing a mask is a sacrifice of freedom, though. And to me it is all a little selfish of them.
    Because of this and the government listening to all thos complaints, we are breaking records in the number of new covid cases three days in a row now. I have a grandma who lives in a different part of the Czech Republic and has been taken to a hospital in August. We haven't been able to go visit her since then because of fear of possibly bringing covid with us. Neither did we visit my grandpa and the rest of the family living with her becasue of the fear we could spread something to my grandpa. My grandma in the hospital seems to not be doing so great mentally. My dad called her and she was angry he didn't even come to visit her and it breaks my heart. Now for the past threee weeks, she is not allowed any visitors at all. Not even the family that lives close to her. They can¨t even send her any food she asked for. She might be getting worse, mentally, and we can't even do anything about that. But of course, why would people have to make such a great sacrifice like wearing masks and keepin g a distance? It is their freedom, after all.

aaradia likes this.